• Mar 8th, 2011 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
323 posts
57 upvotes

Engine crank case filter

50000Km inspection is coming up on my 2007 Ford Fusion. Manual says to replace "engine crank case filter". Is this just another term for PCvalve or something else.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6145 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 11:50 am
50000Km inspection is coming up on my 2007 Ford Fusion. Manual says to replace "engine crank case filter". Is this just another term for PCvalve or something else.

Never heard for a crank case filter... Sure it isn't oil filter?
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
323 posts
57 upvotes
No, the oil filter is listed separately. The french version of the maintenance guide list it as the "filtre du carter". I'm a little stumped as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6145 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 12:09 pm
No, the oil filter is listed separately. The french version of the maintenance guide list it as the "filtre du carter". I'm a little stumped as well.

Crank would only have a sensor I believe. Not a filter, unless the crank case is leaking in which you would have to replace the pan's gasket maybe? I hate computerized cars...
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3290 posts
123 upvotes
Thornhill
I think its under your air filter.

It should look something similar to this

Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6145 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto
mau108 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 12:14 pm
I think its under your air filter.

It should look something similar to this

I just checked autoparts. There is no listing for a crank filter. Again, I have never heard of one, so I'm at a loss. Call the dealer to see if they have a part # for it. Otherwise, don't worry about it :)
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
i would agree with the OP it is something like a PVC.
when you motor is running the oil gets hot and oil fumes need to be evacuated from the crankcase and most is channel back into the intake to be burnt.
but the filter pictured seems to shows it will be released to the atmosphere.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3290 posts
123 upvotes
Thornhill
packardbell wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 12:40 pm
i would agree with the OP it is something like a PVC.
when you motor is running the oil gets hot and oil fumes need to be evacuated from the crankcase and most is channel back into the intake to be burnt.
but the filter pictured seems to shows it will be released to the atmosphere.

It's not released in to the atmosphere, its recirculated back in to the intake box for the air filter to pick up. Nifty idea. Sending it back in to the atmosphere would not allow the vehicle to pass emissions.

On my honda there is the PCV but also another outlet on the crankcase that is routed to part of my intake (post filter), looks like Ford is filtering the oil out and sending it back in to the intake tube.

OP, open up your intake box, remove the filter and look inside it should be there (if there is one!).
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link= ... rdmg1e.pdf

These are the 30k miles/ 50k km scheduled items. I don't see it said replace crank case filter.

❑ Change engine oil and replace oil filter.
❑ Inspect tires for wear and rotate.
❑ Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake
lines & hoses, and parking brake system.
❑ Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.
❑ Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
❑ Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
❑ Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension
and, if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and
U-joints.
❑ Replace fuel filter (see page 47) (not required
for Fusion, Milan & Zephyr).
❑ Replace engine air filter (not required for Focus).
❑ Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
❑ Inspect automatic transmission/transaxle fluid
level on all other vehicles, if equipped with
dipstick. Consult your dealer for your particular
requirements.
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat filter if equipped
(LS and Monterey).
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat cushion filter, if
equipped (Zephyr)
❑ Multi-point inspection (recommended)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 12:09 pm

I am not french but isn't a "filtre du carter" a filter housing? As in "the housing" that contains the engine air filter or the cabin air filter?
I am not sure where you understood crankcase filter.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
May 6, 2010
461 posts
21 upvotes
most likely they refer to the one installed in the sump/pan or whatever this thing is called.
a must procedure for many european cars, but usually with mileage over 100k.
however it could be simple PCV valve.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
323 posts
57 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 3:08 pm
I am not french but isn't a "filtre du carter" a filter housing? As in "the housing" that contains the engine air filter or the cabin air filter?
I am not sure where you understood crankcase filter.

Crank case filter is in the english description, filtre du carter is in the french version. Actually the housing part would make sense if it's in the air filter housing like a previous poster had mentioned. I guess I'll go into the dealership tomorrow (with my ass cheeks clenched) and ask at the parts department.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 9:01 pm
Crank case filter is in the english description, filtre du carter is in the french version. Actually the housing part would make sense if it's in the air filter housing like a previous poster had mentioned. I guess I'll go into the dealership tomorrow (with my ass cheeks clenched) and ask at the parts department.

well you forget they are a service center and will have pry bars, so i think just bring the lube and be prepared to bend over pillow biter. :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4742 posts
745 upvotes
BC
mau108 has it right.
Separate small filter that oil fumes from the crankcase pass through before being fed back into the intake.

Part of the PVC/oil separator or whatever the Fusion uses.

Bound to be in need of replacement after a certain period of time/mileage, or you wouldn't pass an emmisions test.

If there isn't one on your Fusion, it must be accomplishing the same thing by other means closer to the crankcase.
× < >