• Apr 5th, 2015 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
That's like saying all billionaires live in US. So living in US can make you Richer.80% of billionaires drink orange juice in morning. That can also make you richer.... but truth is that there are 70% of engineering graduates looking forjobs in their field.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
Passion in anything can make one rich. Personally I like to find out first if a profession is sustainable and then whether or not I like it, and the rest will come.

Also being smart/luck/connections etc plays a huge role as well.

Anyone blindly choosing a field won't be a billionaire for sure, even if experts say so.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Or make you work at McDonald's with thousands of dollars debt in student loans.
Banned
Mar 20, 2015
149 posts
10 upvotes
ON
You mean like being a grocery store cashier, waiter/waitress, garbage collector, pan handlers, degree in arts / music / aesthetics/ etc????
Crichtonfan wrote: Passion in anything can make one rich. Personally I like to find out first if a profession is sustainable and then whether or not I like it, and the rest will come.

Also being smart/luck/connections etc plays a huge role as well.

Anyone blindly choosing a field won't be a billionaire for sure, even if experts say so.
Jan 6, 2009
82 posts
7 upvotes
Fort McMurray
The wealthiest people I know were all trades people that went on their own after a few years. Can engineers do the same? Absolutely. Start your own consulting / engineering firm, you will do well for yourself.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
blighty wrote: Yes...this is coming from the experts
Not surprising considering the most intelligent generally study these fields.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
blighty wrote: You mean like being a grocery store cashier, waiter/waitress, garbage collector, pan handlers, degree in arts / music / aesthetics/ etc????
Well, a cashier, waiter/waitress could become a manager, or open his/her own store, and become rich if they are very good. When you study Engineering, you don't just become rich. You have to be one of the best to become rich, or even to find an Engineering job nowadays. So, if you're one of the best and have passion, you can become rich with a degree in anything.
There are panhandlers who have a lot more money than most people who have real jobs... :cheesygri
Dec 7, 2014
81 posts
84 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
deeper wrote: The wealthiest people I know were all trades people that went on their own after a few years. Can engineers do the same? Absolutely. Start your own consulting / engineering firm, you will do well for yourself.
The trouble with starting your own engineering consulting business is that it requires an incredible amount of skill. You're offering a skill that isn't as straightforward as plumbing, furnace repair or electrical wiring. Your clientelle is also limited to your industry so you're constantly dealing with other companies- not individual home owners. Starting a business as an engineer requires at least a few things: 1) you're INCREDIBLE among other people who are also very smart 2) you have amazing connections 3) you fall into a burgeoning industry. The pathway of business ownership for an engineer is riddled with failure.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OP's article also says this...

[QUOTE]"However, the report suggests that multi-millionaires in the making might be better off forgoing university altogether, as almost a third of the wealthiest people in the world do not have degrees."[/QUOTE]

Sooooooo yeah. Just as I don't think dropping out of university is a guarantee to make me super rich, neither will studying in engineering. It's all about a bunch of factors, luck included.