• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2017 5:42 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
631 posts
113 upvotes

Engagement Ring

Not sure where to post this so please move if it's the wrong place.

How did you decide what to buy for your fiancee/wife? I know all about how diamonds are a sham that's all marketing, but that's just how the world works so I'm looking to buy a decent looking one to propose.
Based on reading, I think I'm going for I VS2 with very good cut. Not sure about round or princess shape. Carat I guess is somewhere around 1. Budget is roughly $5000 CAD.
I've got a huge list here, but how do I know what's better or worse?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... hape=round

If you're a female, what would you prefer? Number of carats, clarity, colour, cut? What matters the most?

Thanks
24 replies
Mar 24, 2015
571 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
All I cared about when I chose my engagement ring was the design and how it looked on my finger (my fingers are small so big cut with thick ring would look odd). Some rings look better with round cut, others with princess cut, etc. I always liked round but when I tried different cuts/design I finally decided on a pear shape VS1 diamond with matching wedding ring. My sister-in-law wanted a Tiffany FL diamond ring. So it really depends on your girlfriend.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2191 posts
1172 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:07 pm
Not sure where to post this so please move if it's the wrong place.

How did you decide what to buy for your fiancee/wife? I know all about how diamonds are a sham that's all marketing, but that's just how the world works so I'm looking to buy a decent looking one to propose.
Based on reading, I think I'm going for I VS2 with very good cut. Not sure about round or princess shape. Carat I guess is somewhere around 1. Budget is roughly $5000 CAD.
I've got a huge list here, but how do I know what's better or worse?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... hape=round

If you're a female, what would you prefer? Number of carats, clarity, colour, cut? What matters the most?

Thanks
The only thing a woman should care about when it comes to engagement is YOU. Honestly, C's mean nothing unless your girl is a gold digger - in which case, RUN!

I did a ton of research before I bought my engagement ring... bounced around James Allen and Blue Nile, but ultimately ended up ordering from Costco.ca.

As strange as it sounds, Costco.ca had the best price-to-quality by far. I got a 0.5ct round brilliant (VS2, I-Color) + 0.5ct of smaller diamonds, AND the wedding band, both in platinum for under $3000. Not to mention the bulletproof Costco return policy... Really, you won't find a better price on platinum bands anywhere.

Here's a few examples... you really can't go wrong ordering one of these sets to see them in person... easy returns:

https://www.costco.ca/Round-Brilliant-D ... 02387.html
https://www.costco.ca/Round-Brilliant-D ... 25250.html
May 1, 2011
367 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a 1.2 carot diamond from whiteflash for 10k, hearts and arrow pattern. Had a custom platinum halo band made at a jewlery shop downtown toronto for another 4k.

Had it appraised at 25k. The canadian dollar is great right now, id recomend buying the diamond and even the setting online from the US. Def go with a platinum setting as its heavier and gives a more luxurious feel.
Mar 10, 2010
864 posts
91 upvotes
I know what mattered most to my wife was us saving our money for things that mattered, unlike a hunk of charcoal which loses half of it's value the minute you buy it and which slowly decomposes over time (diamonds are not forever...). It sounds like you have a reasonable-ish budget, just don't get sucked into the marketing that you need to waste a couple months salary etc. on a piece of jewellery.
Jan 9, 2011
987 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
Am guy. But, I got her a ruby because I didn't care for the diamond industry, She wanted some diamonds for some sparkle sparkle, so there are some small ones next to the rubies in a nice design (yellow gold)

I personally like the coloured precious stones because a pure diamond on white gold can look like CZ on sterling silver from anything further than a few feet. People compliment on the ring all the time.

So, I would consider Sapphires, rubies and emeralds. They're a bit cheaper carat for carat than a diamond, and you can get a pretty quality one with your budget. (Like diamonds, rubies have an ideal colour, not sure about sapphires & emeralds, but if this is a route you took, do some research, most stories I've seen have shitty rubies)

also: don't worry about getting special insurance on it. The appraisal is always always always over inflated (like, no one would ever buy it from you for appraisal value), and if you lost the ring, the insurance company would just replace the ring at their cost. You pay insurance premiums on the appraisal, insurance company uses less money to replace (you could fight them to get paid out, but it's slim to none). I don't remember the calculation, but in a few decades, you pay for the ring again in insurance premiums.
Last edited by Sypsy on Aug 1st, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3570 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
Am female - the setting/shape/clarity means nothing to me to be honest. Its a rock mounted on some metal. That said, I just don't wear that much jewellery. I like the ring he bought me but diamonds aren't exactly my thing. For me, it was about the sentimentality, the proposal, the gesture but the actual ring didn't really matter. He could have proposed with a Ring Pop and I would have said yes.
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think you'll go far with your budget, tbh. At least not for 1 carat. My ring is a round solitaire on white gold with vvs2 clarity, very good cut and color D (colourless). Appraised for a lot more than now-DH paid for. I still get lots of compliments years later.

Check out bluenile. DH said they have excellent customer service and they helped him pick a better diamond for his budget. That's where I picked the ring I wanted but got a better one. :)

I say solitaire is very classy and will never go out of style. The shape is really your lady's preference. I like a classic look with plain slim band since the highlight is really the diamond.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7667 posts
842 upvotes
Markham
5000CAD for 1 carat is pushing unless you get one that's not in a good cut and not good in colour.

Check Bluenile, you will see how much you can get at what grade.
A lot of retailers advertise 1 carat for 2999 or so, but the real question is what stone are they really giving you, For sure it won't be something sparky but just the size.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9417 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Go online with the more reputable ones. Costco got a good plug. I recommend Bluenile, but others I know used James Allen and was happy with it. On the actual ring, you won't be able to tell any imperfections. Just try to get the measurements from that geology report which most online places provide and make sure it meets the balanced cut dimension for that cut. To make sure it is in the optimal range, get the in-between measurement of the ranges (I think ideal or excellent). Cut has the most impact on the brilliance.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2002 posts
742 upvotes
Toronto
Got my fiancee her engagement ring from Blue Nile last year. Used ebates and got back $200+ too lol. I liked Blue NIle because it was convenient and trust worthy. I also debated between a diamond and moissainite for a while but my fiancee doesn't really ask for much and wanted a diamond.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2522 posts
1122 upvotes
Calgaryish
Once upon a time, I worked for several diamond mining companies. Here's a photo of the Diavik mine at Lac des Gras in the NWT. There are two similar operations (Ekati and Snap Lake) in the same area. It's remote and ecologically fragile (there are eight species of fish in the lake).

Please buy a man-made lab grown diamond instead. It's the same face-centred cubic crystal lattice, just manufactured instead of mined.

[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
631 posts
113 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:00 pm
I don't think you'll go far with your budget, tbh. At least not for 1 carat. My ring is a round solitaire on white gold with vvs2 clarity, very good cut and color D (colourless). Appraised for a lot more than now-DH paid for. I still get lots of compliments years later.

Check out bluenile. DH said they have excellent customer service and they helped him pick a better diamond for his budget. That's where I picked the ring I wanted but got a better one. :)

I say solitaire is very classy and will never go out of style. The shape is really your lady's preference. I like a classic look with plain slim band since the highlight is really the diamond.
Does the engagement ring get transformed into a wedding band for future use? Or do people also buy the wedding bands in addition to the engagement ring? Do they come in sets to match? What about the guy's ring?
Jul 20, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
The wedding band is separate and some women wear them together after marriage, they usually match the engagement ring. If you buy from JamesAllen, they will give you the option of adding a matching band. Probably the same with any other seller. Before you order a ring for thousands from online... be sure to know your partner's ring size. Shipping it back or going to a local jeweler for resizing can be a bit nerve wracking.

At least for JamesAllen, you need to also factor in exchange rate and shipping customs into your budget.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1239 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
Male here.

Best advice is get what you can afford. Last thing you want is to be in debt before going into more debt with the wedding.

Everyone wants the biggest and shiniest rock but you have to sacrifice one of the C's. Luckily my now wife has slender fingers so 3/4 carat looks not bad. I aimed for something with the best cut as that would give the best shine factor.

If she's not expecting the proposal try to find out the shape she likes and go from there. My wife likes simple and classic looks so a round diamond on a plain band was good for her. She hates the princess cut and pear even more.

The wedding band is different from the engagement ring and will be purchased separately. Some places will have matching sets you can buy. Some sets will include the man's ring. I got all of ours separately because we didn't like the look of the sets.

Like others have said go with trustworthy sites only. I personally bought from Brian Gavin.

GL OP.