• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2012 12:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 8, 2005
93 posts

Enbridge Gas "Customer Charge"

I live in a condo in North York, and my natural gas is supplied by Enbridge.

Every month, my natural gas actual usage is about $5 to $15, or $0 during summer months. Enbridge is charging me a $14 per month customer fee, which covers all kinds of BS & craps.

Just wondering, if I can just cancel my Enbridge account?

I can always use electric to heat up my home, and stop paying like $14 customer fee.
I live in the POO!! the Province Of Ontario!!
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
carpanatomy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2008 8:38 am
I live in a condo in North York, and my natural gas is supplied by Enbridge.

Every month, my natural gas actual usage is about $5 to $15, or $0 during summer months. Enbridge is charging me a $14 per month customer fee, which covers all kinds of BS & craps.

Just wondering, if I can just cancel my Enbridge account?

I can always use electric to heat up my home, and stop paying like $14 customer fee.
You can always cancel your account. However, if you want them back, you probably will need to pay a fee.

What do you use natural gas for your home anyway? Heat only? Use Electricity to heat a home is not cheap.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2005
93 posts
gman wrote:
Nov 21st, 2008 8:46 am
You can always cancel your account. However, if you want them back, you probably will need to pay a fee.

What do you use natural gas for your home anyway? Heat only? Use Electricity to heat a home is not cheap.
I agree, but this is my calculation.

$14 customer fee x 12 months = $168
$168 + $100 (actual gas usage) = $268

The only months I actually need the heater is from November to April, 6 months.

That translate to about $45 per month during these 6 months.
Do you think if I pay $45 for electric, will it produce the same heating power?
I live in the POO!! the Province Of Ontario!!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
carpanatomy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2008 9:19 am
I agree, but this is my calculation.

$14 customer fee x 12 months = $168
$168 + $100 (actual gas usage) = $268

The only months I actually need the heater is from November to April, 6 months.

That translate to about $45 per month during these 6 months.
Do you think if I pay $45 for electric, will it produce the same heating power?
I don't know the size of your home but you only spend $28 ($100 / 12 + $12) for heat in the winter means your home is pretty small or you really don't use much heat.

My mom's condo is about 1000 sqft. It has electric heat only. In the winter, her electric bill is like $200 per month. In summer, $50 or less.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1090 posts
63 upvotes
Grimsby
If I were paying only $268 for a year I would not be rocking any boats, I would be gleefully staying verrry quite. :)
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes
Bump up for this one. I too live in a small one bedroom condo. During the winter, we turn the heat on maybe once or twice, for an hour. Some how, our condo stays warm, without turning the heat on.

The monthly customer charge has gone up, it's now $16.80 total per month or $201.60 per year. $1008.00 over five years. (including tax)

When the HST comes into effect, this will be $18.80/month. $216.96 per year, $1084.80 in five years.

I will be cutting this expense as it's wasting money. Hopefully Enbridge will close the account.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4774 posts
4694 upvotes
Toronto
Jungle wrote:
Feb 15th, 2010 4:31 pm
Bump up for this one. I too live in a small one bedroom condo. During the winter, we turn the heat on maybe once or twice, for an hour. Some how, our condo stays warm, without turning the heat on.

The monthly customer charge has gone up, it's now $16.80 total per month or $201.60 per year. $1008.00 over five years. (including tax)

When the HST comes into effect, this will be $18.80/month. $216.96 per year, $1084.80 in five years.

I will be cutting this expense as it's wasting money. Hopefully Enbridge will close the account.
Same issue here... I cancelled my gas account two years ago and everything's fine... I use a 1500W wallmount electric heater when needed and it's fine. In my case I made the decision after calculating that in 5 years, I had paid over $500 in Customer Charges and under $100 in Gas Charges.

No issue closing the account. If you do it in summer there are no issues but I initially tried to do it in the middle of winter and there was extra paperwork involved.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Apr 21, 2011
19 posts
11 upvotes
The customer charge should be based on usage. I wrote the Energy Board complaining about this after getting a $30 bill in the mail last week (of which $4.33 was for actual natural gas).
Nov 15, 2005
897 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
Isn't there also a bunch of miscellaneous fees with hydro as well not to mention time of use? Dept retention comes to mind. I'm sure most people would love to go off the grid entirely. I know I do.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1112 posts
421 upvotes
the customer charge is meant to recoup the fixed costs of providing service to you. Gas usage shows as a variable charge since you are being charged for your use of the commodity, in this case natural gas. However there are fixed costs to providing service to you as well, these could be things like the fixed costs incurred to install and maintain the gas line to your residence, as well the fixed costs requried to maintain your account (for example, the administrative staff in the office).

This seems fair to me.
Mar 1, 2012
330 posts
27 upvotes
So Enbridge only provides HEAT in the house? How do u guys suffer without it?
Aug 9, 2007
423 posts
24 upvotes
Ontario
You are lucky. Union Gas charges me $21 a month in a fixed charge, no matter how much you use. That is on top of delivery/storage/whatever.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6060 posts
1516 upvotes
Enbridge is the same. Charge for the priviledge of being hooked up to their (surely long paid for) pipe network, plus delivery and other fees. Not much different than bell phone, really. And its $20 for enbridge now. Interesting to see a thread that spans many years, how it has risen so quickly.
Apr 21, 2011
19 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa Hydro charges a more reasonable fixed fee of $8.65 per month http://www.hydroottawa.com/pdfs/rate_br ... tial_e.pdf

Hydro one Brampton is cheaper than most at $11 a month http://www.hydroonebrampton.com/res_rates.html

London at $13 a month http://www.londonhydro.com/residential/ ... cityrates/

Hamilton (Horizon) at $17 a month http://www.horizonutilities.com/HHSC/ht ... es0112.jsp

Toronto Hydro at $18 a month http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... Rates.aspx

Hydro One seems just as unreasonable as the gas company @ $18-$31 a month http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAffai ... Rates.aspx

Mississauga (Enersource) @ 28 a month http://www.enersource.com/my-home/Pages ... -faqs.aspx

It is my opinion that using zero gas or hydro in a month should result in a bill of a couple dollars (certainly not $20 or more), at least in a population dense area. Have to wonder why Ottawa Hydro can be so much cheaper than the others (unless I have the rates wrong). Maybe wires are cheaper in the capital.

To answer your question ryebread:
Question: I am spending the summer at my cottage. Can I put my gas on hold for the summer or do I have to disconnect it now and reconnect it in the fall (what is the fee)?

Answer: If you wish to have the billing stopped for the gas at your home we will need to disconnect the gas which will cost a fee of $79.10. Please contact our Service Department at 1-877-362-7434 to have this arranged. When you wish to have the gas reconnected we will start a new account and there will be a new account charge of $25.00 plus HST charged on the first bill as well as a new account number issued.

If you leave the gas connected well you are gone then your billing will continue and if no gas is consumed you will be charged for your monthly customer charge of $20.00 per month.
Edit: No heat needed for 5 or 6 months = $100 to 120 in savings versus a disconnect and reconnect fee of $104.10.
Nov 21, 2009
134 posts
24 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 4:02 pm
Enbridge is the same. Charge for the priviledge of being hooked up to their (surely long paid for) pipe network, plus delivery and other fees. Not much different than bell phone, really. And its $20 for enbridge now. Interesting to see a thread that spans many years, how it has risen so quickly.

pipeline maintenance is ongoing... employees salaries etc.. emergency response...
× < >