Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 14, 2010
156 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton

Empty iPhone Box - Scammed off Kijiji

I already know I'm an idiot for sending out an e-mail transfer for something before receiving the product but I had found someone selling an iPhone 7 Plus from Regina on Kijiji.

He sent me a picture of the IMEI and Serial Number from the box. Checked on Apple's warranty website - everything checks out. Phone hasn't been activated yet. I checked the serial number again today on Apple's website and it shows warranty until August 22, 2018 meaning someone activated the phone on August 22, 2017 the day it was shipped out.

I send him the money. He sends me the tracking information. I get the parcel today and it ends up being everything with the box and accessories all brand new except the phone was taken out. The parcel shipping slip says 0.296kg on the parcel so I went to Canada Post and weighed the package as is and it was 0.296kg so that means the parcel was shipped out from Regina with the phone removed to begin with.

Contacted the seller and he said it may have been taken out by a CP employee during shipping, blames the person working at the Canada Post office where he shipped from, etc. He refuses to send me a picture of the receipt which I know will have the weight of the package on it AND he refused to put the return address on the package so I know he's the one who took out the phone. Haven't received a refund yet either. I'll be filing a police report with my local police station here and I called Regina Police and they said they can't take a report from me directly since I'm so far away but my local police will be able to forward it to them.

Here's all the info I have from the guy if anyone can help track down a real name or address or new phone number as his old one says not assigned now but he says it's because he's "in the USA with a different SIM right now":

Name he provided me and wrote on the parcel: Mason Sanford
E-mail I sent the e-mail transfer to: mduprasca@outlook.com
Phone Number: 306-880-5940 (It says not assigned when calling but WhatsApp messages still go through to him at this number and he is replying to them on there)
Address of post office he shipped it from: 420 Albert Street, Regina, Saskatchewan, S4R 3J0

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated. I also have the Serial Number and IMEI of the phone if anyone can trace the iCloud e-mail address it might be linked to using that information.

Thank you in advance.
7 replies
Feb 13, 2015
273 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is really unfortunate OP, but I don't know what to say.
Way to many red flags that were obvious from the get go.
E-transfer=Fail
Fake US number = Fail
Fake email= Fail
Fake name=Fail

I'm guessing the offer was to good to be true so you decided to take the plunge = Fail.
Good luck, hope the police do something, they probably won't but at least this makes you learn a lesson the hard way!
[OP]
Aug 14, 2010
156 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
Number wasn't a USA one. It was a local Regina, SK number plus he gave me the exact IMEI and Serial Number which all checked out before he sent them. Even the box he sent was the same ones. Just with the phone removed.
Nov 9, 2005
772 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
jasbains. wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 7:06 pm
I already know I'm an idiot for sending out an e-mail transfer for something before receiving the product but I had found someone selling an iPhone 7 Plus from Regina on Kijiji.

He sent me a picture of the IMEI and Serial Number from the box. Checked on Apple's warranty website - everything checks out. Phone hasn't been activated yet. I checked the serial number again today on Apple's website and it shows warranty until August 22, 2018 meaning someone activated the phone on August 22, 2017 the day it was shipped out.

I send him the money. He sends me the tracking information. I get the parcel today and it ends up being everything with the box and accessories all brand new except the phone was taken out. The parcel shipping slip says 0.296kg on the parcel so I went to Canada Post and weighed the package as is and it was 0.296kg so that means the parcel was shipped out from Regina with the phone removed to begin with.

Contacted the seller and he said it may have been taken out by a CP employee during shipping, blames the person working at the Canada Post office where he shipped from, etc. He refuses to send me a picture of the receipt which I know will have the weight of the package on it AND he refused to put the return address on the package so I know he's the one who took out the phone. Haven't received a refund yet either. I'll be filing a police report with my local police station here and I called Regina Police and they said they can't take a report from me directly since I'm so far away but my local police will be able to forward it to them.

Here's all the info I have from the guy if anyone can help track down a real name or address or new phone number as his old one says not assigned now but he says it's because he's "in the USA with a different SIM right now":

Name he provided me and wrote on the parcel: Mason Sanford
E-mail I sent the e-mail transfer to: mduprasca@outlook.com
Phone Number: 306-880-5940 (It says not assigned when calling but WhatsApp messages still go through to him at this number and he is replying to them on there)
Address of post office he shipped it from: 420 Albert Street, Regina, Saskatchewan, S4R 3J0

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated. I also have the Serial Number and IMEI of the phone if anyone can trace the iCloud e-mail address it might be linked to using that information.

Thank you in advance.
Collect screen shots or logs from emails/Whatapp and print them. Go to the police station with printed documentation, screen shots, chat logs, the iPhone box, the shipping label/packaging, etc. and tell them you would like to report fraud.

They'll file a police report and potentially be able to bring up any surveillance camera footage during the investigation at the post office where the person mailed the package.

This could take weeks to complete and nothing may come out of it even if they do have the suspect on camera. Usually though, these guys may commit multiple instances of fraud, so if that's the case then they could speed up the investigation.

Good luck OP, hopefully you're able to get your money back or at least see this guy prosecuted for his crime.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1642 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
jasbains. wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you in advance.
I wouldn't call you an idiot. It sounds like you did your due diligence.

Why don't you call the postal outlet at that address, explain your story and ask the person to ask their co-workers if they remember the guy who mailed that parcel? Who knows, the scammer could be a regular there. Workers tend to be friendly. When my wallet was stolen, I went to the store where my credit card was used and I got a good description of the thief from the clerk.

That outlet is in a pretty downscale neighbourhood so I doubt that the scammer is a criminal mastermind. My wife grew up there and we visited last month for old time's sake.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13718 posts
9214 upvotes
Toronto
Your money is gone. Police won't do anything. Expensive lesson learned.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2041 posts
119 upvotes
Hard to believer someone actually send money to someone FIRST before they get anything from kijiji...
Kijiji is strictly for meet up in person only.
I dont think theres anyway you can get your money back at this point even EMT you can add multiple different email address.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39177 posts
1353 upvotes
Richmond Hill
johnmoon wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:28 pm
Hard to believer someone actually send money to someone FIRST before they get anything from kijiji...
Kijiji is strictly for meet up in person only.
I dont think theres anyway you can get your money back at this point even EMT you can add multiple different email address.
You'd be surprised. I have sold quite a handful of things (not high profile items like phones, but still) through Kijiji where the buyer requested I ship it to them, and agree when I tell them I only take EMT. Granted, the most expensive package I've done this way was only a couple hundred bucks, but these deals do exist.
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)