Is Eneos Fully Synthetic oil good ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 8:41 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
520 posts
59 upvotes

Is Eneos Fully Synthetic oil good ?

My mechanic charged me $70 cash for Eneos fully synthetic and and some filter that said g77.

It is a 2003 4cyl Toyota Camry.

Is this a good oil and ok price ?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12643 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
Mobil 1 fully synthetic (factory filled for German performance cars) can be had for $30-35 when on sale. You definitely overpaid for your oil. Buy your own oil and filter next time and just pay the shop for labor.

Synthetic oil for your Camry should run you about $25-30 and $10 for the filter. The shop charges like $20 for an oil change.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9204 posts
3169 upvotes
Brampton
trixstar wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:21 pm
Mobil 1 fully synthetic (factory filled for German performance cars) can be had for $30-35 when on sale. You definitely overpaid for your oil. Buy your own oil and filter next time and just pay the shop for labor.

Synthetic oil for your Camry should run you about $25-30 and $10 for the filter. The shop charges like $20 for an oil change.
SMH.
Mobil 1 has a nice sham going (It's not a real sham). Not all Mobil 1 is the same. Not all should cost $25-30 if you're getting your oil retail (even on sale) you're doing it wrong anyway. Mobil 1's common oils like 0W20, 5W20/30 10W30 are just very refined Group 3 (not going get all BITOG here) then Mobil has even higher quality oils typically to meet German Spec engines or Diesels or German Diesels (think German Castrol). So if your paying $25-30 for Mobil 1 in those grades it's overpriced. Having Mobil1 stamped on it doesn't automatically make it a better oil. For those cars it's more important the oil meets the spec in many cases Castrol GTX meets the spec but base grade Mobil1 doesn't you need to move to EP Mobil1.
Eneos is an excellent oil. I just happen to know it's very cheap in bulk. Bet you didn't know you could get 0W20 Mobil 1for $3-4 a L in bulk regular priced to a retail customer(even less for cost). Just walk up to your Toyota Parts counter and order a couple cases of Toyota 0W20.

From what you're suggesting that the OP do all that there's no saving in it there's also no reward for the effort. You're bringing like $40 in parts (retail) and still need to pay ~$20 of labour (Ideally 0.5 hours $30-40). So the OP goes from $70 to $60.

Going by the Costco standard, A synthetic oil change at an indy shop should be around $50 on the avg car (don't get much more average than a 93 Camry) so with tax and so on $60. OP overpaid by about $10. Again Eneos is a great oil.
mebiuspower wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 8:32 am
Stick with Amsoil.
Ridiculous. Who would use Amsoil on a 93 Camry?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12643 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:44 am
SMH.
Mobil 1 has a nice sham going (It's not a real sham). Not all Mobil 1 is the same. Not all should cost $25-30 if you're getting your oil retail (even on sale) you're doing it wrong anyway. Mobil 1's common oils like 0W20, 5W20/30 10W30 are just very refined Group 3 (not going get all BITOG here) then Mobil has even higher quality oils typically to meet German Spec engines or Diesels or German Diesels (think German Castrol). So if your paying $25-30 for Mobil 1 in those grades it's overpriced. Having Mobil1 stamped on it doesn't automatically make it a better oil. For those cars it's more important the oil meets the spec in many cases Castrol GTX meets the spec but base grade Mobil1 doesn't you need to move to EP Mobil1.
Eneos is an excellent oil. I just happen to know it's very cheap in bulk. Bet you didn't know you could get 0W20 Mobil 1for $3-4 a L in bulk regular priced to a retail customer(even less for cost). Just walk up to your Toyota Parts counter and order a couple cases of Toyota 0W20.

From what you're suggesting that the OP do all that there's no saving in it there's also no reward for the effort. You're bringing like $40 in parts (retail) and still need to pay ~$20 of labour (Ideally 0.5 hours $30-40). So the OP goes from $70 to $60.

Going by the Costco standard, A synthetic oil change at an indy shop should be around $50 on the avg car (don't get much more average than a 93 Camry) so with tax and so on $60. OP overpaid by about $10. Again Eneos is a great oil.

Who would use Amsoil on a 93 Camry?
I purchase my Mobil 1 synthetic 0w-40 from Canadian tire when it’s on sale for like $30. Meets MB 229.5 specs. It’s actually the factory fill oil for their cars including AMG. Makes no sense for me to buy more expensive synthetics. Didn’t realize other grades are more inferior.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22574 posts
9159 upvotes
Ottawa
The best oil brands, are the ones that goes on sales.
For us regular drivers (not race car drivers), there is no need to be stuck on any particular brand!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7536 posts
4109 upvotes
Markham
It's a 2003 Camry. I mean... It's a Camry that's old. Who cares what you put in there, as long as its 5W30 and it says "Synthetic" somewhere on the bottle. But yeah $70 is steep for this.
Sep 24, 2018
1 posts
My car mechanic charged $80 and he used Eneos fully synthetic oil 5W-20 in my Dodge Joueney. As per him this is a better oil then Castrol and Pennzoil. Earlier i used to buy Pennzoil from Walmart (for around $27 when on sale) but this time it was not available. Pls suggest. Thanks
Dec 17, 2015
206 posts
51 upvotes
York, ON
THS wrote: My mechanic charged me $70 cash for Eneos fully synthetic and and some filter that said g77.

It is a 2003 4cyl Toyota Camry.

Is this a good oil and ok price ?
For a 2003 Camry 4 banger, I believe oil required is 5w30.
Enos is an option. Or buy motomaster, quakerstate, valvoline, Castro’s, mobil1 full synthetic.
It doesn’t require to stay in the engine for 10k.
Basically most of the full synthetics can be used.

The question OP should ask is whether synthetic oil should be used? As when was the car switched from Dino oil to synthetic oil. As switching late life of car can translate to loosing the gunk that’s sealing the engine from leaking.
Oct 3, 2017
35 posts
9 upvotes
I have a good friend who is a bit out of town and is a class A mechanic at a garage and does work on the side at his place out of town. He charges me $20 labour and it comes to around $70 using a top filter. I buy and bring my own parts.

I can get it done at Costco for $50 plus tax but I prefer he does the work. A lot of horror stories even with something basic as an oil change. Like needing a new oil pan after a dummy installer strips the drain hole threads by cross threading. Of course they deny it was them. Overfilling is another common thing. So $70 is what I pay buying my own stuff. I do have over a litre left from the 5L jug per change. Good if you burn otherwise of no use except after 4 or 5 changes if you can keep track of the leftovers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)