Fashion & Beauty

Engagement Ring - CA or USA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2018 9:00 am
[OP]
May 8, 2018
1 posts

Engagement Ring - CA or USA?

Hey - Starting initial research on getting engagement ring for my GF. I currently live in the USA and will be proposing in CA.

Is it cheaper to buy in Canada or USA? Any significant price difference? Is it worth the hassle in trying to sneak it over the border...?

Currently looking at bluenile and online but may decide to buy from retail outlet for convenience.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7312 posts
1287 upvotes
Online from the US and bring it in legally, pay the tax.

You already save on shipping this way and don't need to get black listed ever.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8960 posts
1641 upvotes
Markham
I bought mine at Bluenile, it is even more convenience than buying at stores. You pick the criteria that you want and have it shipped to you by Fedex from Seattle. I got it from order to my house (GTA) within 2-3 business days. Fully insured.
At stores, they tend to sell you the lower graded stone at the higher price.
After we married and we shop at the retail stores for the wedding band, we see $2999 for 1 carat diamond ring, wife and I both laugh what kind of diamond stone you going to get for 1 carat at this price. We end up buying our wedding band at Bluenile as well.

Website on Bluenile have a very good introduction of what you should look for on a diamond. (the 5 C)
You go with your budget and pick what means the most for you. Carat? Clarity? Color, etc...
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8459 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
What's your GF like? Does she want brand names?
Apr 10, 2011
397 posts
178 upvotes
+1 for blue nile too, if you care about quality. Some girls only care about the size though. In that case, I'm sure the standard brick and mortar places here would suit you well....
Mar 15, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
lemmiwinks wrote:
May 24th, 2018 6:16 pm
Some girls only care about the size though.
Totally agree. Women will talk about cut, clarity, color, but when it comes down to, the only thing her friends and family will notice is the size.
May 29, 2012
427 posts
100 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I used b2cjewellers. They are online store from NY.
You choose the stone and setting separately.
I had a great experience. I actually ordered two times and the guy called me saying my stone came in and it was too cloudy or the flaw was located in a bad spot for my setting and he helped me by sending suggestions for better diamonds.
When online you can choose if the stone is lab graded and by who then you can download the reports and look yourself for the notes.

I was nervous buying such large item from online. So I used my credit card to order and had it shipped to a relative in the states. You can save like 2% if you do bank transfer but I preferred the purchase insurance through my credit edit card. Once it arrived to relatives I went to pick it up and before I crossed home I took it to a local jeweller and had it informally appraised to make sure I got what I paid for.

Without admitting any guilt I can say that it would be quite easy to put the ring between you seat cushion when you cross the border while saving the taxes and still having excuse if found that it must be your sisters/ mothers ring that they lost last week.

I saved about $1000 versus buying it from my local jeweller.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)