Tags:
[OP]
Sep 26, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes

Engine Seized up

Hi everyone,

So I'll tell you my story:

I am leasing a 2017 Ford Escape SE, which I leased directly from a ford dealership. I purchased the extended powertrain warranty with my lease.

So I'm at 48,000 KM, and I'm covered for 5 years/100,000 km.

2 Weeks ago, I noticed that my car was starting to knock, so I opened up the hood, and noticed the oil cap was not screwed it. My previous service was nearly four months ago, and I hadn't had issues with my car since I bought it.

There was oil all over the hood, over all the components and then I checked my dipstick, which was just above the minimum line. On my way to the gas station, the check engine light came on, so I immediately called ford to schedule a repair, and they would only give me October 2nd (this was booked September 18th).

So I filled the oil, and the knocking went away as well as the Check Engine Light.

Yesterday, my car displayed 'Engine failure, service now' but the car was still running at about half power. I turned it off and restarted it, and the car resumed operating at full power so I didn't think nothing of it.

So today, I checked my engine oil, and it was just below the MAX line around 8 AM. At around 5 PM, my car started to knock really loud and I thought it was just rocks being hit around, but then when I tested a rev around 6 PM, it started knocking louder and louder, and then my car just died. I couldn't turn the engine, and i had it towed to ford today, and CAA advised me that the engine likely seized. He checked my oil level and it was completely dry, which led to the knocking of the engine.

Now question, will this be covered under my warranty? I have done every scheduled maintenance with ford since I got this vehicle, and I have been checking my oil every day. The check engine light came off once i refilled the oil in the car. Prior to my engine seizing, no oil pressure light came on, nor did the Check Engine Light.

Please advise.
99 replies
Oct 13, 2013
38 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
You really checked your oil every day? Who does that?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32792 posts
7023 upvotes
Ottawa
The only thing you can do is take it to the dealer....and don't tell them about it making noise for almost 2 weeks, and hope they diagnose it.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2738 posts
1522 upvotes
GTA
vandave wrote: You really checked your oil every day? Who does that?
Yes, but after he ruined his engine Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. How you dont see oil spitting all over engine bay for months is beyond understanding.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7382 posts
1832 upvotes
Where did your oil go?
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Dec 7, 2009
253 posts
106 upvotes
burbs
Is it the eco-boost engine? My brothers 2017 F-150 with V-6 eco-boost had the exact same sounds and loss of power and then engine blew up with only 60,000 kms. He had it towed to the dealership and they replaced the engine and turbo, no questions asked.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5052 posts
4453 upvotes
Montreal
Signs up today, check, First post is a thread with some outrageous story, check. Sounds like a troll but....

Last service was 4 months ago and you only opened the hood after you heard the engine knocking? You hear your engine knocking and you 'thought it was rocks' even though the engine had already been knocking for 2 weeks? If this isn't another troll thread then it is owner negligence to me. You're suppose to check engine oil once/month which you didn't.
May 2, 2018
61 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I always knew Fords were a p.o.s. but even I'm taken aback. How can a brand new engine lose oil and seize after less than 50k? If you never changed the oil or you used the incorrect oil it could have gotten sludged up in the engine. That's the only way this can happen to a new engine aside from a serious manufacturing defect. It is a Ford after all... fix or repair daily. Just out of curiousity when you were checking the oil did you check it warm or cold? What colour was it? If it was black as charcoal I'm not surprised. Ask dealer if they actually changed the oil.
Jun 21, 2006
690 posts
199 upvotes
yes ford should cover the expenses for a new engine
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11446 posts
7163 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is entertaining.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1305 posts
567 upvotes
Bull, if the cap was open for 4 months and oil was spraying everywhere, you would know. It'd be burning and smoking off the manifold and it'd reek of well, burnt oil.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20998 posts
10412 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
dafuq did I just reading?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10895 posts
5323 upvotes
Toronto
Too much vtech caused your engine to self detonate. Ford uses vtechnology.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Sep 26, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes
Actually i had another account, but couldnt remember my login.

No, Ive been checking daily since I discovered the oil cap was not screwed on, and I did top it off with the proper oil as per my manual. I tried to bring it in right away, but Ford said there was nothing available, so I proceeded with caution to drive until the appointment date.