Travel

Entering the USA via land with arrest record but no conviction..

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2009 8:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 11, 2008
598 posts
Toronto

Entering the USA via land with arrest record but no conviction..

I am wondering if one can enter the USA via land with previous police arrest but no criminal conviction? Will there be any troubles crossing the border at Niagara falls?
8 replies
Jul 5, 2004
21636 posts
1722 upvotes
How long ago was it? What was the charge for? To be honest, it's probably going to be an issue and depending on what it was for and how long ago, they may deny you entry altogether.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Dec 13, 2005
222 posts
Waterloo
How could the fact that you got thrown in jail for a night (I'm assuming it's something minor like this?) have gotten to the US customs people? and before someone says it, I'm pretty sure "have you even been arrested?" is not a standard question asked as you're driving through as long as you don't look psycho or something
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6563 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
What's the charge?

I know a guy who had a DUI, assaulting a peace officer and assault. Never had a problem UNTIL, he has charged with possesion of a controled substance. Now he's been told that he'll be arrested if he attempts to enter the US again in the next 5 years.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Jul 5, 2004
21636 posts
1722 upvotes
peterk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2009 6:19 pm
How could the fact that you got thrown in jail for a night (I'm assuming it's something minor like this?) have gotten to the US customs people? and before someone says it, I'm pretty sure "have you even been arrested?" is not a standard question asked as you're driving through as long as you don't look psycho or something
The last few times I've crossed the border me and all the occupants of the car were asked if we had ever been arrested or charged, and none of us look psycho.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Banned
Jun 11, 2008
598 posts
Toronto
cwb27 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2009 7:10 pm
What's the charge?

I know a guy who had a DUI, assaulting a peace officer and assault. Never had a problem UNTIL, he has charged with possesion of a controled substance. Now he's been told that he'll be arrested if he attempts to enter the US again in the next 5 years.
The charges are possessing and uttering forged documents which is in fact an expired driver's licences with an pic that doesn't look like me. Was charged in March 2006 and went to court several times by myself until during the sixth appearance my name wasn't called and the court clerk said the court lost my file and never heard anything from them since. All charges are summary offences. I even had criminal record checks done for employment and nothing showed up.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
29 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Apr 19th, 2009 7:31 pm
The last few times I've crossed the border me and all the occupants of the car were asked if we had ever been arrested or charged, and none of us look psycho.
It's also a question asked of foreign nationals trying to enter Canada, but that doesn't help this thread.

At any rate, lying to an immigration official is usually grounds for at minimum denied entry for most countries.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
[OP]
Banned
Jun 11, 2008
598 posts
Toronto
So should i answer yes or no? I doubt they can find anything in CPIC since I have done 3 criminal record checks after the incident and nothing showed up?
Jan 19, 2005
132 posts
You will be fine dude as long as it did not show up on CPIC you are just fine, trust me I know. I went threw sort of the same thing recently
× < >