Careers

Employment Insurance - End of Contract: Am I eligible?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
madd5678 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 6:01 pm
I have a similar question. I currently have a permanent job in which i have worked for more than a year. I am thinking of quitting this permanent to take up a temporary 3 month fulltime job offer . There is a very minute chance of the job getting extended. After the end of this 3 months would I still be eligible for EI if I cant find any other job or the job doesn't get extended?
No
Mar 10, 2017
2 posts
is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
madd5678 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:40 am
is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
It's because quitting a permanent job for a short term temporary job won't be deemed just cause. You're essentially creating your own unemployment by switching to such a temporary position.
Apr 6, 2017
1 posts
Hi I have a similar question :

I have worked 2 jobs on renewable contracts (both renewed once over 8 months), together totalling full-time hours, and I have enough hours for EI.
A month ago I took another temporary contract but his one was for no set number of hours. I was told it could be 0-15 hrs a week. Then the demands of the position changed and I received an email saying they wanted to hire someone who could prioritize recruitment (I'm primarily a reseRcher) so they were giving me 2 weeks notice.

I was only in this job for 2 weeks and only did 18 hours of work for them. I am still working on the other two contracts, both of which expire at the end of April. Does losing this third contract make me ineligible for EI? They didn't say I was fired in their email but would they list it as fired in the ROE? Can I still get EI?

Elise
Jan 9, 2017
9 posts
Hi

I have another question around the process. I applied online and it said I had to provide my work permit as I am a temporary worker.

I was sent an access code and now have full access to my account. But when I log on I see no claim.

I went to the service Canada today and provided the work permit and asked her, and she said I wouldnt see anything on my account.

So how do I know if my claim is received and when will I hear anything?

I don't want to wait around for weeks to then find out thy didn't receive it.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Gtwin82 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:51 pm
Hi

I have another question around the process. I applied online and it said I had to provide my work permit as I am a temporary worker.

I was sent an access code and now have full access to my account. But when I log on I see no claim.

I went to the service Canada today and provided the work permit and asked her, and she said I wouldnt see anything on my account.

So how do I know if my claim is received and when will I hear anything?

I don't want to wait around for weeks to then find out thy didn't receive it.

Thanks
You only get an access code if your application went through. Plus there was a confirmation number at the end of your application online. Or call in and have an agent look
Jan 9, 2017
9 posts
What kind of timeframes have people had between submitting the application with all roes and actually receiving a payment!

I have heard it's not unusual to wait 8 weeks and if that happens, does it get back
Paid (7 weeks) or do your weeks of ei start from the first payment?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1360 posts
400 upvotes
Gtwin82 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 6:35 pm
What kind of timeframes have people had between submitting the application with all roes and actually receiving a payment!

I have heard it's not unusual to wait 8 weeks and if that happens, does it get back
Paid (7 weeks) or do your weeks of ei start from the first payment?
No waiting 8 weeks is unusual. The general processing time frame is 4 weeks. The first week is an unpaid waiting period. Other than that you would get the rest of the weeks owed.

If you're that backed up I would call the call Centre and start the escalation process.
Jan 9, 2017
9 posts
Thanks to everyone for helping me out with questions. I am an EI newbie so much appreciated.

I have questions around the tax.

1) Am I correct that they deduct tax before I get the payment?

2) how do I know they deducted the right amount of tax and I won't get a big tax bill?

3) if this is the first year I have ever claimed does the exemption apply? And if so, what is that exemption?

Is it that even if I earn more than 64k limit I won't pay any additional tax for the first year?

I have assumed from what I read that tax is taken before you receive it, and if I start working and earn more than the limit then I will have to pay up to and additional 30% tax at the end of the year?

Very confused so appreciate someone helping me out
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7711 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Gtwin82 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:05 pm
Thanks to everyone for helping me out with questions. I am an EI newbie so much appreciated.

I have questions around the tax.

1) Am I correct that they deduct tax before I get the payment?

2) how do I know they deducted the right amount of tax and I won't get a big tax bill?

3) if this is the first year I have ever claimed does the exemption apply? And if so, what is that exemption?

Is it that even if I earn more than 64k limit I won't pay any additional tax for the first year?

I have assumed from what I read that tax is taken before you receive it, and if I start working and earn more than the limit then I will have to pay up to and additional 30% tax at the end of the year?

Very confused so appreciate someone helping me out
1. Yes it's taxed
2. It's based on what you indicated on your application. Call in to have it changed if you're worried about the tax not being enough. Generally by default it's sufficient
3. Tax exemption? No there isn't one unless you're status Indian

You need to net more than approx 64k for there to be a clawback.
Jan 9, 2017
9 posts
thanks all for the help. finally got an EI payment today, after starting my claim April 2 and after 3 escalations.

one more question, I have been told I have 18 weeks and will only use 8 of those as I am expecting a job offer this week.

I that goes ahead, it is for 6 months, so does that mean in 6 months I can apply for EI again for the remaining 10 weeks?

Thanks
Jul 28, 2017
1 posts
Hi, I have a question. I was working at two restaurants at the same time, one is a full-time position which I started six months ago and another one is a part time job I've been working for more than two years. I recently quit the part time job one month ago and I figure it out that owner of my current job is changing soon and the new owner said that whoever is willing to stay can still work under the same condition, but I don't want to work under new ownership. Am I eligible for EI?