• Oct 12th, 2017 11:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1442 posts
221 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:22 am
It sounded like you are an academic person.
Ever thought about going into teaching? If you are good with school, go get a PhD in something you like.

For me, I am bad in school. I hate to read all those things just to get one concept. Although I do a lot of reading on my own spare time, but I don't like school (don't know why). I guess I like to read things and apply them rather get tested on them, weird.
I am more of a practical guy that can learn new things quickly.

I remember back in school taking Advanced Financial Accounting. I hated that thing. Tried to pass the course with minimum studying. Fast forward 8 years, I actually read the latest Advanced Financial Accounting text book from cover to cover because my job demands it. However, I am sure I will fail on a test if I was tested on the materials. Academia likes to make simple things hard.
hockeyfan1990 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:19 am
I agree with people, if you are an academic person, I would go into a more concentrated/specialized field like medicine or engineering over accounting. You'll make a lot more money that way. What about law?
I was thinking of finding a research related position while completing my MBA-that way I can potentially bridge into a PhD program in another 2 years. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start looking for such a position. Any ideas? Fields like medicine and engineering would've worked out better if I was a bit younger but I like to use what I have and move up rather start over.
Dec 17, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 7:20 pm
I love the problem aspect of accounting but it is hard to find a job. Every career/ position have things one isn't fond of doing. It is about the over all aspect.

Reading your posts is so depressing. Sure, the field is saturated, but so is every other industry. Rather than blaming the accounting industry, try putting some of the blame on yourself for not being a candidate the firms are not looking for.

Have some respect for yourself
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1850 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
kenvin100 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:42 pm
I was thinking of finding a research related position while completing my MBA-that way I can potentially bridge into a PhD program in another 2 years. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start looking for such a position. Any ideas? Fields like medicine and engineering would've worked out better if I was a bit younger but I like to use what I have and move up rather start over.
You can get a PhD in accounting. What is your undergrad major?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1850 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
LongHairDontCare wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 7:12 pm
Reading your posts is so depressing. Sure, the field is saturated, but so is every other industry. Rather than blaming the accounting industry, try putting some of the blame on yourself for not being a candidate the firms are not looking for.

Have some respect for yourself
Its a good thing I am not trying to work in public accounting. When does saying its hard to get the job means that I am disrespecting myself? If you have a reasonable job opportunity for me, I am all ears.
Jan 18, 2017
52 posts
28 upvotes
There are lots out there. The thing is you have to leave GTA.
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 7:51 pm
Its a good thing I am not trying to work in public accounting. When does saying its hard to get the job means that I am disrespecting myself? If you have a reasonable job opportunity for me, I am all ears.
______
Canadian & US tax guy
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1850 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
crossborderguy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:43 pm
There are lots out there. The thing is you have to leave GTA.
I have looked outside and many want you to move first before talking to you. If you do talk to them they give the job to a local. The accounting market in Canada, generally is saturated.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1442 posts
221 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 7:44 pm
You can get a PhD in accounting. What is your undergrad major?
I got my undergrad in general commerce and currently pursuing my MBA. Based on the conversation, I'm def reconsidering my options with respect to accounting and thinking about finding a means to pursue academic research while completing my Masters. Also open to any ideas considering my current studies-appreciate the constructive criticism.
Jul 23, 2015
44 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:51 pm
I have looked outside and many want you to move first before talking to you. If you do talk to them they give the job to a local. The accounting market in Canada, generally is saturated.
I don't get why the only thing you ever comment is "accounting is saturated". Like that is literally all you post. Competition is part of life, I'm sure everyone knows that already.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1850 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
xxxyyy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 7:39 pm
I don't get why the only thing you ever comment is "accounting is saturated". Like that is literally all you post. Competition is part of life, I'm sure everyone knows that already.
You would be surprise on how many don't know this until they graduate and out in the work force. Plus there are the CPA ads which lie about the state of the market and the view of accountants. There is a difference between competitive and saturated. Or because it is saturated the field is highly competitive.

I have made more comments than "accounting is saturated" like mentioning that one can pursue a PhD in the field to teach and do research. Did told OP to find what s/he like to do plus look for career guides to help find an area of interest.
Last edited by raichu1 on Oct 11th, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 17, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:13 pm
You would be surprise on how many don't know this until they graduate and out in the work force. Plus there are the CPA ads which lie about the state of the market and the view of accountants. There is a difference between competitive and saturated.

I have made more comments than "accounting is saturated" like mentioning that one can pursue a PhD in the field to teach and do research. Did told OP to find what s/he like to do plus look for career guides to help find an area of interest.
From my graduating class, the only ones that didn’t get a job in public (mid sized and big 4) or in industry accounting (as an analyst/financial analyst) were the antisocial awkward weirdos and the ones with like 2.5 GPA. The ones that did get the job did it through networking, or got some sort of internship (themselves) which led to a full-time offer.

Grow up. Accounting isn’t saturated, its competitive. If you expect for a degree to give you a cushy job straight out of university, then you didnt do your research when choosing your degree
May 24, 2007
435 posts
110 upvotes
Imho and experience in the west coast... accounting is actually great. First job was painful but after that should be smooth sailing. Consistent raise every year, new/challenging job duties and mgmt skills development 2 years into your career (public practice) Where else can you get that?

Lots of ppl get put off by the negative posts which is sad. I think accounting is still a pretty good option for students.
Sep 14, 2012
264 posts
66 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Let's just say that yes, accounting is competitive, but at this point in time is there a better option includes all of the below:
a) doesn't require masters/PhD (so bye-bye math, stats, econ)
b) is a desk job in an air-conditioned office (so bye-bye medical field)
c) almost anyone with a brain can do it (so bye-bye engineering and CS)
d) pays relatively high after some experience (so bye-bye HR, marketing, other back office functions)

Ignoring what the CPA Canada advertises (you should be doing your own research anyways), accounting is still better off than other professions in terms of meeting the four above criteria.
Last edited by Sneakymist on Oct 12th, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 5, 2017
102 posts
20 upvotes
I agree... And i don't believe it's saturated, you just have to fit in (decent school, decent grades, show an interest, network etc..)
Generally speaking what is wrong with the CPA advertising ? High unrealistic salaries ? Some CPA's are bankers, or working in asset management or PE, so i'm not surprised with the numbers there
Dec 24, 2007
92 posts
35 upvotes
BC
I agree with the above comments...what do you meant by "saturated"? Do you mean "anyone graduating will be snapped up including those with C marks" then, yes it is saturated. Just getting a degree will not get you anywhere unless an employer can see the potential. if you can't even demonstrate dedication in your chosen field by getting good grades, forget it. I get notification of all sorts of accounting job postings on LinkedIn for Vancouver all the time so the market for accountants is alive and well. You're probably not looking in the right places.

As for accounting as a career, it can lead to many other options like auditing, tax, financial management, and valuations other than just sticking with debits and credits.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1850 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
Sneakymist wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:21 pm
Let's just say that yes, accounting is competitive, but at this point in time is there a better option includes all of the below:
a) doesn't require masters/PhD (so bye-bye math, stats, econ)
b) is a desk job in an air-conditioned office (so bye-bye medical field)
c) almost anyone with a brain can do it (so bye-bye engineering and CS)
d) pays relatively high after some experience (so bye-bye HR, marketing, other back office functions)

Ignoring what the CPA Canada advertises (you should be doing your own research anyways), accounting is still better off than other professions in terms of meeting the four above criteria.
Hence why many people go into the field leading to a surplus of supply that is greater than demand. Which means the field gets very competitive and saturated.
Last edited by raichu1 on Oct 12th, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.