• Jan 28th, 2011 7:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 17, 2010
13 posts
GTA

Enbridge Charges

I moved into my new home a few month ago and began receiving my gas and utilities statements, along with "new owner fees" shortly after. My utilities bill was over $200 after living in my home for less 3 weeks! There was a $200 deposit for being a new home owner.

I just received my utilities statement today and it was $25.57, which is more reasonable. However, my Enbridge bill was $108.44 with most of the charges coming from:
Customer Charge - $18.49
Delivery to you - $15.95
Transportation to Enbridge - $10.21
Gas Supply Charge - $31.48

New Direct Energy Home Services Charges - $23.50 - I'm not sure but is this a description of the total cost of gas that I'm using or is that the Gas Supply Charge above?

HST - $12.48 (Thanks to Dalton McGuinty)

It seems tha no matter how low I turn down the temperature, the costs of gas will still be high. When I'm working during the day, I turn it down to 16 and in the evenings, it's between 18-19. I find that since my townhouse is in the middle, it's not as cold. I'm not sure this has anything to do with it but it seems to help. I also dress warmer so that I can keep the cost of my gas bill down but it doesn't matter because there are so many charges that we have no control over.

What do you pay on average per month? Are my charges reasonable?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10272 posts
1148 upvotes
Markham
fitgirl37 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 5:41 pm
I moved into my new home a few month ago and began receiving my gas and utilities statements, along with "new owner fees" shortly after. My utilities bill was over $200 after living in my home for less 3 weeks! There was a $200 deposit for being a new home owner.

I just received my utilities statement today and it was $25.57, which is more reasonable. However, my Enbridge bill was $108.44 with most of the charges coming from:
Customer Charge - $18.49
Delivery to you - $15.95

New Direct Energy Home Services Charges - $23.50 - I'm not sure but is this a description of the total cost of gas that I'm using or is that the Gas Supply Charge above?

It seems tha no matter how low I turn down the temperature, the costs of gas will still be high. When I'm working during the day, I turn it down to 16 and in the evenings, it's between 18-19. I find that since my townhouse is in the middle, it's not as cold. I'm not sure this has anything to do with it but it seems to help. I also dress warmer so that I can keep the cost of my gas bill down but it doesn't matter because there are so many charges that we have no control over.

The $23.50 Direct Energy should be the Water heater rental

check your bill how much gas you used? M3?
and how much $? x M3?
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
[OP]
Nov 17, 2010
13 posts
GTA
I'm looking over my statement again and this is what I found:

Total effective gas supply rate is: 12.2495¢/m3

RATE 1
Current Estimated meter reading January 17/11 - 2885
Less previous meter reading December 14/11 - 2676

Gas used this period (m3) - 209 (This looks like the amount of gas that I used). Based on the graph in the statement, it's high. I'm not sure if it's actually high, or average.
PEF Value - 1.00740 Adjusted m3 - 211

I don't know what this all means? Is anyone able to politely explain it to me please? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
Unless you actually tell them what your meter readings are every month, (Enbridge doesn't read it every month), they take an estimate based on last years usage on the months that they don't take a meter reading. It shows in your previous post that they estimated the usage you were charged for. You can check your meter, albeit days later to give an indication whether there estimate was close. Either way, when they do take an actual reading it will average out. 209 m3 would have been a low reading for my size house based on 4 people and lots of natural gas appliances but I can't comment on your usage since there are too many things to consider. In other words to many variables.
Jan 12, 2011
850 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
fitgirl37 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 8:08 pm

RATE 1

Gas used this period (m3) - 209 (This looks like the amount of gas that I used). Based on the graph in the statement, it's high. I'm not sure if it's actually high, or average.

I don't know what this all means? Is anyone able to politely explain it to me please? Thanks.

Take a look at this link

https://portal-plumprod.cgc.enbridge.co ... hed=true#1its from embridge.

Can I get help reading my bill?
We've posted an interactive sample bill online. Click on the different items to get the information you need. You can also find detailed explanations of any special charges on your bill.
Riz1 Sales Rep. CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
STOP paying high Realtor fees & say NO to the fine print!
Jul 26, 2010
827 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
fitgirl37 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 8:08 pm

RATE 1

We just had gas installed jan 13th. Usage in first 13 days was 10 /day so 300 per month. So your 200 looks ok. We are only using it for heat, not water heating. Union gas waived the deposit if we went on auto debit and equal billling
[OP]
Nov 17, 2010
13 posts
GTA
Thanks for the information.

This may be a dumb question but would it be wise for me to take my meter readings and report them to Enbridge so that they are accurate rather than basing them on estimates from last year, from when the original owners were living in the home? It doesn't seem fair or accurate that they would base the meter readings from when other people lived in the home. Why doesn't Enbridge actually take the meter readings rather than take estimates?

38racing, this may be another dumb question but how is your water heated? I thought this was done through Enbridge as well. It looks like you have Union gas to heat your house so who do you use to heat your water?

When I called the utilities company about the $200 deposit, they never gave me the option of auto debit. The lady told me that they would credit the amount after a year. I don't like it but I guess that's the way it's done.

This is all new to me so I appreciate your kind words. : )
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fitgirl37 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 5:41 pm

Customer Charge - $18.49
Delivery to you - $15.95

Almost half of this cost you are going to have monthly even if you used NO natural gas. That being the customer charge of $18.49 and hot water tank rental of $23.50, plus HST.

fitgirl37 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 9:49 pm
Thanks for the information.

This may be a dumb question but would it be wise for me to take my meter readings and report them to Enbridge so that they are accurate rather than basing them on estimates from last year, from when the original owners were living in the home? It doesn't seem fair or accurate that they would base the meter readings from when other people lived in the home. Why doesn't Enbridge actually take the meter readings rather than take estimates?

38racing, this may be another dumb question but how is your water heated? I thought this was done through Enbridge as well. It looks like you have Union gas to heat your house so who do you use to heat your water?

When I called the utilities company about the $200 deposit, they never gave me the option of auto debit. The lady told me that they would credit the amount after a year. I don't like it but I guess that's the way it's done.

This is all new to me so I appreciate your kind words. : )
Enbridge does actual readings every second month, and estimates the other months in between. You could report your own readings, but their readings will balance out every second month.

Union Gas services certain areas, and Enbridge services other areas, with no overlap, so you can't choose one over the other. I believe Union is actually a little costlier than Enbridge.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3556 posts
488 upvotes
Ottawa
Whitedart wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 10:45 pm
Enbridge does actual readings every second month, and estimates the other months in between.
Only sometimes. I deal with many utility accounts for many properties and repeated estimated meter readings from Enbridge drive me nuts. Sometimes they might read the meter every second month, but lately that has not been the case. I've been living in my home for 7 months and Enbridge hasn't read the meter even once! At least Hydro Ottawa reads all their meters wirelessly now and the City of Ottawa is moving in that direction too for water.

Enbridge only has to read your meter once a year by law. So do yourself a favour and read your own meters so you can track consumption, verify invoices, and keep an eye on performance.
Jul 26, 2010
827 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Union gas in eastern ontario is supposedly going to read my meter every month. I chose electric hot water. Operating cost per unit water will be higher but given our low usage and the capital and maintenance cost I felt electric was a better choice. I installed a timer so that I will not heat water during peak TOU., hopefully only off peak.
Feb 12, 2010
159 posts
10 upvotes
Don't even get me started on Enbridge. We too moved into a new house and learned all about how Enbridge "takes" their readings. Our Dec bill made us fall of our chairs.
No more estimates as they read our last one way off and overcharged us. We check monthly now. Lesson learned.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
The usage estimation isn't the worst part, at least it averages out once the actual reading is taken.

The worst part is their other charges: customer charges, transportation to Enbridge, delivery to you, and of course HST. My total bill is always more than double of the actual gas usage.

Is there anything we can do? Or do we just bend over even if they increase the fees? I can't believe that the government takes no action regarding the monopoly that exists, whether it's natural gas, electricity, internet/telecom...
× < >