None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1951 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Encorp Pacific rejected my deposit claim on Starbucks frappucino glass bottles

Has anyone (in BC) paid a deposit and non-refundable recycling fee on their Starbucks grocery drink containers? Encorp Pacific is claiming that coffee drinks are not part of the recycling program and that I was mistakenly charged by the retailer on the Starbucks drink containers. So, now I have to hope that I have my grocery receipts to prove I was mistakenly charged in order to sort this mess out that's been going on FOR YEARS. I called the BC Recycling HOtline, and they said they've heard of this problem before.
De gustibus non est disputandum
8 replies
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
18 upvotes
To find out if there is a deposit and non-refundable recycling fee on the bottle of Starbucks frappucino, you can always buy another bottle. Maybe the grocery store has stopped charging the deposit on the Starbucks frappucino?

In any case, if Encorp Pacific will not take the bottles, I would return it to the grocery store where I purchased it from, assuming the grocery store charged a deposit on the bottle.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1951 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I bought the glass Starbucks frappucino bottles. They r not on the list. I remember looking at the high non-refundable (glass) recycling fee on my Real Canadian Superstore receipt. So, even if I return the bottles back to the Superstore and get my deposit back, I would've lost all the recycling fees I paid out that should never have been charged in the first place.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1951 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I found a couple of receipts from May 2013. One is from the Superstore, and the other is from London DRugs. The non-recycling fee was 12 cents per bottle!!!! I emailed the pics to the ReturnIt/Encorp Pacific, so hopefully something will come of this.
Apr 12, 2016
1 posts
Starbucks themselves are charging a deposit on these. If you get charged you have to contact corporate office to resolve encorp call it a milk drink . Thief definition of milk drink is any drink in which milk is one of the first 3 ingredients
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1951 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Sergeant655 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 5:31 pm
Starbucks themselves are charging a deposit on these. If you get charged you have to contact corporate office to resolve encorp call it a milk drink . Thief definition of milk drink is any drink in which milk is one of the first 3 ingredients
Are you located in BC? 'Cuz other provinces have different rules on deposits.

I never got contacted back by Encorp after I emailed them my receipt photos. In fact, it's actually rare to get follow-ups from any corporation these days! Ugh.
Aug 5, 2012
211 posts
35 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Oct 14th, 2015 6:22 pm
I found a couple of receipts from May 2013. One is from the Superstore, and the other is from London DRugs. The non-recycling fee was 12 cents per bottle!!!! I emailed the pics to the ReturnIt/Encorp Pacific, so hopefully something will come of this.
Hopefully, ReturnIt/Encorp Pacific will accept it.

If you buy from Superstore or London Drugs, you should be able to return them at their store. They cannot refuse what you buy from them. If they dispute the bottle is not from them, show them the receipts.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1568 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Becks wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 9:44 pm
Are you located in BC? 'Cuz other provinces have different rules on deposits.

I never got contacted back by Encorp after I emailed them my receipt photos. In fact, it's actually rare to get follow-ups from any corporation these days! Ugh.
I recall this being discussed in the news or on a consumer affairs show fairly recently.

There is not supposed to be a deposit charged, so Encorp won't refund you, and they don't have to. I can't say whether or not this changed (that was the nature of the article I had seen about the bottles) but after entering "starbucks frappucino bottle refund" into Google, this was the first result.

Your contract was with the retailer, and if they were incorrectly charging deposits on these products, they are the ones who have to refund you. Kind of like if you get charged tax on something you aren't supposed to pay tax on, you don't go to the tax man for a refund, you go to the retailer. I suspect that any deposits sent to Encorp (or whoever receives them) would just be bulk and net of any refunds - "1000 x 20c, less 500 x 20c = 500 x 20c owing", that sort of thing, so there's no possible way they would know that a particular portion of the money they receive was for items that shouldn't have a deposit charged on them.

I'm thinking it's too late to pop on up to Superstore and LD with receipts 2+ years old to ask for a refund of the deposit paid but it doesn't hurt to try. Of course if you were to try to return the bottles, they could say "these aren't the bottles you bought from here..."
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.