• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 12:20 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2018
9 posts

Engagement ring help.

Hi!

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking to purchase an engagement ring in the next 3-5 months. I am completely starting from scratch. I don't know much about the industry/diamonds.

I'd like to spend a maximum of 5k, but would love to keep it below that.

I've had my eye on this ring: http://www.michaelhill.ca/sir-michael-h ... ementRings

This is the style my partner prefers and she's actually tried this ring on and liked it.

Can anyone suggest tips/info for my purchase? Ways to get a deal? Thoughts on the ring above and it's price? Like I said, I'm starting from scratch so anything helps.

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3963 posts
714 upvotes
Aurora
Dude, check out Blue Nile before you go to the shopping mall to overpay for a ring. For that money you can get a similar ring with a centre diamond at least double the size and much better quality to boot.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5171 posts
1424 upvotes
Aurora
She likes what she likes and that's the most important thing, of course. Just keep in mind when the linked page says 0.95 carat, that's the total of ALL the diamonds on this ring, not main one. In terms of "value" and "worth" (yes, yes, I know those words are illusions in the diamond industry), a ring with a single 0.95c diamond is valued more than a ring with many diamonds equalling the same weight, cut and colour being equal.
Feb 20, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
You can get a jewelry maker to make almost any type of ring and have the diamond set. I agree with some of the other posters that you should buy the diamond online and just make sure you purchase one that is GIA certified. If you're really worried about it then you can have an independent appraiser give their assessment after you have bought it.