Careers

Are employers supposed to pay for Training?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2013 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
May 12, 2006
149 posts
16 upvotes

Are employers supposed to pay for Training?

Just recently got hired by a security agency and they asked me to attend a effing 3 day of training, which they claim is unpaid.

What in the hell is this? I thought all training is supposed to be paid by law in ontario. Also the company asked me to pay for the effing uniform as well, is there no laws for these things? i searched the employment standards act and the page seems to only talk about the minimum wage.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
TechFundi wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 5:50 pm
Just recently got hired by a security agency and they asked me to attend a effing 3 day of training, which they claim is unpaid.

What in the hell is this? I thought all training is supposed to be paid by law in ontario. Also the company asked me to pay for the effing uniform as well, is there no laws for these things? i searched the employment standards act and the page seems to only talk about the minimum wage.
Teachers pay for their own training (i.e. courses needed to advance)

This topic was in the news a few weeks back. Remember listening on the radio (believe it was for Rouge). The employment lawyer that was brought on the talkshow said it wasn't against any laws...just against common practice and worried that it set a dangerous precedent.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7274 posts
1056 upvotes
Edmonton
In Alberta, you're paid for work related training once hired. Some jobs require specific training (CPR/First Aid etc) as a pre-requisite... just like a degree or diploma is required.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2589 posts
166 upvotes
TechFundi wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 5:50 pm

Making you pay for the uniforms is fine, but deducting the cost from your pay is questionable unless they do it in the correct manner.

Training is a bit trickier in your circumstances. If you're already employed by them and it's required, it needs to be paid. If no to either of those, then probably not.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2589 posts
166 upvotes
Oh yeah, I'm assuming the training was a pre-condition of your employment (hence a bit trickier) and that you're in Ontario, in which case I'm pretty sure this is all on the Ministry of Labour website...
Jan 23, 2008
121 posts
22 upvotes
Burlington
I used to work at a gym and had to pay for my uniform there so its not something that's uncommon.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1806 posts
82 upvotes
Since it's a security job - is the training required to obtain a certain license? The company is most likely paying for the cost of licensing. With Correctional Services once you pass all test and interviews you have to attend correctional services school for 2 months and it cost $2000. I don't think the employer is breaking any labour laws - paid or unpaid training is at the discretion of the employer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7697 posts
320 upvotes
Agreed... if it's a job REQUIREMENT... our employer pays 100%... now if it's something I want to do to improve my career aspects/self improvement etc (has to be somewhat job related)... they pay 80 or 90% i forget. Of course something costing like $20k would have to go through couple of approvals.
Aristophanes wrote:
Jul 12th, 2013 4:14 am
Some of you guys have some pretty bad employers where you have to pay for work-related training/things yourself.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
× < >