Computers & Electronics

The end of the internet as we know it?...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2012 9:03 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 14, 2012
63 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH BAY

The end of the internet as we know it?...

Just read an article on Engadget about AT&T as an ISP will be sending you e-mails as warnings whenever you visit a website that they view as illegal with copyright infringement etc. On the fifth alert the content owner can pursue legal action against the customer.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/13/atan ... nt-piracy/

What do you guys think? Will Robelus and the other Canadian ISPs follow suit?
14 replies
Feb 18, 2011
108 posts
28 upvotes
The internet used to be about information. Fifteen seconds and a Google\Alta Vista search would yield the answer to any question you could throw at it, providing you knew how to ask it (meta tags were great, and phrase searches actually searched for the phrase you typed).

Now the internet is about commerce. The only information anyone is interested in providing you with is where you can buy something remotely related to what your search terms were. Whole markets selling things that don't exist have sprung up to separate people from their money, like digital teddy bears and junk on FB. ISPs and government bodies will soon be snooping just to see if they can nail you for anything without valid suspicions (thanks, Vic Toews).

The internet as I knew it ended a long time ago. I can't wait to pull the plug at home when this last contract is up next year.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I don't see how this would work... hype
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: I don't see how this would work... hype
Torrent files are tracked. Record Company/Movie Studio says, IP XX.XX.XXX.XX downloaded movie X on the Nth day of November. ISP cooperates with Movie studio, warns downloader X times and then cuts them off.

It's not unheard of for American companies to pursue copyright infringement against Canadian downloaders, but Canadian ISP's generally protect subscriber privacy because they're under no obligation to release it, so they don't cooperate. They just send a warning letter, 'organization Z has contacted us regarding copyright infringement blah blah blah.'

End of the internet? I don't think so. I doubt the United States represents 10% of file sharers worldwide, I don't download much but if I lived there I wouldn't download at all. Penalties are too draconian. For the other 90% of the internet users who have no clue what a torrent file is it nets no change.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
swickedman wrote: Just read an article on Engadget about AT&T as an ISP will be sending you e-mails as warnings whenever you visit a website that they view as illegal with copyright infringement etc. On the fifth alert the content owner can pursue legal action against the customer.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/13/atan ... nt-piracy/

What do you guys think? Will Robelus and the other Canadian ISPs follow suit?
how soon will ISP start telling you what you should or not view on the internet??

"Hey son, that scientific study on evolution is just unAmerican, you are getting a warning for that"
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
mac151 wrote: The internet used to be about information. Fifteen seconds and a Google\Alta Vista search would yield the answer to any question you could throw at it, providing you knew how to ask it (meta tags were great, and phrase searches actually searched for the phrase you typed).

Now the internet is about commerce. The only information anyone is interested in providing you with is where you can buy something remotely related to what your search terms were. Whole markets selling things that don't exist have sprung up to separate people from their money, like digital teddy bears and junk on FB. ISPs and government bodies will soon be snooping just to see if they can nail you for anything without valid suspicions (thanks, Vic Toews).

The internet as I knew it ended a long time ago. I can't wait to pull the plug at home when this last contract is up next year.
Ya right.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Well keep voting in Democrats(who historically support record companies/movie studios) and this is what you'll get.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
mac151 wrote: ...The only information anyone is interested in providing you with is where you can buy something remotely related to what your search terms were...
Absolute nonsense. Separating the signal from the noise can be difficult at times, but the total amount of free, valuable information just waiting for you to find it is greater now than at any point in the internet's brief history.
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
In the US you're better off getting caught stealing an actual copy of software, game, movie, etc than to get caught downloading a copy of the same thing. Pretty crazy if you ask me.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Ya right.
Dear Subscriber,

We are writing to inform you that we have received a notification (copied below), alleging that activities associated with your IP address are infringing copyright in certain materials.

If you have any questions about this notification, please contact the rightsholder directly.

Your personal information is protected under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and Shaw will not provide any information regarding your account to the rightsholder, unless we receive a Canadian court order directing us to do so.

We remind you that under your agreement with Shaw, and our Acceptable Use Policy, you are prohibited from using our service to engage in illegal activities, including activities that infringe copyright. A copy of our Policy is available at www.shaw.ca.

We trust you will comply with our policies and all applicable laws in using our service.

Sincerely,

Shaw Customer Protection Team
<mailto:customer.protection@sjrb.ca>
RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
Inception

Dear Copyright Administrator:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. ("Warner Bros.").

We have received information that an individual has utilized the below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrighted motion picture(s) through a "peer-to-peer" service, including such title(s) as:

Inception

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address (XX.XX.XXX.XXX), we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Contact the subscriber who has engaged in the conduct described above and take steps to prevent the subscriber from further downloading or uploading Warner Bros. content without authorization; and

2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

On behalf of Warner Bros., owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by Warner Bros., its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the State of California and under the laws of the United States, that the information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please direct any end user queries the following.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Attn: Worldwide Anti-Piracy
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
818.954.3091 – phone
infringements@warnerbros.com – email
In the states the ISP's can be forced to cooperate. It's ridiculously easy to track torrents, all you have to do is seed and see who is downloading off you.

Discussed here.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134809

How do you propose those people that do get caught are getting caught?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Canada has already proven it likes to protect copy rights or atleast get money for saying they do by charging us fee's for blank cd's, DVD's and other types of storage. Do you think if they can find a way to profit off of all this they wont try?

Besides if the US decides to push this and prosecute they can extradite people from here. Hiding behind a vpn will just make you look more guilty and easier to get a conviction or force a deal.

Reason why i don't bother doing anything that is considered illegal cross borders (well anything illegal period for those watching). i don't want to be crossing the border and the next thing ending up in a Blain jail or a border detention area and since i am also an American i don't get treated well half the time at the border anyways.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HandsomeRob wrote: Torrent files are tracked. Record Company/Movie Studio says, IP XX.XX.XXX.XX downloaded movie X on the Nth day of November. ISP cooperates with Movie studio, warns downloader X times and then cuts them off.
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... le_sharing

Yup. They're always accurate.
Unless my printers and access points are now actually AI and want to listen to Bieber.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Don't people who torrent illegal crap get snail mail?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... le_sharing

Yup. They're always accurate.
Unless my printers and access points are now actually AI and want to listen to Bieber.
I'm not suggesting its accurate or the right thing to do.

But do you really think its beneath the SOPA/PIPA/DMCA government and the ISP's that:
1) Don't like file sharers for consuming copious amounts of bandwidth.
2) Don't have file sharers representing a significant percentage of their subscribers.
3) Already have file sharers violating their TOS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)