• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2017 5:42 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1957 posts
1047 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:11 pm
Does the engagement ring get transformed into a wedding band for future use? Or do people also buy the wedding bands in addition to the engagement ring? Do they come in sets to match? What about the guy's ring?
No, women wear the wedding band and engagement ring on the same finger after marriage.

You can either buy only the engagement ring, and shop together for wedding bands when planning for the wedding, or you can buy a matching set, and shop for the man's wedding band later on.

Some girls like to choose their own wedding band, others would prefer that it matches the engagement ring.
Mar 10, 2010
850 posts
89 upvotes
That's a good point. And as an added point a lab diamond is generally more perfect than natural and since it's "less desirable" can come at a discount. Of course since there is no way other than neutron diffraction to tell the difference between a lab and a natural diamond you'll never actually know what they sell you...
Jun 18, 2011
114 posts
44 upvotes
TORONTO
Bought ring back in 2011 when our dollar was much higher and diamond prices were a lot less. I looked at James Allen, Whiteflash and Brian Gavin. Didn't' like the setting styles on James Allen and Brian Gavin was over budget. Went with Whiteflash. It did take a month or two until I found the "best value" diamond. Cut was most important, went with round shape, their hearts & arrows line, color J and SI1 clarity but prongable in other words when in the setting is perfectly "eye clean". Carat was the least important but I'm lucky, she has tiny hands. I wouldn't go anything below .7 though. A good cut will make a diamond look bigger.

For setting went with fishtail pave. It really depends on what work and activities your fiancée does. If she is very active, go with a simpler setting. Solitaire is classic and the most affordable. If your fiancée likes big diamonds but you can't afford it, go with a halo setting. If you are unsure what she likes, stick with solitaire and plan to upgrade later.

Fact: online purchases are not charged a sales tax if the items are shipped to a state where the online merchant does not have a physical presence. Fact: There is tax when shipping to Canada. Fact: it is illegal to not declare purchases in the US when crossing the US-Canada border. Fact: rings are small.
Sep 28, 2014
8 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Congrats first of all, maybe confirm first if she wants a diamond. If she is not into diamonds then that opens up other options like moissanite which are more affordable. If it has to be a diamond shop around and have the jeweler show you the various cuts and grades of diamonds. If you have a good jeweler you can sometimes get a diamond that has inclusions that they can hide with the prong settings. etc making it look like a higher grade diamond at a lower price. I'm a guy and in all honesty I could not tell the difference between the diamonds, unless you are looking under a jeweler's loupe they all looked sparkly to me. In my opinion the first thing people notice on a ring is either the size of the rock or the sparkle (mostly down to the cut) so you have to try to determine what is more important to your girl and go from there.
Sep 3, 2013
632 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
stryder1587 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:11 pm
Does the engagement ring get transformed into a wedding band for future use? Or do people also buy the wedding bands in addition to the engagement ring? Do they come in sets to match? What about the guy's ring?
They're definitely separate. We picked our bands separately, and together cost about 1/15th (yes that's right) of the engagement ring. Mind you, both of us weren't picky with our bands. Both were white gold.
May 14, 2008
206 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
I would say it depends on the woman. I personally went for something a bit more expensive at jubilee jewellers in Ottawa. I thought it would be more romantic and a bit more unique, and I knew she would appreciate it more.

Honestly use your judgement. No matter what, there are always going to be more expensive nicer rings, so find one that she would appreciate, but not be disappointed.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3564 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Diamond.... the almost useless stone that was made to be super expensive by possibly the most successful marketing campaign in history.

Anyway, I bought a small-ish one, <0.5 cart from BlueNile. Wife was happy enough, although later on kinda infer/whine how who and who has bigger or more diamonds, I just straight up said it's a total waste of money. It serves no purpose what-so-ever.
Forget the diamond ring, we don't even wear any of the other wedding rings. What's the point of getting and trading-in for a bigger diamond just to keep it in a box inside the closest.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7477 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
You put her in place eh..
boyohboy wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 11:42 am
Diamond.... the almost useless stone that was made to be super expensive by possibly the most successful marketing campaign in history.

Anyway, I bought a small-ish one, <0.5 cart from BlueNile. Wife was happy enough, although later on kinda infer/whine how who and who has bigger or more diamonds, I just straight up said it's a total waste of money. It serves no purpose what-so-ever.
Forget the diamond ring, we don't even wear any of the other wedding rings. What's the point of getting and trading-in for a bigger diamond just to keep it in a box inside the closest.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 23, 2016
282 posts
101 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:12 am
Once upon a time, I worked for several diamond mining companies. Here's a photo of the Diavik mine at Lac des Gras in the NWT. There are two similar operations (Ekati and Snap Lake) in the same area. It's remote and ecologically fragile (there are eight species of fish in the lake).

Please buy a man-made lab grown diamond instead. It's the same face-centred cubic crystal lattice, just manufactured instead of mined.

That is SO sad. Heartbreaking.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7036 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
I was quite the expert when I bought my lady hers. The only advice is I'm wondering why ppl would buy a diamond sight-unseen, which is pretty much what one is doing if buying online. Mine has laser-engraving and a reputable certificate so I know it's that specific diamond.

Just some remarks:
-diamonds are pretty much 'worthless' but if we all wish to play this 'game', one should get at least 1 carat
-don't get perfectly rounded #s, like 1.20carat, 1.10, etc, because you know they didn't cut the diamond perfectly in order to have that nice-looking #, so something like 1.27 is better
-round cut shows the best brilliance
-should buy the rock *separate* from the ring so flaws can't be sneakily hidden
-I prefer platinum band, if the diamond quality is not that good, gold hides this fact
-imo buy only from reputable name brands in brick & mortar store