• Apr 8th, 2007 11:04 am
Tags:
None
Feb 19, 2005
217 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton

Enlarging a window

We are buying a house that has a window in the family room that we think it too small and would like to replace the window with a larger one. To do this, would involve breaking the exterior brick and replacing the current window with a larger one...

Does anyone have an experience with this? Any idea on how much something like this would cost?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
We are in somewhat of a same situation...we want to get rid of the current window and put up a 6' patio door to the garden...we got a really rough estimate that it would cost $2,500
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Is it legal to increase the size of the window? I think some city by-laws may not allow this to happen. A building permit may also be required.

I wanted to increase a kitchen window that faced my next-door neighbour. A City of Toronto inspector told me I could enlarge the window but I would have to seal up a smaller window.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
condorguy wrote: We are buying a house that has a window in the family room that we think it too small and would like to replace the window with a larger one. To do this, would involve breaking the exterior brick and replacing the current window with a larger one...

Does anyone have an experience with this? Any idea on how much something like this would cost?
You will definitely need a permit to do this as there are structural implications to do this. The most import thing is the Lental will have to be replaced. The lental is the metal beam that you will find above all windows or doors holding up the bricks above. Who so ever installs the window should know this and should know some good bricklayers out there to do the job!!!!!

sk
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
virgoan wrote: We are in somewhat of a same situation...we want to get rid of the current window and put up a 6' patio door to the garden...we got a really rough estimate that it would cost $2,500
Considering that the retail price of a patio door can be as low as $450, $2500 for the job seems a bit odd.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Considering that the retail price of a patio door can be as low as $450, $2500 for the job seems a bit odd.
$450 patio door is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cost me $2100 to put in a GENTEK 5ft patio door. Blew out the dinning room window and made it a patio door walkout.

Didnt bother with permits or anything,,,, installed right though.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
fireguy9 wrote: $450 patio door is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cost me $2100 to put in a GENTEK 5ft patio door. Blew out the dinning room window and made it a patio door walkout.
I did not say anything about quality, just about pricing...mellow out, geez. Who knows the quality of the door to be installed.
I paid much more for my door as well. I went shopping for a door then talked about the installation afterwards.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
we replaced a window with a patio door.
if you've got the know how (or know someone who does) it can be fairly reasonable.
we paid 650 for our 6 foot patio doors.
rented a concrete saw. did all the work ourselves. costs to do the actual job were under 50 bucks (plus the door) and a case or two of beer.
we went from this :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/d ... itchen.jpg

to this: (don't mind the patio swing on it's face, t'was a windy day :P)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/d ... liders.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2003
2882 posts
13 upvotes
Looks awesome!

BTW, what were the binoculars for?
dolphie wrote: we replaced a window with a patio door.
if you've got the know how (or know someone who does) it can be fairly reasonable.
we paid 650 for our 6 foot patio doors.
rented a concrete saw. did all the work ourselves. costs to do the actual job were under 50 bucks (plus the door) and a case or two of beer.
we went from this :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/d ... itchen.jpg

to this: (don't mind the patio swing on it's face, t'was a windy day :P)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/d ... liders.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
ha! i've never noticed them before!
that was actually a picture of when the previous owners lived there, (honest-notice the different fridge!) that the home inspector took.

It's a pretty busy street back there, so there's always lots to look at. Hopefully nothing they shouldn't have been looking at though!
Feb 19, 2005
217 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for all of the replies. Initially I thought that this would cost a fortune but it doesn't look like it anymore...

Anyone know of any reasonable windows guys? I am pretty handy (build our deck by myself) but I am too scared to do this by myself....
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Biggest thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't buy cheap product as you will pay for it in heatloss and down the road by the inferior products. Buy higher end patio doors etc

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)