Hot Deals

[Energy Efficient Alberta] ALBERTA ONLY - Alberta Energy Saving Efficiency Program - Residential No Charge Energy Savings Program MUST REGISTER

[OP]
May 28, 2010
33 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary

ALBERTA ONLY - Alberta Energy Saving Efficiency Program - Residential No Charge Energy Savings Program MUST REGISTER

Deal Link:
Price:
Free
Retailer:
Energy Efficient Alberta
For Alberta residents only. The Alberta government just released details for the Alberta Energy Savings Efficiency Program (below is directly copied from the website)

The Residential No-Charge Energy Savings Program offers direct, no-charge installation of energy efficient products (qualifying products are also free) in Albertans’ houses, apartments and condos. Whether you own or rent your home, an Energy Efficiency Alberta installer will visit your home and conduct a walkthrough to identify potential opportunities for energy-efficient upgrades at no charge. Most homes can be upgraded in about an hour.

How does it work?
Getting your no-charge, energy-efficient products is easy:

1. Fill out the form to register.
2. You’ll receive a call to schedule your installation, and a second call from the installer the day prior to their visit.
3. An installer will visit your home, and conduct a walkthrough to identify potential opportunities for energy-efficient upgrades at no charge.
4. The installer will upgrade your home to energy-efficient products, and show you how to use them. Most installations don’t take longer than an hour.
5. You’ll save money and conserve energy—immediately. And the products are yours to keep at no charge! Qualifying Products Below

UPDATE: Additional FAQ available on the website here: https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/reside ... harge/faq/

What kinds of products are included?
- LED lightbulbs
- LED nightlights
- Faucet aerators
- Low-flow showerheads
- Advanced power strips for audio-visual equipment
- Smart thermostats

Program Details (https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/reside ... e/details/)
All Alberta households are eligible to participate regardless of income or housing type. Installation will be conducted by qualified installers who schedule home visits. Installers will remove old products and replace them with more energy-efficient products, such as:

- Replacing existing incandescent nightlights, lightbulbs and exit signs with LED products
- Replacing inefficient shower heads with high-efficiency shower heads
- Installing faucet aerators if no aerator is present
- Replacing a traditional power bar with an advanced power bar
- Replacing a non-programmable thermostat with a smart (self-adjusting) thermostat

When will the program launch?
Installations will begin in early April 2017, but you can sign up now to be among the first people in your area to get energy-efficient products at no charge.

Other Energy Efficient Programs
RESIDENTIAL RETAIL PRODUCTS PROGRAM (https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/residential-retail/)
The Residential Retail Products Program offers incentives when you purchase energy-efficient appliances and other energy-saving products through participating retailers and contractors. This program will launch in spring of 2017. See the website for more details, including what types products are included.

RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL SOLAR PROGRAM (https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/solar/)
The Residential and Commercial Solar Program offers rebates to homeowners, businesses and non-profits that install solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. The rebate is expected to be up to 30% of your costs for your home or business for an installation of a solar photovoltaic system.

BUSINESS, NON-PROFIT, AND INSTITUTIONAL ENERGY SAVINGS PROGRAM (https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/busine ... itutional/)
The Business, Non-Profit and Institutional Energy Savings Program offers incentives to encourage organizations to choose high-efficiency products. Once your organization has installed an approved high-efficiency heating or lighting product you can apply for the rebate. Once approved, you’ll receive a cheque that will help cover the cost of the equipment. The program will launch in spring of 2017. Products eligible in the first year includes:
- Efficient lighting products: LED T8s, LED bulbs, LED low/medium/high-bay fixtures, LED exterior fixtures, T5HO high-bay fixtures, occupancy controls, etc.
- Efficient Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) equipment: Commercial warm air furnaces, hot water commercial packaged boilers
- Efficient water heating equipment: Condensing water heaters, tankless water heaters
All business, non-profit and institutional customers serviced by an Alberta electric or gas utility are eligible, except for large final emitters—as defined under Alberta’s Specified Gas Emitters Regulation. See website for more details.

Why it is free
It is free to Albertans who register for the program. It is not free in the sense that this program is funded from the revenues earned from the carbon tax (which we pay through other means). The program is expected to cost $21.5 million.

Contacts for addition questions
Email: hello@efficiencyalberta.ca
Toll Free: 1-844-357-5604
Last edited by ewokfan on Mar 1st, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
145 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2051 posts
814 upvotes
Calgary
just signed up - no harm no foul even if I dont get it. thanks op
Apr 12, 2015
412 posts
93 upvotes
Alberta
in4 1 cuz it's free n I live in alberta

thanks op

what is this for anyways?
[OP]
May 28, 2010
33 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary
2big2fail wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:26 pm
in4 1 cuz it's free n I live in alberta

thanks op

what is this for anyways?
A residential program from the Alberta government trying to promote energy efficiency by giving free upgrades (if they are indeed upgrades) and it's being funded from the new carbon tax. Probably won't have much impact in reducing energy usage in the big scheme but at least it's a freebie. Economic Minister said the program will create 70 jobs and cost $21.5 million.
May 22, 2007
89 posts
14 upvotes
I'm in. I'm paying this stupid fee anyways.
May 24, 2008
196 posts
30 upvotes
Sherwood Park
am in as well, thanks op
BlackBerry Passport SE. Used to have Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36gb
Dec 22, 2005
910 posts
105 upvotes
dlllw wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:49 pm
I'm in. I'm paying this stupid fee anyways.
Yup!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
2649 posts
759 upvotes
Calgary
Battscrew wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:11 pm
Yup!
We are paying for some half wits to come screw light bulbs in our sockets.
Dec 22, 2005
910 posts
105 upvotes
bkushner wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:22 pm
We are paying for some half wits to come screw light bulbs in our sockets.
Dim......wits.... Crying Face
Mar 21, 2010
806 posts
186 upvotes
Edmonton
What a joke/disappointment. I hope they have some rebate incentive programs that will actually make a difference, like a $1000 rebate to upgrade from my 65% efficient furnace to a 95% efficient one. This will cut people's electricity bill/usage by a few bucks a month and save a few litres of water. Meanwhile, we're paying a ton of extra direct and indirect taxes due to the carbon levy.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2051 posts
814 upvotes
Calgary
whatever we think of the carbon tax or the ndp government, what does that have to do with this post! why are people down voting op when all he posted was a freebie that's potentially available to albertans?? geez! I have to say this downvoting system is suckin the hard one on this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4284 posts
1009 upvotes
Canada
Am I reading this right? I can sign up and someone will come to my home and replace all bulbs, faucets, thermostat for free? This seems too good to be true
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6082 posts
7108 upvotes
I will be happy if they replace my mid-efficient furnace to high efficient furnace.
My house is already using LED bulbs and LED tubes.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly payment.
3x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Koodo $25 plan
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, $0 FPL home phone
Dec 27, 2007
819 posts
104 upvotes
Edmonton
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:53 pm
Am I reading this right? I can sign up and someone will come to my home and replace all bulbs, faucets, thermostat for free? This seems too good to be true

It is. I'm sure tons of people will take advantage once they start doing it, buy cheap bulbs, have them come install the LEDs, remove said LEDs, re-install the cheap bulbs and re-sell on Kijiji or etc for profit. Same goes for the Thermostats and whatever other stuff they install but to those thinking they're gonna install new Fridges and Furnaces LOL, they'll give you a incentive for it but they ain't doing it for free. Just bulbs, thermostats, faucet aerators, power strip bars, showerheads.

I'm excited for the thermostat portion, hopefully its a new Nest.
Last edited by dj_rice on Mar 1st, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 19, 2011
283 posts
59 upvotes
Waterloo
Most of this is good not sure if shower head should get changed, I do like my pressure.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel