Students

EngSci vs Mechatronics

Jul 3, 2010
265 posts
16 upvotes
mississauga

EngSci vs Mechatronics

With 95% average in physics, chem, biol, math/calculus, and English, I believe my son can get into any engineering program. We are thinking about EngSci at UofT or Mechatronics at UofW. What kind of jobs do you get after these degrees and which companies hire them ? Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, etc, are traditional degrees and it is clear what kind of jobs you get after these degrees. I am not clear about Engsci and Mechanotronics engineering degrees. Does anybody know about them and what is their their experience in getting a job in their own field?
25 replies
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
26 upvotes
johnnycash10 wrote: With 95% average in physics, chem, biol, math/calculus, and English, I believe my son can get into any engineering program. We are thinking about EngSci at UofT or Mechatronics at UofW. What kind of jobs do you get after these degrees and which companies hire them ? Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, etc, are traditional degrees and it is clear what kind of jobs you get after these degrees. I am not clear about Engsci and Mechanotronics engineering degrees. Does anybody know about them and what is their their experience in getting a job in their own field?
The newer engineering degrees that have appeared in the last 15 years or so are mostly marketing and do not differ significantly from the traditional degrees, with the exception of a few electives. Look closely at the courses that make up these programs, and compare them to the traditional programs (EE or ME for mechatronics, EE for EngSci I would guess), keeping in mind that you have freedom to specialize by taking electives. The programs will not be that much different.

My advise is always to take the traditional degree. You learn the same things, and do not artificially limit employment opportunities because of the name of your degree.
Aug 14, 2007
84 posts
12 upvotes
Etobicoke
Not to mention most of the workforce does not even have a slightest idea what EngSci is. This is comming from a student who graduated from EngSci few years ago.

In EngSci, for the first two years the program touches base on every engineering spectrum hence making it a very challenging program. I would choose UWO simply because of there spectacular coop program and the partner ship it has with other companies. At the end of the day it comes down to experience(from co-op) and who you know.

UofT Engineering (4years+1co-op) - So, 5 years of schooling gets you 1 year of coop
WHERE AS,
UWO Engineering (5 years) - get's you almost two year's worth of experience and not to mention you get to work for multiple companies.

Last suggestion that I would like to give is if your son knows what stream he wants to go in. He might as well go into that as opposed to doing a generic EngSci degree which is again very difficult.
Jun 22, 2011
390 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
UWO? i think you meant to say UW (Waterloo).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
U of T EngSci is a killer program. A lot of students burn out and switch to regular engineering.

If you'd like your son to go to U of T, go with a regular engineering stream, EngSci isn't worth it. Or, go to UW. Regardless of his choice, he should go for eSIP/PEY or co-op. Experience is key.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
flamez1000 wrote: U of T EngSci is a killer program. A lot of students burn out and switch to regular engineering.
...Except that it's hard to switch out to the engineering program of their choice because their 1st/2nd year marks stink (or they wouldn't have switched). Too much studying to graduate without being particularly good at anything.

I'm biased, but if the choice is between UofT and UW for engineering, go to UW.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
I have 2 friends who did engsci at UofT (so did my dad at Western) and they both said, don't do engsci if you're going to graduate and get a normal job, its useless, unless you want to do post graduate stuff. They also said that engsci teaches you to be a problem solver instead of just having you take courses in this and that.

A warning about UW engineering, you need a certain number of co-op terms to graduate, and a friend of my dad's son went for Mech at UW. He was only offered 1 job, and they severely underpaid him ($12/hour) because they knew he needed a certain number of terms to graduate.
Depending on the year, job market, experience, ethnicity, marks, etc etc it might be hard to find a job.

EDIT: UofT is cheap. I got into both and UW offered me a scholarship while I got zip from UofT.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Feb 5, 2005
419 posts
27 upvotes
Mechanical Engineering at U of T has a mechatronics stream that you can select in your 3rd and 4th year (or at least, when I went there they had it - graduated UofT mech eng in 08). There is also a co-op option (PEY) after 3rd year that allows you to take 12-16mo. for an engineering internship, where ever you can find one.
Jun 3, 2005
273 posts
17 upvotes
johnnycash10 wrote: With 95% average in physics, chem, biol, math/calculus, and English, I believe my son can get into any engineering program. We are thinking about EngSci at UofT or Mechatronics at UofW. What kind of jobs do you get after these degrees and which companies hire them ? Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, etc, are traditional degrees and it is clear what kind of jobs you get after these degrees. I am not clear about Engsci and Mechanotronics engineering degrees. Does anybody know about them and what is their their experience in getting a job in their own field?
You got PM
Mar 13, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I'd say UW would be the better choice mainly due to Co-op. As one of the above poster's mentioned, co-op is a huge advantage. Most UofT students would agree as well
Jul 3, 2010
265 posts
16 upvotes
mississauga
I understand from your replies that EngSci at UT or Mechatronics at UW don't provide any advantage over traditional engineering degrees (chem, mech, elect,..). For traditional degrees, UW appears to be better due to co-op but if you can't find co-op in your area of interest, it may not be all that useful. Of course one can do co-op in different industries if available. UT with PEY is not bad. Cokeman, your suggestion is appealing that Mechanical Engineering at UT has a mechatronics stream that can be selected in 3rd and 4th year. By following this stream, can somebody get a job in electronics industry?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
As an engineering student with an off stream, i would recommend that your son get into a traditional stream like Anonymouse has suggested. I am in the engineering of systems and computing program at Guelph and the first question i pretty much always get is what do i actually do in my program. My program is basically a general engineering degree in addition to hardware and software experience. I also have an opportunity to do a minor in mechatronics depending on which engineering electives i pick.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
johnnycash10 wrote: I understand from your replies that EngSci at UT or Mechatronics at UW don't provide any advantage over traditional engineering degrees (chem, mech, elect,..). For traditional degrees, UW appears to be better due to co-op but if you can't find co-op in your area of interest, it may not be all that useful. Of course one can do co-op in different industries if available. UT with PEY is not bad. Cokeman, your suggestion is appealing that Mechanical Engineering at UT has a mechatronics stream that can be selected in 3rd and 4th year. By following this stream, can somebody get a job in electronics industry?
You can get a job in any industry regardless of your degree.

Just to reiterate what others have already said, EngSci = post grad work. Mechatronics is dealing with robotics, interfacing with computers and electronics. Totally different, can't even compare.

Let your son do whatever he is interested in doing, even if it isn't engineering. Most of the coop jobs are related to software, FYI.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Mar 21, 2013
5 posts
3 upvotes
Johnny Cash
I was in the same situation like you last year when my son is grade 12. When you are in red flag deals, you search for good deals, like value for your money. A lot of engineering students here is very emotional to defend their school. I can share you with my son's story.

My son decided to go to EngSci last year while receiving offers from waterloo with top scholarship. My calculation is: EngSci is one of the best. You paid the same price tag as waterloo engineering. The cost is the same. However, I am in Toronto, and my son will save $12K of living cost. So UOT is better in financial viewpoint for me.

Secondly, a lot of people got sold into co-op. UOT has eSIP (Engineer Summer Internship Program). It's co-op but you don't pay first. When you find the job, you can pay the school to count it as experience. (250$?) So as a consumer, do you want to pay first or pay later? I believe the choice is obvious. Pay as you need.

Thirdly, how about the job? None of programs can guarantee the jobs. It really depends on your son's skill and YOUR CONNECTION. My son already got a job in one of engineering organization in this summer with the hourly rate 18$. He has some 12 friends going to UW, but he told me only 2 have confirmed offer today. His another friend in EngSci (first year) also got a job from Amazon. So I would say your son has equal chances in UOT. It's more on the ability of your son.

Finally, EngSci is a very tough program, and need 100% attention. No party allowed. My son is doing well with GPA of 3.9 so far. There is no such saying killer program. It will really depend on your son. But I know the EngSci learn more than any other eng. But again from buyer perspective, it is good for you. You get more from what you pay. However, if your son is from those high school with inflated scores, please be careful from here. They will expect 10 to 20% drop in the score. I strongly recommend you to attend the open house. Ask a lot of questions about the program. Don't buy into any sale talk. At the end, let your son decide!
Jul 3, 2010
265 posts
16 upvotes
mississauga
Thanks March2013. UT is definitely better for me from the financial point of view since I also live in Toronto. You are right that getting a job depends on my son's ability. One of my questions is that do industries know about mechatronics or EngSci programs? May I ask what type of industry did your son and his friend got the job? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
johnnycash10 wrote: Thanks March2013. UT is definitely better for me from the financial point of view since I also live in Toronto. You are right that getting a job depends on my son's ability. One of my questions is that do industries know about mechatronics or EngSci programs? May I ask what type of industry did your son and his friend got the job? Thanks
Not sure if OP understood the poster's post. I would read it that the poster indicated, it was through their/family connections their son got the engineering job.

A parent's connections is VERY important now for the best jobs. A firm, I visit often hires one or two interns each summer. ALL of the interns are related to executives working there. ;)
Mar 21, 2013
5 posts
3 upvotes
johnnycash10 wrote: Thanks March2013. UT is definitely better for me from the financial point of view since I also live in Toronto. You are right that getting a job depends on my son's ability. One of my questions is that do industries know about mechatronics or EngSci programs? May I ask what type of industry did your son and his friend got the job? Thanks
I am not sure about mechatronics. But I know you have a lot of choices of detail programs for EngSci. They are very flexible. For the first year, your son will be allowed to transfer to any undergraduate programs without any problem, including any core engineering programs. My son will work for system engineering department of the biggest engineering firm here in canada. I don't have any connection to it although myself is a PE. Here is the guide (http://www.academicinvest.com/engineering-careers) you may find very useful. He can very easily join some professional societies like IEEE, PEO during summer time when he enrolls in the university program. There are a lot of activities in the local chapter, and he will make some connections there.

One thing I forget to mention is your son can graduate from UOT engineering in 4 years. UW needs 5 years co-op. When he got 3 summer jobs, he doesn't need to go for PEY.
Mar 21, 2013
5 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry. I didn't answer your question directly. For EngSci, it is difficult to get HR people to understand. But for those engineers, it is widely known. In fact, my son told me his interviewers knew exactly what EngSci is. Both his friend and him will be working on computer / software related assignments.

As one of poster above mentioned, it is better to go directly to a core 8 program if your son knows what he want to be so that he will be more focused. EngSci is very challenging and busy. It's 6am to 12am daily, including weekends. That's the reason you don't see many engsci students in forum to depend their program:-)

A little trick is that your son should target jobs outside the his university job bulletin first. Those so-called co-op jobs are not so good because sometimes there are agreements between schools and employers. The employer know how to 'exploit' your son with the help of their school, Just google upaid internship or read the google book 'INTERN NATION' for details.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I know Mechatronics graduates who are working in various different industries, but the people I'm more familiar with are working in the US for software companies. If your son might ever consider going to the States to work for those companies, Mechatronics is by far the better choice. The program has quite a bit of programming related courses and you are free to choose electives (mech, ECE, or systems based mainly) in 4th year based on your interests.

Don't know anymore about EngSci than what other commenters have pointed out.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
mehsham wrote: Not to mention most of the workforce does not even have a slightest idea what EngSci is. This is comming from a student who graduated from EngSci few years ago.

[...]UofT Engineering (4years+1co-op) - So, 5 years of schooling gets you 1 year of coop
WHERE AS,
UWO Engineering (5 years) - get's you almost two year's worth of experience and not to mention you get to work for multiple companies.

I disagree with the above. First, I've found most people know and respect EngSci. Amoung engineers, everyone knows what it is. Amoung non-engineers, if they work in an engineering company, they know what it is.
As for the whole co-op vs. PEY debate. They are equal. Co-op is 4 or 5 4-month placements. PEY is 1 16-month placement (and 2 summers where most people work). Any experience is better than none, but there's no "better" in the whole PEY vs Co-op, it's just different.
zijin_cheng wrote: I have 2 friends who did engsci at UofT (so did my dad at Western) and they both said, don't do engsci if you're going to graduate and get a normal job, its useless, unless you want to do post graduate stuff. They also said that engsci teaches you to be a problem solver instead of just having you take courses in this and that.
Again, I disagree. Myself & others are well employed. Sure, it helps for a grad program to have a more intensive undergrad but it doesn't exclude you from jobs.
Anonymouse wrote: If the intention is to enter the job market after undergrad, I think most UofT EngSci grads would tell you that the effort/reward ratio is not favourable, and employers have little use for them compared to graduates from traditional disciplines. But it is an excellent foundation for graduate studies.
[...]
If EngSci is of interest, your son should consider Engineering Physics at Queen's, with a professional experience year after third year. Much better ugrad experience, and a higher-quality coop experience because it lasts 16 months.
Again, I disagree with the statement that the effort/reward isn't worth it. If someone's smart & ambitious, they would want to know more and that's reward enough. Job prospects are about equal compared to other programs.
And again, pointless debate between co-op & PEY.

Jon Lai wrote: You can get a job in any industry regardless of your degree..
Exactly.

OP, you get a lot of people complaining that EngSci is hard but if your kid is smart, he'll see it as a challenge. I know I did. I never wanted an easy path and knowing there was a bigger challenge out there and not going after it would have been so disappointing.
As for work - a P.Eng is a P.Eng. As the joke goes, what do you call the guy who graduated with the lowest average in 4th year? Engineer.
His career will be determined by his personality, his ability & his character. Marks & program help but not as much as people want to believe.
--
There is no happy ending