Engineering Career Vs Accounting Degree

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2008
117 posts
1 upvote
Pitz said: "Its not just a matter of engineers going, "pay us more because we 'ERTW'". Its really a matter of engineers going, "provide us more resources so that our profession can attract the best and brightest to bring solutions that improve your quality of living".

HAHAHAHAHAHA....lmao, really??engineers think like this???99% of engineers don't two shits about providing solutions, helping people etc...they do it because they get paid t do it! my god, it's frustrating, and hilarious how some actually believe that engineers are on a mission to improve quality of life, and are only asking for the resources to complete that mission.
Mar 16, 2008
170 posts
Some of you make it seem like engineers are a group of elitists. Like some have mentioned here, you should not make this choice purely based on what others say (regarding earning opportunities and status). You should make a choice based on which profession you feel most comfortable pursuing and that which you feel will provide you with the most satisfaction. Neither choice is better than the other. It is up to you to decide which one you want.
Nov 11, 2008
117 posts
1 upvote
Pitz said: "The angle many engineers come from when approaching this problem is one of public concern"

my god, it's like comedy routine. You can't be serious. Please don't tell me you actually believe this. Unless, by "many" you mean 0.001% of engineers, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You shouldn't be giving advice to high school students.
Apr 19, 2009
271 posts
2 upvotes
again...that's why i HATE these threads with profession A vs. profession B

honestly, its bad enough that people start tearing each other in the CA vs CMA vs CGA threads..but at least they are within the accounting profession..but accountings vs engineers??? WTF....how can you compare two completely separate professions???? these threads end up making people from both professions bitter at one another for no rational reason!!!!!!

as well, this thread is WAY too dominated by engineers! too much emphasis on how they are the building blocks of companies for innovation, etc...dont get me wrong, they certainly do their part.....but on a super high level, have you ever considered that accountants basically determine budgeting and financing for these departments??? like whether or not to undertake a certain capital budget and what type of financing to use such as issuing bonds or shares??? its base on these financial reporting and budgeting that determines whether proper cash flow can be generated to undertake such projects etc. sure infrastructure may be in the shits and are need of engineers for redevelopment, but it is ultimately the accountants job to figure out which of these projects to undertake base on ROI, EVA, RI, and other measurements....and it is base of these budgets and constraints that the engineers have to work with to be creative with their work
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
53 upvotes
nameh wrote:
May 16th, 2009 2:27 am
Pitz said: "The angle many engineers come from when approaching this problem is one of public concern"

my god, it's like comedy routine. You can't be serious. Please don't tell me you actually believe this. Unless, by "many" you mean 0.001% of engineers, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You shouldn't be giving advice to high school students.
The infrastructure deficit is a 'comedy routine'?

http://www.pppcouncil.ca/issues_infraDeficit.asp#Cost
We have already used 79% of our infrastructure's life expectancy
http://www.pppcouncil.ca/pdf/mirza.pdf

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

(and the numbers from that particular Civil-engineering-centric website do not include, at all, any private sector infrastructure, ie: much of the electrical generation and transmission infrastructure in North America, all of the communications infrastructure, etc.)
but on a super high level, have you ever considered that accountants basically determine budgeting and financing for these departments???
What use is all that fancy 'money' stuff, when the value of money fluctuates so much, and so violently, from year to year? The physics of a project ultimately determine if it will go forward; 'finance' is just an abstraction of various concepts, namely EROEI (energy return on energy invested), savings (produce more than you consume, and wham, you got savings), and investment (using excess productive capacity to build additional productive capacity). Nothing that can't be replicated through other means.

(and as to why anyone would call me, "angry", I'm perplexed.... Its only a little bit dissappointing, though, that engineers have been slagged by the business world in their quest for short-term, unsustainable profits.)
98% of engineers don't give a rats ass about being innovative, and fixing the world infrastructure.
If, indeed, what you are saying is true (its not) -- then we have a gigantic problem on our hands. Thankfully, you're just full of BS and are just probably jealous that the age of finance is over, and an era based on more traditional values of hard work, ingenuity, and innovation is beginning. All of which are complete lacking in the finance industry.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
May 19, 2008
530 posts
6 upvotes
Wherever my job take…
nameh wrote:
May 16th, 2009 2:17 am

Some here make it seem like engineers are on a mission to save the world, when in reality they get paid as much as police officers, have absolutely zero social life, and/or skills, and sit in front a computer for 8 hours a day waiting for the next paycheck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOtoujYOWw0
Oct 15, 2008
112 posts
ca
nameh wrote:
May 16th, 2009 2:17 am
when in reality they get paid as much as police officers, have absolutely zero social life, and/or skills, and sit in front a computer for 8 hours a day waiting for the next paycheck.
Wrong! Not the engineers i work with. Pay scale will be determined really by you, your ambition, drive and skill. I work with a lot who have fine social skills, in fact that is one of the most important skills - communication. So the "zero" social life skills is out in left field. SO is sitting in front of the computer. You as an engineer, will have to oversee the construction, oversee the progress first hand. You will talk with vendors, contractors and tradesmen. nameh doesn't know what the F**K he is talking about.

Depending what you specialize in you will spend a great deal of time using a computer either for modeling, rendering, budgeting and even perhaps some simulated testing. But don't think you are simply in front of the computer all day long every day. THat is BS. A lot of your time will be in meetings and site/construction/project oversees. Do what you love and enjoy.
Mar 5, 2007
627 posts
Pitz,

I've told you this once and I will tell you again: Engineering is nowhere near the end-all-be all profession of cosmic importance you make it out to be. That's nice that you work in this profession and all, but I don't understand your constant need to preach to the world how Engineers are single handily responsible for all that's good in life.

I think you need a reality check!
Mar 5, 2007
627 posts
To Any High School Kids:

Take everything Ptiz says with a BIG grain of salt. He is about as biased as they come... Do your own research into the profession, including contacting universities, your guidance councilors at school and searching the web, before making a decision.

DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION ON PITZ VIEWS

You may learn to regret that decision down the road if you do!!!
Sep 26, 2007
846 posts
20 upvotes
Caillo wrote:
May 16th, 2009 1:04 pm
To Any High School Kids:

Take everything Ptiz says with a BIG grain of salt. He is about as biased as they come... Do your own research into the profession, including contacting universities, your guidance councilors at school and searching the web, before making a decision.

+1

Do what you enjoy and what you think you will be good at. Lastly, if pitz posts, scroll right through. Nothing but propaganda.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
23 upvotes
Caillo wrote:
May 16th, 2009 1:04 pm
To Any High School Kids:

TooSoonJr wrote:
May 16th, 2009 2:30 pm
+1

Do what you enjoy and what you think you will be good at. Lastly, if pitz posts, scroll right through. Nothing but propaganda.

:arrowd:
May 19, 2008
530 posts
6 upvotes
Wherever my job take…
Pitz tells it like it is. +100
Nov 11, 2008
117 posts
1 upvote
pitz wrote:
May 16th, 2009 8:50 am
The infrastructure deficit is a 'comedy routine'?

http://www.pppcouncil.ca/issues_infraDeficit.asp#Cost

http://www.pppcouncil.ca/pdf/mirza.pdf

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

(and the numbers from that particular Civil-engineering-centric website do not include, at all, any private sector infrastructure, ie: much of the electrical generation and transmission infrastructure in North America, all of the communications infrastructure, etc.)

What use is all that fancy 'money' stuff, when the value of money fluctuates so much, and so violently, from year to year? The physics of a project ultimately determine if it will go forward; 'finance' is just an abstraction of various concepts, namely EROEI (energy return on energy invested), savings (produce more than you consume, and wham, you got savings), and investment (using excess productive capacity to build additional productive capacity). Nothing that can't be replicated through other means.

(and as to why anyone would call me, "angry", I'm perplexed.... Its only a little bit dissappointing, though, that engineers have been slagged by the business world in their quest for short-term, unsustainable profits.)

If, indeed, what you are saying is true (its not) -- then we have a gigantic problem on our hands. Thankfully, you're just full of BS and are just probably jealous that the age of finance is over, and an era based on more traditional values of hard work, ingenuity, and innovation is beginning. All of which are complete lacking in the finance industry.
lol..wow..that post was a complete fail..'ll address your points one at a time..

1: I didn't say there wasn't an infrastructure deficit. I didn't even imply that there wasn't. I simply laughed at your claim that engineers are approaching this problem with empathy,and worry about the public, which is completely ridiculous.

2: If finance can be replicated through other means, why hasn't it? Why do companies hire people in finance if they are replaceable? There you go again with your ridiculous assertions.

3. Spitz said: "Thankfully, you're just full of BS and are just probably jealous that the age of finance is over, and an era based on more traditional values of hard work, ingenuity, and innovation is beginning. All of which are complete lacking in the finance industry"

The age of finance is not over, because there was never an age for it. People in finance are hired, and well compensated because corporations, and small businesses alike realize they need them. And believe me, tell ANY accountant or CFA he/she doesn't work hard, and you will walk away with a black eye and a fat lip. So please, enough with the cheap shots...
Nov 11, 2008
117 posts
1 upvote
mike24 wrote:
May 16th, 2009 9:03 pm
Pitz tells it like it is. +100
Sarcasm? lol....he tells it like it is from an engineers perspective. He hasn't said one positive thing about finance. lol