Automotive

Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2010 11:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes

Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

Trespass to Property Act 21) a) ii)

$75

So I just got this ticket on a private property, specifically at a campus parking lot. Posted speed limit is 25km/h. The officer claimed I was speeding "way over" the limit. Honestly I wasn't aware of the speed that I was at, as I was just trying to get to class. I do admit that I was crossing the parking spaces/lines at the far end of the lot which was totally empty. He was coming straight to me, diagonally at 45 degrees, and U-turned right at my rear. As a campus police he didn't have a radar gun, nor was he tailing me for awhile to tell I was speeding. Basically he said my tires squeaked when he stopped me.

Now he also said the good news is that this ticket won't affect my license nor insurance, since it's not dealing with HTA. Is this true? I mean it is a moving violation (if guilty) and in the insurance company's eye a ticket is a ticket. Should I ask for a court date and disclosure to see how he'll proof that I was speeding?

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 23, 2005
5861 posts
100 upvotes
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

Trespass to Property Act 21) a) ii)

$75

So I just got this ticket on a private property, specifically at a campus parking lot. Posted speed limit is 25km/h. The officer claimed I was speeding "way over" the limit. Honestly I wasn't aware of the speed that I was at, as I was just trying to get to class. I do admit that I was crossing the parking spaces/lines at the far end of the lot which was totally empty. He was coming straight to me, diagonally at 45 degrees, and U-turned right at my rear. As a campus police he didn't have a radar gun, nor was he tailing me for awhile to tell I was speeding. Basically he said my tires squeaked when he stopped me.

Now he also said the good news is that this ticket won't affect my license nor insurance, since it's not dealing with HTA. Is this true? I mean it is a moving violation (if guilty) and in the insurance company's eye a ticket is a ticket. Should I ask for a court date and disclosure to see how he'll proof that I was speeding?

Thanks
umm.. does it say city of toronto? if it's just the university ticket, i highly doubt it'll affect ur insurance, but it's still good to call ur broker to confirm.

stop street racing :D jk
--
Image
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
It's not dealing with the HTA but it's bullcrap anyway. I would fight it. However there's an easier way to get out of it. Go in and plead guilty and get the fine reduced to like $10-20 (sometimes you can even get it reduced to $0). You still get "convicted" but if you get it reduced to $0 then there's really no penalty at all, lol.

Guy is just a rent-a-cop who's got an ego :rolleyes: Thing is you might encounter him again later and he'll harass you some more, lol. I had the same problem with some of the campus security guys when I went to uni, however it was parking tickets they would get me with LOL. It was always like a game, but there were times I had to park somewhere (to avoid being late for class) and I *knew* I was going to get a ticket and I knew exactly the guy that was going to give me the ticket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
It is a typical city of Toronto ticket, but again, no HTA involved. It would be great to have the fine reduced. But what's more concerning is whether it'll affect insurance.
Sr. Member
Sep 2, 2003
500 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
was he peel cop or campus cop is the question your not answering,. was there radar, if you go to school there how is it trespassing, never tell a cop you dont know what speed you were going,. think for yourself, sounds like its a easy ticket to fight..
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

Trespass to Property Act 21) a) ii)

$75

So I just got this ticket on a private property, specifically at a campus parking lot. Posted speed limit is 25km/h. The officer claimed I was speeding "way over" the limit. Honestly I wasn't aware of the speed that I was at, as I was just trying to get to class. I do admit that I was crossing the parking spaces/lines at the far end of the lot which was totally empty. He was coming straight to me, diagonally at 45 degrees, and U-turned right at my rear. As a campus police he didn't have a radar gun, nor was he tailing me for awhile to tell I was speeding. Basically he said my tires squeaked when he stopped me.
Okay.
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
Now he also said the good news is that this ticket won't affect my license nor insurance, since it's not dealing with HTA. Is this true?
This is true. You were charged under the Trespass To Property Act which is a separate set of provincial statutes than the Highway Traffic Act.
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
I mean it is a moving violation (if guilty) and in the insurance company's eye a ticket is a ticket.
No it isn't a moving violation. It is a property offence. In a nutshell, you were charged because he believes you were engaged in a prohibited activity that can basically be just about anything within reason. You said you were not certain how fast you were going even though there is a posted speed limit and that's all he needs to lay the charge. In any case, it won't affect your car insurance any more than a parking ticket will.
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
Should I ask for a court date and disclosure to see how he'll proof that I was speeding? Thanks
Fill your boots son.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
sonspot wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:40 pm
was he peel cop or campus cop is the question your not answering,. was there radar, if you go to school there how is it trespassing, never tell a cop you dont know what speed you were going,. think for yourself, sounds like its a easy ticket to fight..
Real cops don't have time for this foolishness, had to be a rent-a-cop. It's trespassing because he wasn't permitted to do the thing he was doing on that property. There is more to trespassing than just being there legitimately. Like you can have permission to be at the campus because you go to school there but that doesn't mean you have permission to do shens there.

Also I disagree. Never tell a cop you knew what speed you were going. That's an admission of guilt and you'll be screwed in court if you decide to fight it. Say nothing at all about what speed you were going, if you plan to go to court to fight the ticket.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3418 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga
gamer123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 3:14 pm
Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premise

Trespass to Property Act 21) a) ii)

$75

So I just got this ticket on a private property, specifically at a campus parking lot. Posted speed limit is 25km/h. The officer claimed I was speeding "way over" the limit. Honestly I wasn't aware of the speed that I was at, as I was just trying to get to class. I do admit that I was crossing the parking spaces/lines at the far end of the lot which was totally empty. He was coming straight to me, diagonally at 45 degrees, and U-turned right at my rear. As a campus police he didn't have a radar gun, nor was he tailing me for awhile to tell I was speeding. Basically he said my tires squeaked when he stopped me.
...
Maybe that was sufficient for prohibited activity. He doesn't have to say you were speeding, he could say you were driving across the parking spaces/lines. Regardless of whether the lot was empty or not.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
10986 posts
1342 upvotes
Campus police are usually "special constables", so they are actual peace/ police officiers vs. someone who is a security guard/ "rent-a-cop"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 4:27 pm
Campus police are usually "special constables", so they are actual peace/ police officiers vs. someone who is a security guard/ "rent-a-cop"
I guess it depends on the school (the schools I went to def. had security guards). Though I imagine in either case they are equally "special" :lol:
× < >

Top