Careers

Employment Insurance - End of Contract: Am I eligible?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2017 9:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
madd5678 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 6:01 pm
I have a similar question. I currently have a permanent job in which i have worked for more than a year. I am thinking of quitting this permanent to take up a temporary 3 month fulltime job offer . There is a very minute chance of the job getting extended. After the end of this 3 months would I still be eligible for EI if I cant find any other job or the job doesn't get extended?
No
Mar 10, 2017
2 posts
is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
madd5678 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:40 am
is it because i will not have enough hours in the new job?( the new job is not a contract and EI contribution will be cut from my pay ) I thought EI calculations are made based on 12 month window, isn't it?
It's because quitting a permanent job for a short term temporary job won't be deemed just cause. You're essentially creating your own unemployment by switching to such a temporary position.
Apr 6, 2017
1 posts
Hi I have a similar question :

I have worked 2 jobs on renewable contracts (both renewed once over 8 months), together totalling full-time hours, and I have enough hours for EI.
A month ago I took another temporary contract but his one was for no set number of hours. I was told it could be 0-15 hrs a week. Then the demands of the position changed and I received an email saying they wanted to hire someone who could prioritize recruitment (I'm primarily a reseRcher) so they were giving me 2 weeks notice.

I was only in this job for 2 weeks and only did 18 hours of work for them. I am still working on the other two contracts, both of which expire at the end of April. Does losing this third contract make me ineligible for EI? They didn't say I was fired in their email but would they list it as fired in the ROE? Can I still get EI?

Elise
Jan 9, 2017
4 posts
Hi

I have another question around the process. I applied online and it said I had to provide my work permit as I am a temporary worker.

I was sent an access code and now have full access to my account. But when I log on I see no claim.

I went to the service Canada today and provided the work permit and asked her, and she said I wouldnt see anything on my account.

So how do I know if my claim is received and when will I hear anything?

I don't want to wait around for weeks to then find out thy didn't receive it.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7584 posts
1198 upvotes
Edmonton
Gtwin82 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:51 pm
Hi

I have another question around the process. I applied online and it said I had to provide my work permit as I am a temporary worker.

I was sent an access code and now have full access to my account. But when I log on I see no claim.

I went to the service Canada today and provided the work permit and asked her, and she said I wouldnt see anything on my account.

So how do I know if my claim is received and when will I hear anything?

I don't want to wait around for weeks to then find out thy didn't receive it.

Thanks
You only get an access code if your application went through. Plus there was a confirmation number at the end of your application online. Or call in and have an agent look
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel