Tags:
[OP]
Jan 21, 2015
87 posts
54 upvotes
Montreal, QC

End of my lease

Hi there,

RAV4 2015 leasing about to end in September - mileage : 30K kilometers (very low in 3 years)
Don't know what to do : return the vehicule or buy and sell my Yaris 2009 (90K kilometers)

We have 2 children and only using one car (RAV4 everyday) since my husband is using his company car.

Dilemna now is to know if we keep the Yaris or the RAV4 paying about 15K dollars.

Any recommendations ?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9268 posts
5724 upvotes
Edmonton
Compare your buyout of the RAV4 to what you can resell it for. Toyota's are often worth buying out, even if you're just going to turn around and resell it. Especially when you have such low km.

With a family, I'd probably keep the RAV and ditch the Yaris, but I suspect the Yaris is reasonably roomy. Good fuel economy... But I like a somewhat bigger vehicle, and hopefully the RAV has AWD.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1186 posts
446 upvotes
I would sell the Yaris and buy out the RAV4, if I could afford it. Effectively, you're choosing between the running cost of two vehicles. Returning the RAV4 and learning to live with the Yaris would be cheaper in the long run, but fitting a family of four into a Yaris would not be as pleasant as fitting into a RAV4. I assume that your husband won't be able to drive his company to take the kids to activities or go grocery shopping.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2289 posts
775 upvotes
Calgary
As CNeufeld said, check how much a 2015 Rav4 with 30k is worth roughly. My guess is quite a bit more than 15k. Do not give it back to Toyota. You would be giving up equity. Buy it out and then either keep it or resell privately.