• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 6:19 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
9 posts

Engagement Rings

So I've seen quite a few threads but a lot seem outdated.
I'm about to start looking for engagement rings and I went to A A A diamonds. I seen some negative reviews but from 8-10 years ago LOL. Wondering if anyone has advice with them

They quoted me for a good price but it was GenScan certified which looks to be not very good company?
Anyone have any advice for jewellers in Toronto that are GIA certified and good prices?

Also, do people really buy through BlueNile engagement rings?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6849 posts
1002 upvotes
There was a BlueNile discussion just a few post down and yes people still do.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
When we were shopping around like 7 (?) years ago, we found that value wasn't that great in the GTA at Brock and mortar store so we bought online. Lots of people buy online. The exchange rate is less favorable these days though, but it's worth consideration to check out Blue Nile.

Any reason you prefer GIA specifically? AGS certified stones are reputable too.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
9 posts
amz155 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:25 am
When we were shopping around like 7 (?) years ago, we found that value wasn't that great in the GTA at Brock and mortar store so we bought online. Lots of people buy online. The exchange rate is less favorable these days though, but it's worth consideration to check out Blue Nile.

Any reason you prefer GIA specifically? AGS certified stones are reputable too.
The more research I've been doing the more it says GIA. But I am not opposed to AGS. Just don't want any from gem scan
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
Pbonz18 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:37 am
The more research I've been doing the more it says GIA. But I am not opposed to AGS. Just don't want any from gem scan
Yeah, neither did we. Gem Scan seemed to be common in the GTA when we were shopping around.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2880 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Gem scan is more common bc they have an office in Toronto. Cheaper for jewellers to get it grade there vs GIA
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm certainly no expert on the subject but when I was looking I came to the same conclusion. Inly trust GIA and maybe AGS. Ended up just getting a GIA certified ring even if it was the worst bang for buck diamond.

I didn't take anyone local serious because none of them would tell me what company certified thier diamonds.

Ended up ordering online from a company that would ship to Canada. Everything worked out great.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2441 posts
1321 upvotes
Pbonz18 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 3:12 pm
So I've seen quite a few threads but a lot seem outdated.
I'm about to start looking for engagement rings and I went to A A A diamonds. I seen some negative reviews but from 8-10 years ago LOL. Wondering if anyone has advice with them

They quoted me for a good price but it was GenScan certified which looks to be not very good company?
Anyone have any advice for jewellers in Toronto that are GIA certified and good prices?

Also, do people really buy through BlueNile engagement rings?
I researched extensively when shopping for my wife's engagement ring....

Strangely, Costco.ca was the winner by a long shot. Best price, best value, properly certified diamonds, all backed by Costco's bulletproof return policy.

The ring I bought from Costco.ca actually went on sale by $400 - they were totally cool with refunding the difference. The display box was also a little scratched up, so they went ahead and sent me another one too.
Apr 16, 2008
584 posts
55 upvotes
Etobicoke
Had a good experience with Kimberfire.
Dec 19, 2010
561 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jamesallen
bluenile

both very reputable and a fraction of the cost. i've purchased from both, no issues, fast and secure shipping.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7920 posts
966 upvotes
Markham
Bluenile for me too.
Wife was happy and then we go back to buy our wedding band.

A lot of Retails store don't even sell Platinum wedding band, only 18k or Titanium and try persuade me to get Titanium.
I bought the Platinum at Bluenile at the cost of the 18k in Michael Hill.

For engagement, store always advertise the carat and make it seems like a good deal for only such money. Indeed, the color, cut is very low graded stone which is the key value of the stone.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Nov 4th, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4561 posts
256 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 3:27 am
Another vote for Bluenile. Don’t trust anything but GIA
Why is AGS not trustworthy?