• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 4:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9635 posts
2281 upvotes

employment law question

i currently dont have a travel compenent in my employment contract, in the last few years i have traveled at least 30 nights out of town, i no longer wish to do this and simply decline the request when it next happens, is this grounds for a just cause termination?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16515 posts
2195 upvotes
Sure you can decline, but your company can also fire you with no cause - as long as they provide severance of course.
Last edited by coolspot on Mar 6th, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9635 posts
2281 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 1:07 pm
Sure, but they can also fire you with no cause - as long as they provide severance of course.
oh i know i can be fired at anytime in a job, but does this amount to just cause?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11674 posts
2690 upvotes
Montréal
I assume that you already looked at your employment contract and there's nothing?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9635 posts
2281 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:31 pm
I assume that you already looked at your employment contract and there's nothing?
you bet. its very basic and generic.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
Even with per diem before, I still didn't like travelling as it meant having to be twice as efficient obtaining docs from audit clients.

Are looking for outside opportunities?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10375 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 1:08 pm
oh i know i can be fired at anytime in a job, but does this amount to just cause?
What province are you in?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
I suspect there won't be a clear cut answer for you. If you're concerned about your severance, it may come down to a legal discussion, and the fact that you've done the travel for years without complaint will count against you. You may want to consult with an employment lawyer in advance.

Typically, companies would rather just terminate without cause, and pay out the required severance. Less hassle, less likely to bite them in the butt. No guarantees, though. The more expensive the buyout, the greater the likelyhood of them trying to reduce their payout.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5035 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
If your boss asks you to travel, you decline and say no, never again and he insists, that is insubordination and grounds for dismissal with cause in my laymans understanding.

Previous poster is correct - having traveled in the past counts against you.
Jan 9, 2019
1 posts
I think there won't be an obvious response for this question. In case you're worried about your severance, it might come down to a lawful dialog, and the way that you've done the movement for quite a long time without objection will represent a mark against you. You might need to counsel with a work legal advisor ahead of time.