2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
amz155 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:36 am
Why is AGS not trustworthy?
That depends, do you trust them?

GIA established in 1931
AGS established in 1996

I’m sure they do good work, but GIA is the gold standard. No one really questions their assessment.

Definitely don’t trust Canadian certifications.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:18 pm
That depends, do you trust them?

GIA established in 1931
AGS established in 1996

I’m sure they do good work, but GIA is the gold standard. No one really questions their assessment.

Definitely don’t trust Canadian certifications.
I was asking simply because of your statement. I truested them enough to buy stones that are AGS certed :D I only considered stones that were sent to either AGS or GIA labs when shopping years ago. Didn't give GemScan much consideration at all.

The American Gem Society dates back way farther, no?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25426 posts
2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
amz155 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:11 pm
The American Gem Society dates back way farther, no?
You're correct, it dates back to 1934
May 29, 2012
411 posts
84 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I ordered online about four years ago from b2c jewellers
They are from the states but with exchange which was about $0.15 extra at the time still worked out better price and the sales people were very helpful with picking out a diamond through email.
Their website for diamond selection is laid out well where you can refine you search and most times see the lab report online before you buy, a real plus for me.
Also if you choose you can have it shipped to border and pick it up to take home and maybe bring a female companion to wear it back across for you

From what I had read GIA is the most respected of labs and that other ones aren’t as strict with their assessments so weaker diamonds make it higher in grade then if assessed by GIA but I’m no expert it’s just what I read.