• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2018 1:27 am
[OP]
Dec 7, 2013
8 posts
1 upvote

engagement ring from USA

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy an engagement for my girlfriend in the US. I know that I would have to pay the 12% (GST + PST) on the value of the ring when I bring it back to Canada. However, the jeweler does not know the origin of the diamond. If its from a NAFTA country, then it would be duty free. How likely am I going to be charged the 8.5% duty if we honestly don't know where the diamond came from?

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1155 posts
428 upvotes
Just propose to her in the US and wear it back. Assuming you live near the border, ship it to a holding company - taxes and duty will likely cover the cost of the trip.
Sep 19, 2015
23 posts
34 upvotes
North York, ON
Unfortunately, at the border the burden of proof to be granted any duty relief for the goods in issue is on you. If you can't prove the origin of the ring, it's likely that you would be required to pay the full duty amount.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7797 posts
5194 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
seehad wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:16 pm
Unfortunately, at the border the burden of proof to be granted any duty relief for the goods in issue is on you. If you can't prove the origin of the ring, it's likely that you would be required to pay the full duty amount.
This.

Honestly, don’t know why anyone would buy anything as significant as an Engagement Ring in the USA...

I get the lower cost on Jewellery, but the headaches are not worth it IMO

Buying abroad you got to deal with exchange, Duties & Taxes, as well as future Warranty & Maintenance issues
Which could also affect your insurance etc

As far as the Diamonds... Cdn Diamonds is the way around that issue. And it is only here in Canada that we have the greatest access to them. Ethical Diamonds vs Blood Diamonds, and you are supporting the Cdn Mining Industry / Economy.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3705 posts
3670 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wear it on your pinky. Ship the ring box back.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30073 posts
4785 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I purchased a loose diamond in the US and it was duty free. If it was a ring, I would have to pay the tax.

Did the setting in Canada

In hind sight, I should have just purchased the ring and wear it back.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:12 pm
As far as the Diamonds... Cdn Diamonds is the way around that issue. And it is only here in Canada that we have the greatest access to them. Ethical Diamonds vs Blood Diamonds, and you are supporting the Cdn Mining Industry / Economy.
We have a diamond mine here in Canada? @_@
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2996 posts
2113 upvotes
The NORTH
ZoomZoom2006 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:51 pm
We have a diamond mine here in Canada? @_@
Yes, Many. Including one of the largest open pit diamond mines in the world. Our diamonds are also ethical diamonds.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7797 posts
5194 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I hope that those here who are advising the OP to just wear the ring home
Are also, recommending that the OP do the right thing & DECLARE IT

Cause anything else could be deemed as CONSPIRING with the OP to commit a crime
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/p-s-f-y- ... #p29290244

Honesty is always the best policy when importing goods

Otherwise this whole scenario could really get messy...

Making a false declarion is essentially a crime
Which can result in fines... and years of being red flagged at the border

Or even worse... in this situation

Having the ring confiscated.
How embarrassing would that be for a new Fiancée ?

Ring confiscated, fines to be paid, and a life spent filled with future long waits for Secondary Inspection everytime you cross
(potentially in either direction... as CBSA & CBP share this sort of info ... someone not trustworthy)

Ya no... don’t even consider it as an option... just tell the truth

Downside... you gotta pay the Duty & Taxes
Way less painful in the long run
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2439 posts
1391 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
eclone wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 12:42 pm
Just propose to her in the US and wear it back. Assuming you live near the border, ship it to a holding company - taxes and duty will likely cover the cost of the trip.
That's nice. Then she has to pay the duties and taxes. It's a gift, it's obtained outside Canada and it still has to be declared.

Customs inspectors are not stupid. They can tell what a new ring looks like.

People suggesting that smuggling a piece of jewelry back undeclared, on the other hand...not so bright.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7797 posts
5194 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ALLCAPS wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 2:24 am
That's nice. Then she has to pay the duties and taxes. It's a gift, it's obtained outside Canada and it still has to be declared.

Customs inspectors are not stupid. They can tell what a new ring looks like.

People suggesting that smuggling a piece of jewelry back undeclared, on the other hand...not so bright.
Not to mention, that it can be questioned ANYTIME IN THE FUTURE

Customs then confiscate the ring until proof can be provided.

Then it turns out, that it was bought in the USA, and never properly declared... and OP finds himself back in the same boat... confiscation, BIGGER Fine, and a smuggling record (and no ring ever).

Just do it right the first time. Save yourself the grief
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1020 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest calling customs and asking what documents you need for proof.
If you show them a receipt from the jeweler that might be enough. Also keep in mind that for a diamond to cross borders it must be part of the Kimberly process and you may need proof.
Your seller can write you an invoice that states to origin of where they bought the diamond, but I would still suggest calling customs to make sure what you need.