• Jun 18th, 2017 8:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1761 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto

Encrypting external HDD and Flash Drives

Hey fellow RFDers - if you already have data on your external drives (like those seagate portables and tiny flash drives) can you encrypt those drives after you've already saved data on it or does this end up erasing all the existing data?

Like do you have to encrypt these things before you start using them if you want to secure them?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11846 posts
891 upvotes
Toronto
Which OS will be used to encrypt and decrypt the data?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1761 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 11:04 am
Which OS will be used to encrypt and decrypt the data?
Mac OS. I just looked into it and I've found the answer - it is yes but I believe it is much slower compared to encrypting these drives at the start before use.

My other question now though is, if I want to create a folder that I can also write to each time, how is this done in disk utility?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2976 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
It's considered less secure as well, if I've read correctly, if you encrypt afterwards. If possible, I would move that data elsewhere, format the drives, and then encrypt before moving the data back.

Not sure what you mean by your second question though. You can encrypt the entire drive with FileVault and when you mount those drives, you just enter your passphrase and it's writable until you unmount.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11846 posts
891 upvotes
Toronto
You can create a folder in Finder.

Not sure what you mean by "create a folder that I can also write to each time". You mean you want to change the location of your home folder?