• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 8:21 pm
Mar 1, 2007
321 posts
264 upvotes
GTA

Enhanced screening for US-bound flights

As of today. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/0 ... ights.html

Question: does anybody know if the rule for the devices (all personal electronic devices larger than a smartphone will need to be easily accessible and have all cases and covers removed) applies to the NEXUS lanes as well?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Really curious how this will be enforced. The US government doesn't have a presence at Toronto Island Billy Bishop airport or Quebec City, for example. Even worse, most of the Canadian flights to Mexico and Cuba fly over some pretty major American cities. Not that many people in upstate Maine, but every flight to Quebec and Ontario from Atlantic Canada flies over the USA. All the flights to Europe from Toronto fly over the USA. Etc, etc...
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote: Really curious how this will be enforced. The US government doesn't have a presence at Toronto Island Billy Bishop airport or Quebec City, for example. Even worse, most of the Canadian flights to Mexico and Cuba fly over some pretty major American cities. Not that many people in upstate Maine, but every flight to Quebec and Ontario from Atlantic Canada flies over the USA. All the flights to Europe from Toronto fly over the USA. Etc, etc...
The story is for flights landing in the US.
Homeland security and border services do not have mid air check points for fly overs :facepalm:

The real question is, does this increase in security checks occur only for flights originating outside of the US or is there increased security within the US itself?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Violinist upset that CATSA 'attacked' her $10M violin at Pearson
http://www.cp24.com/news/violinist-upse ... -1.3510486
Chris Herhalt, CP24.com
Published Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:23PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:26PM EDT

The opening day of enhanced screening measures at Pearson Airport have been frustrating for the world-renowned owner of an antique violin said to be worth $10 million.

Ontario concert violinist Yi-Jia Susanne Hou says she arrived at Pearson for her flight to Brazil on Wednesday afternoon, carrying her “baby,” a 300-year-old wood violin which she does not put in checked baggage for obvious reasons.

Since the flight was scheduled to make a stop in Miami, Hou was told to go through the enhanced screening procedures launched today for all U.S.-bound passengers.
She told CP24 that as she entered the screening area, she asked Canadian Air Transport Security Authority staff if they could screen her in private, so that she could ensure her insured but likely irreplaceable violin would not be damaged. But she says the screeners ignored her.
“They basically attacked my violin before I had a chance to do anything about it.”

She called the experience “traumatic.”

“While I appreciate what security agents are doing to protect us, I do think it’s also incredibly important for us to protect our humanity.”

She said Wednesday’s experience is the first time she’s had trouble with taking her violin through airport security in 20 years.

While she said she was upset by the encounter, she did not say whether the violin was damaged.

Hou said she is considering filing a complaint with CATSA
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Pete_Coach wrote: The story is for flights landing in the US.
Homeland security and border services do not have mid air check points for fly overs :facepalm:

The real question is, does this increase in security checks occur only for flights originating outside of the US or is there increased security within the US itself?
That's a valid question. Just went through security in the US right now and it was painfully slow.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Keigotw wrote: Violinist upset that CATSA 'attacked' her $10M violin at Pearson

Did Homeland security do this?
Did US customs people do this?
Was this as a result of enhanced screening for a US bound flight?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
McKinsey wrote: That's a valid question. Just went through security in the US right now and it was painfully slow.
Heading within the US?
Heading to Canada or out of the US?
I have always found La Guardia and Newark terrible for security.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
I was in a US airport traveling within the US.

Not looking forward to next Monday where I will be heading into the us from YYZ. Earlier this week it took me close to 45 mins to clear customs, would suck to spend more time in security as well.

We need more privatized security (e.g. SFO).
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: Did Homeland security do this?
Did US customs people do this?
Was this as a result of enhanced screening for a US bound flight?
She is going from Canada to Brazil. But the plane will make a stop in Miami
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Sigh. Only more reasons to get Nexus.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
If the US agents started on time or earler it would ease the line-ups. When immigration opens at 4am there is already a massive line-up and there are like two there and the others just saunter over. Then they take tweny minutes to log in to the cpu.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1174 upvotes
GTA
There was no mention of removing the laptop cover at either YYZ nor at LGA. Maybe it was because we have Nexus and were in line for less than 5 Mins at each, but there was definitely nothing "extra" being done this weekend.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Mar 1, 2007
321 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
loriblum wrote: There was no mention of removing the laptop cover at either YYZ nor at LGA. Maybe it was because we have Nexus and were in line for less than 5 Mins at each, but there was definitely nothing "extra" being done this weekend.
Thank you! Finally one person has anything to say on the topic in the original post :)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
I went through US security and customs this evening at YYZ. It was no slower than usual. Maybe it was a one off, but they do have those new scanner where 4 ppl can load bins at the same time which helps. When I asked the CATSA folks at YOW they mentioned it was "hell", then again that airport is smaller and only have 2 lanes if I recall.