• Jan 2nd, 2018 8:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1432 posts
186 upvotes
Markham, ON

Engagement Rings and Wedding Bands

I don't know much about rings and have never been crazy about it. I have witnessed obsessed "girl-talk" about rings but just cannot join in. I always just wanted a simple wedding band. I didn't even know engagement rings existed or what they were for. I have not looked into engagement rings or done any reading about such topic because I don't care.

Please bare with me as I try to let you understand what I am saying.

I believe and I may be totally wrong. From observation alone, I believe an engagement ring is to show someone you truly desire for such person and that you want them to be your lifelong partner. At first the ring was just made of plants but plants withers so eventually man found the hardest and prettiest rock on earth being the Diamond. It's a rock that cannot be scratch, it would stay solid and beautiful forever (much like your hope for any relationship).

The rock is just symbolic though. My question is would anyone buy a really well made flower engagement ring that is priced the same as a diamond ring that is crafted just as well.

A flower Ring can symbolize that an engagement is temporarily, that a relationship have blossomed and when it withers away it's replaced by a wedding band. It was a beautiful memory, the courting and the engagement and now we are ready to embark on our next journey.

What do you think? Would you consider buying a flower engagement ring that is priced the same as a diamond ring? How would you react if you receive a flower engagement ring?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13824 posts
2405 upvotes
Toronto
Cubic zirconia is just as nice. Might be cheaper. Serves the same purpose.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5183 posts
2727 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 4:25 am
Would you consider buying a flower engagement ring that is priced the same as a diamond ring? How would you react if you receive a flower engagement ring?
Is this a trick question for all bridezillas out there?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2031 posts
1418 upvotes
It doesn't matter what others think - it only matters what the person receiving the ring thinks. While the giving and receiving of rings is a long held tradition, it is still a personal symbol to many of the endless strength of their love and commitment to each other. Some people simply want a diamond ring while some are over the moon happy without it. It's a personal choice and you really should already know how your other feels about it.
Jul 4, 2009
893 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga area
I think its just in North America that do the whole diamond engagement ring thing.

My wedding ring has moissanite instead of diamonds and I think it's just as pretty. I would never wear cubic zirconia in a ring setting, its too soft and scratches too easily.

When I was younger, it HAD to be a diamond. It was really important that I had what my friends have. Now that I'm older, those things don't matter to me anymore, but it took me years to get there.
So keep in mind, that though the person you give the ring to will be happy, others might lessen their joy by saying crap that upset them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1432 posts
186 upvotes
Markham, ON
roblombardi wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:13 am
Is this a trick question for all bridezillas out there?
No. It's for the person intending to propose. It's sort of sad when you go shopping for a ring together. Where's the surprise, I remember someone retelling how she was proposed to. She was totally surprised and she could not believe it was happening and she felt like she was watching herself being proposed to.

Yesterday I was just thinking a big diamond ring would get in the way of my Mitton. Then I thought why not just some vines.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5183 posts
2727 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 1:59 pm
No. It's for the person intending to propose. It's sort of sad when you go shopping for a ring together. Where's the surprise, I remember someone retelling how she was proposed to. She was totally surprised and she could not believe it was happening and she felt like she was watching herself being proposed to.
If you propose with a really well made flower engagement ring, but the expectation is that you should be proposing with a diamond ring... you will definitely see the surprise on the other party
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4019 posts
864 upvotes
Sask.
Any ring can be an engagement ring or wedding band.

It is nice having the proposal be a surprize, and to have rings chosen by the guy - sure, old-fashioned of me maybe, but it was special to me.

Do lots of looking around, and you will be able to find rings inspired by nature - and some even have diamonds.

The one thing you will be have to be careful of if you aren't buying a wedding ring set, that you will be able to match/fit a wedding band to a engagement ring which has an unusual shape.

Check around on this site - use different search terms.
https://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/page ... er%20rings

https://www.etsy.com/market/floral_wedding_ring

https://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/products/r649
https://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/products/r625p
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5367 posts
579 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 1:59 pm

Yesterday I was just thinking a big diamond ring would get in the way of my Mitton. Then I thought why not just some vines.
:rolleyes: I bought my own ring setting. I don't need nor want to be surprised about that sort of thing (do adults in committed relationships not have serious talks about the future of their relationship?). Being surprised in public would be my version of a living nightmare. Shudder.

If someone is worried about a big rock getting stuck on their mitten (lol) then they can very easily choose a setting that doesn't get caught on stuff. Mine doesn't, I never wanted a high set stone so I didn't consider those settings. Or don't choose a big stone. If you want some vines, go for it. Are you gonna need a year supply for when the vines fall apart daily when you use your hands?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7981 posts
5363 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There is no right or wrong answer to the Question posed...
Which is essentially

What constitutes an Engagement Ring

In fact, there does not even have to be an Engagement Ring
Or even a Formal Proposal for that matter

What most couples do is have a conversation about the future
And Marriage (if that is how they roll)

This is true whether it’s a Western Dating Scenario
Or an Eastern (or other cultural practice of) Arranged Marriages

Someone puts forward the idea
And one / both parties ACCEPT that idea

So be it Dating, Moving in Together, Getting Engaged / Married
HOPEFULLY someone actually used a GROWN UP APPROACH and floated the idea

Cause guess what...
CONVERSATION is the core of any good relationship. Period

A Proposal as a 100% surprise is not cool

I think most women have the idea that the Question / Proposal is imminent
As the future is actively discussed with their BF

The idea of dating someone and them just popping the Question out of the blue
Would be extremely scary to BOTH parties I would think

No one wants to float this Question and be turned down
And no one wants to be caught off guard by someone asking if they see the relationship as far more casual

Talk about awkward for both people
(In today’s society that could be Men, Women or Both... in that we now live in a world with same sex couples... and hetro relationships where women have the power to Propose as well)

The tradition of giving ones beloved a Ring, or other sentimental gift varies across cultures
Engagement Rings are not a given... and actually a rather new custom
Even Wedding Rings are not necessarily common the world over
(Wedding Rings for men only caught on because of WW II)

Today, a Proposal Gift or Engagement Ring can be whatever a couple wishes it to be
A wise man (or woman) will make a point to find out what it is their itended likes / desires
Be that Great Grammas family heirloom broach or ring with the Art Deco styling and the diamond so small you need a magnifying glass to find it... or something else
Birthstones, Gem Stones, CZs, Diamonds... matching tattoos
It is totally up to the couple to decide what is right for them

And also hopefully, what might and might not work in the way of a Proposal
(If someone goes so far as to make that a formal act vs just a casual ask)

Some folks are ok with the Social Media worthy Flash Mob or very public Centre Ice Proposal
Many are not

That would not have worked in our relationship
That would have most definitely gotten us off on the wrong foot
That would have no doubt caused a very awkward conversation / or silent treatment vs a happy result

Lol, good thing our styles match... so it never was an option to begin with
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1432 posts
186 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sounds like no one will propose with a flower Ring.

I agree that it is foolish to propose totally out of the blue.