I thought I would contribute a little to this topic. I made a decision after reading up here and on PriceScope.

I decided on getting an Asscher stone and thankfully I learned a lot about Asscher stones what the right specs should, at least for my budget.

I ended up purchasing my diamond from USACerted Diamonds (Martin Sheffield) and I believe I got a great price for a great stone. Martin was very helpful and absolutely trustworthy. I was so nervous about purchasing a stone over the internet sight unseen but it was all for naught. The stone was legit and Martin walked me through all of it at his office. I then had the stone & GIA certificate verified by GEMSCAN in Toronto. I now recommend Martin to all my friends and family. Even my brother who has a "wholesaler friend" couldn't get a better price than me (in fact, I think he might call Martin for an upgrade for his wife's stone).

The ring setting was custom made by P & H Design in Toronto where I dealt with Howard Hofland. He was of great assistance as picking out the setting was much more difficult than picking out a stone. In the end, I ended up with a Tacori design that P & H made in Platinum and it all worked out beautifully.

The specs are as follows:

Center Stone:
CTW = 1.01 Square Emerald Cut (AKA Asscher Cut)
Clarity = VS-2
Colour = F
Polish/Symmetry = Excellent/Very Good
Fluorescence = None
Table/Depth = 65% / 69.6%

Side Stones:
CTW = 0.51 (14 Princess Cut - 0.30 CTW & 28 Round Brilliant - 0.21 CTS)
Clarity = VS-1 / SI-1
Colour = F/G
Cut = Good

Ring itself was 6.36 Grams of Platinum.
Stone was 4200 CAD All in
Setting was 1500 CAD All in