Engineering Career Vs Accounting Degree

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 4:35 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
Some engineering students on RFD have found good jobs
- $60 000 starting salary, $80 000 current salary, close to 6 figure salary in USA (new job), etc.

example:
ian1386 wrote:Starting a job down in the US next week starting a little shy of 6 figures base salary, but signing bonuses guarantee 6 figures for at least the first two years. Certainly proud...fresh grad at 23.

I just finished SE at Waterloo, and I can answer a few things for you:

1) High school marks don't really have that much indication on how "smart" people are. Everybody in my class had high 80-90s coming out of high school, and we lost about half our class after the first year. Making it through university has little to do with how "smart" you are and almost entirely depends on how willing you are to work hard. You have to consider it a full-time job. Some weeks you may have little work, but others you may have to pull many all-nighters to get stuff done on time.

2) Don't look at how "hard" courses are...take what interests you. If you hate programming then you'll fail out of Software, regardless of the amount of work. You won't do work you don't like.

Engineering will require a LOT of work in university.
Jan 10, 2019
1 posts
As a marine engineer i work 70 a week minimum.The second engineer I work with does 84. Not to mention the extra time due to faults and improving myself in the field.