• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2005 4:00 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 27, 2004
879 posts
240 upvotes

The End of VHS...

Blockbuster Video will NO LONGER be purchasing VHS tapes for Rental or For Sale starting in May 2005!
19 replies
Feb 16, 2003
362 posts
Peterborough, ON
Wow, that's quite the line to draw. I'm not even sure what percent of households have dvd players. Although, I would assume they've done their research.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2202 posts
404 upvotes
Fine with me as long as these places don't drop the VHS titles that haven't made it over to DVD yet. I'd love to find a DVD copy of Student Bodies or Jeckyl and Hyde...Together Again. These were a couple of early 80's cheesy cult films that aren't on DVD and might not ever make it there. If they clear out their stock, soon titles like these won't be rentable.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
That didn't take long. I remember when they hardly had any DVD titles to begin with and that was just a few years ago.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Sep 22, 2004
289 posts
1 upvote
VHS will officially be dead to the masses, when there is a cheap and easy way to record and backup tv shows.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
1597 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal
9mmCensor wrote:VHS will officially be dead to the masses, when there is a cheap and easy way to record and backup tv shows.
well, we're on the way of doing that really soon. I haven't recorded a show since the end of 2004, everything record on media center computer. Wow, its incredible.

Also, they won't get any new vhs, but i am sure they will keep the old vhs titles
" give me back my sock you goat bastard "
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
8 upvotes
Even though DVD player sales are through the roof, over 93% of households have at least 1 VCR.

This is a mstake in my opinion...unless Rogers Video and other big chains follow suit.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
1597 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal
Audiogenic wrote:Even though DVD player sales are through the roof, over 93% of households have at least 1 VCR.

This is a mstake in my opinion...unless Rogers Video and other big chains follow suit.
agreeing somewhat, its like they are forcing people to get a dvd player.
" give me back my sock you goat bastard "
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
it might be the end of vhs for blockbuster.. but vhs is going to be around for a long time yet.

vhs is like cassettes.... not very popular, but still around. and i believe they will be around for quite some time yet.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
This sucks. I guess it's time to finally invest on a DVD player. :cheesygri Yeah yeah, I know... still livjing in stone age, alright?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2004
4332 posts
312 upvotes
Montreal
ive been told studio will stop producing VHS by the end of this year anyway, so they just taking an early bite i guess

R.I.P VHS, youve been a good friend
PM me when there is a Post Canada sale !
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
10 upvotes
NDman wrote:This sucks. I guess it's time to finally invest on a DVD player. :cheesygri Yeah yeah, I know... still livjing in stone age, alright?
With DVD players being cheaper than a VHS and a DVD is easier to store and won't damge with time, and also can be played on most computers now. It makes sence.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
blizzah wrote:With DVD players being cheaper than a VHS and a DVD is easier to store and won't damge with time, and also can be played on most computers now. It makes sence.
I agree with Keelie. VHS won't be completely out much like cassette. It's still easier to tape than using DVD recorder. Not everyone has a HTPC, and I'm one of them. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
spike-spiegel wrote:Perhaps Blockbuster is getting ready to make space for the barrage of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discs that will be coming in soon.
Keep dreaming.... with Sony and Toshiba working on joining the two formats together, it's unlikely we'll see releases when we expected to. Actually, it's not just Toshiba and Sony anymore, they've had other key players join them in continuing the talks to merge the formats.

In the end however, this will be a good thing!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
VHS recorders are getting harder to find....my SVHS stopped working and went to FS and BB to find a replacement, they don't even carry SVHS decks anymore, they only had 3 different models.

People will eventually switch over to hard disk based DVD recorders for time shifting, it's so much better than dealing with tapes.

I use a HTPC, and havent used my VHS decks for a long time....that would explain why it broke, lack of use!