Careers

Employment Insurance - End of Contract: Am I eligible?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 11:42 am
Tags:
None
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
4 upvotes

Employment Insurance - End of Contract: Am I eligible?

Earlier this year I accepted a 7-month contract position. I was told upon signing on board that room could possibly be made for a full-time position.

My contract has now expired. Unfortunately, owing to staffing concerns due to a merger, the company could not keep me on board. I am now unemployed.

Today I got my Record of Employment (ROE) mailed to me from my employer. Under Section 16 (Reason for issuing this ROE) the reason cited is "E" with comment "Quit / Return to school". This is erroneous - I didn't quit on my own terms and I'm not going back to school. I'm concerned that this will make me ineligible for EI while I seek another job.

Should I go back to the employer and have them redo the ROE? I intend to cite the Service Canada site:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/e ... uide.shtml
"Helpful hint: If the reason for issuing the ROE is an end of contract, an end of season, a temporary shutdown of operations or any other reason equivalent to a "shortage of work", indicate reason code "A". Do not include these comments in Block 18."
I believe under these terms I should qualify for EI?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
Why don't you just call Service Canada? They have service reps for this sort of thing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
Years ago I worked for them (when they were called UIC) and one aspect of my job was to get to the truth of why a person was no longer employed with the employer.

I would suggest that you do not delay in filing for your benefits as this could cause you problems later. I would include a detailed explanation as to all the things that resulted in your no longer working for the company. The agent who reviews your claim will then have to clarify with the employer as to why there is a discrepancy in the reasons given by you and the employer.

Do you have any idea why the employer would have said you quit? Was there a problem or any incident near or at the end of your contract that would explain why they said this?
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
4 upvotes
I believe it's just a mistake.

I talked to a colleague at the same firm who was in the same situation and whose contract ended a month earlier. Her ROE states A - shortage of work/end of contract. She is now collecting EI.

I've emailed HR and asked that my ROE be redone and sent back to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
If you have enough hours worked in the last 12 months. Yes you'll be eligible.

I worked a 5 month contract and didn't get extended, it made me eligible for EI because I had enough hours.
Mar 16, 2009
23 posts
1 upvote
Airdrie
When you apply on-line, if you state the reason for separation as "shortage of work" and the ROE states it is "quit", that automatically triggers a process where a payment services officer has to resolve the discrepancy.

Usually we just call the employer and get clarification and then phone the client (you) for a verbal agreement. In your case, it does sound like a genuine mistake, so I dont anticipate that you will have any major issues collecting EI as long as you have the prerequisite insurable hours and earnings.
Aug 13, 2008
57 posts
2 upvotes
Talk to your employer because the ROE should be listed as Shortage of work. They didn't renew your contract or allow you to stay. So you should be qualified for E.I
Nov 27, 2010
24 posts
2 upvotes
dymondk wrote: Talk to your employer because the ROE should be listed as Shortage of work. They didn't renew your contract or allow you to stay. So you should be qualified for E.I
Sorry to bump this from 2009, but my dad's contract just ended. He was a contract employee paying CPP, EI, etc. but, his contracts were in 3-month intervals and would end, and they would sign him up again for another 3-month employee contract (paying CPP EI).

He just finished his current 3-month role and they didn't renew him. His ROE says "Code K: other" in Box 16, which I know is wrong and should be Code A: end of contract. But also his insurable earnings only show his past 3 months of work. They don't show the other 12+ months he was working 3-month contracts in a row, without interruption, paying CPP EI.

So this ROE means that my dad may be denied for EI, or be eligible for very little even though he's been working for 1-2 years straight.

Am I correct in my thinking, that he should be able to apply for EI and his insurable earnings should show his work/hours over the past 12+ months, and not just his current 3-month term? I think the HR person did it incorrectly...
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
mzebby wrote: Sorry to bump this from 2009, but my dad's contract just ended. He was a contract employee paying CPP, EI, etc. but, his contracts were in 3-month intervals and would end, and they would sign him up again for another 3-month employee contract (paying CPP EI).

He just finished his current 3-month role and they didn't renew him. His ROE says "Code K: other" in Box 16, which I know is wrong and should be Code A: end of contract. But also his insurable earnings only show his past 3 months of work. They don't show the other 12+ months he was working 3-month contracts in a row, without interruption, paying CPP EI.

So this ROE means that my dad may be denied for EI, or be eligible for very little even though he's been working for 1-2 years straight.

Am I correct in my thinking, that he should be able to apply for EI and his insurable earnings should show his work/hours over the past 12+ months, and not just his current 3-month term? I think the HR person did it incorrectly...
The employer should either amend his ROE to include all hours worked in the last year or give him multiple ROEs for each contract. Reason for separation should also be updated too. Either way employer needs to correct the ROE
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1401 posts
355 upvotes
mzebby wrote: Sorry to bump this from 2009, but my dad's contract just ended. He was a contract employee paying CPP, EI, etc. but, his contracts were in 3-month intervals and would end, and they would sign him up again for another 3-month employee contract (paying CPP EI).

EI looks at the amount of insurable hours over the last 52 weeks from all the jobs you've had.
Jan 9, 2017
11 posts
What happens when you quit a job and then start another one? Do my hours just go back to zero and I have to earn again or am I disqualified from EI for a period of time?

I quite a job earlier this year (intolerable to stay but I don't want to drag my manager into it by claiming I had no choice) and started work shortly after in a contract position.

So I did leave a permanent job for a temporary one and have now worked more than 900 hours in the new job.

Does leaving a perm job for temp mean I cannot get EI for my new job even though I have done the amount of hours (excluding those worked in the job I quit)?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Gtwin82 wrote: What happens when you quit a job and then start another one? Do my hours just go back to zero and I have to earn again or am I disqualified from EI for a period of time?

I quite a job earlier this year (intolerable to stay but I don't want to drag my manager into it by claiming I had no choice) and started work shortly after in a contract position.

So I did leave a permanent job for a temporary one and have now worked more than 900 hours in the new job.

Does leaving a perm job for temp mean I cannot get EI for my new job even though I have done the amount of hours (excluding those worked in the job I quit)?
You have enough new hours to qualify so it doesn't matter about the quit
Jan 9, 2017
11 posts
clseea wrote: You have enough new hours to qualify so it doesn't matter about the quit
Awesome! Thank you so much I was worried. I'm new to Canada so EI is very new to me.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1401 posts
355 upvotes
A few Rule of thumbs folks when it comes to EI ...

1. NEVER assume you won't get EI because you were "fired". 9 times out of 10 the employer still puts it down on the ROE as a layoff.

2. If EI denies your claim, ALWAYS appeal. (This rule applies to those of you applying for Income Support too)

3. NEVER assume you don't have enough hours to make a claim. I see so many clients applying for Income Support who assumed they weren't eligible for EI and they are.
Mar 10, 2017
2 posts
I have a similar question. I currently have a permanent job in which i have worked for more than a year. I am thinking of quitting this permanent to take up a temporary 3 month fulltime job offer . There is a very minute chance of the job getting extended. After the end of this 3 months would I still be eligible for EI if I cant find any other job or the job doesn't get extended?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
madd5678 wrote: I have a similar question. I currently have a permanent job in which i have worked for more than a year. I am thinking of quitting this permanent to take up a temporary 3 month fulltime job offer . There is a very minute chance of the job getting extended. After the end of this 3 months would I still be eligible for EI if I cant find any other job or the job doesn't get extended?
No
Mar 10, 2017
2 posts
is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
madd5678 wrote: is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
It's because quitting a permanent job for a short term temporary job won't be deemed just cause. You're essentially creating your own unemployment by switching to such a temporary position.
Apr 6, 2017
1 posts
Hi I have a similar question :

I have worked 2 jobs on renewable contracts (both renewed once over 8 months), together totalling full-time hours, and I have enough hours for EI.
A month ago I took another temporary contract but his one was for no set number of hours. I was told it could be 0-15 hrs a week. Then the demands of the position changed and I received an email saying they wanted to hire someone who could prioritize recruitment (I'm primarily a reseRcher) so they were giving me 2 weeks notice.

I was only in this job for 2 weeks and only did 18 hours of work for them. I am still working on the other two contracts, both of which expire at the end of April. Does losing this third contract make me ineligible for EI? They didn't say I was fired in their email but would they list it as fired in the ROE? Can I still get EI?

Elise
Jan 9, 2017
11 posts
Hi

I have another question around the process. I applied online and it said I had to provide my work permit as I am a temporary worker.

I was sent an access code and now have full access to my account. But when I log on I see no claim.

I went to the service Canada today and provided the work permit and asked her, and she said I wouldnt see anything on my account.

So how do I know if my claim is received and when will I hear anything?

I don't want to wait around for weeks to then find out thy didn't receive it.

Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)