• Oct 6th, 2010 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2007
510 posts
166 upvotes
Edmonton

Entertainment Book Issues...

Ordered and received one of those "discounted" Entertainment book a couple months ago; stopped by the Quiznos near my office, showed the clerk the coupon and he immediately said, that is not accepted here, "see, our location is not listed behind the coupon". Okay, I can live with that... my bad for not reading the small prints. So only 2 locations in the Edmonton area listed. Last week, happens to be near one of the listed locations at lunch time, dropped by and big sign on the door, "We do not accept any Entertainment Book or Student Union Book coupons, these coupons have not been authorized by Quiznos". Double checked the address, yup, it is one of the two listed on the coupon. Oh well, I preferred MacDonald's anyway.

Three weeks ago, stop by a local Chinese food restaurant in the northside for after work drink / early dinner with a colleague, show the waitress the coupon, she said, "let me check with manager", manager came back and said, that was a 2009 coupon, we stopped accepting them. I showed her the expiry date on the coupon and she said, it is a misprint, we are not offering any 2010 discounts. Probably because I was making a little bit of a fuzz over it, she honored the coupon and gave us one dish free, she immediately photocopied the coupon and posted the copy as a sign on the door. On our way out, we read it, "Due to counterfeits, we no longer accept Entertainment Book coupons."

Fast forward to yesterday, went to Arby's, the clerk looked at the coupon and said, these are good at Medicine Hat locations only. Sure enough, small prints on the back says Medicine Hat locations only. Medcine Hat is a good 5 hours drive from Edmonton, why would they put Medicine Hat coupons in an Edmonton Entertainment book (and not in the out-of-town section)?

After those incidents, I went through and pulled out what I think I can actually use from the book, unlike in prior years, there are very very few coupons from popular places within Edmonton. In additions, a large percentage of the coupons are from surrounding communities, some hours away from Edmonton. I can understand putting some of those in the out-of-town section for when you are on vacation. Putting them in the local dining section seems out-of-place. Not sure if this is only happening in Edmonton of not. I still have an old book behind and the new one is about 2/3 the thickness of the old 2007 version so I am guessing the overall number of coupons also dropped.
11 replies
Aug 25, 2007
904 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
It's wonderful that you share with us here on RFD but you need to complain to Entertainment as well. If they don't hear the complaints they'll assume that everyone is happy and make no effort to improve the book for next year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6107 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
In the past I've had issues using Ent coupons in some restaurants that will remain nameless. I usually don't make a big fuss, the refusal of the voucher leads to not tipping well or all and let the manager know they are violating an arrangement with Ent Book, Ive gone as fara as bring the book to show them thier coupon in it.

It surprises me how many managers are oblivious to these coupons and are so quick to refuse them.

I also contact Ent Book and give foodback and let them know I won't be renewing my subscription to see what they'll do. In the past I've got additional coupons, and reduced renewal rates.

Good Luck!
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2409 posts
190 upvotes
Alberta
The Entertainment Book sucks. I buy a couple of the STUP Coupon Books that my kids bring home from school for $20 is way better. Never had a problem with any coupon I have used yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
Really .. . who needs to pay for coupons since the internet came along?

Most of the sales of the book derive from people wanting to appear charitable/generous when their friends or neighbour's kids are selling them to raise money for this-thing-or-that. If they were sold through conventional retail channels like newstands, the company would have folded years ago.

I am even more amazed that restaurants still sign up to be in Entertainment. Friend who owns a restaurant in Calgary tried it for one year back in the 90s and just hated the clientele the coupons brought in. He was, ultimately, better off without their business. Maybe that's why these days they need to pad the local section of the Edmonton book with fast-food joints in Medicine Hat.
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self."
- Aristotle
Sep 28, 2009
90 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Wingding wrote:
Sep 24th, 2010 4:00 am

Most of the sales of the book derive from people wanting to appear charitable/generous when their friends or neighbour's kids are selling them to raise money for this-thing-or-that. If they were sold through conventional retail channels like newstands, the company would have folded years ago.

I am even more amazed that restaurants still sign up to be in Entertainment. Friend who owns a restaurant in Calgary tried it for one year back in the 90s and just hated the clientele the coupons brought in. He was, ultimately, better off without their business. Maybe that's why these days they need to pad the local section of the Edmonton book with fast-food joints in Medicine Hat.

The restaurant needs to be thinking long term though. I may go into the restaurant and get the best bang for my buck and order 2 $15 meals on a B1G1 up to $15 coupon and not order any drinks. Sure the restaurant could lose money this time but what if I like the place and return and pay full price on subsequent visits? I may also tell others who will go and eat there too.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
510 posts
166 upvotes
Edmonton
I have successfuly used some of the coupons with no issue whatsoever. However, based on the sign at Quiznos and the Chinese restaurant I visited, I can't help but wonder if some of the coupons may have been included in the book without the consent of the restaurants.

I don't have a subscription to the Entertainment book so I only buy them later in the year when they are on sale, you see the price reduction notices through the year here on SFD as well. I will probably stop buying even if they are on sale. I lol'd when I visited A&W for an Uncle Burger which is on sale for $3 each but becuase I am using a coupon 2for1 Uncle Burgers, the clerk rang it in at full price of $5 something so I saved like $0.25 with that coupon. When the clerk saw my look, she sheepishly said, they were told by A&W, if coupons are used, everything is at regular price.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2409 posts
190 upvotes
Alberta
Wingding wrote:
Sep 24th, 2010 4:00 am

I just buy the STUP Coupon book from my kids school for their fund raiser every year.
Aug 25, 2007
904 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
One way to solve the issue of the restaurant no longer taking the coupon is to call ahead & ask. That's what we usually do.
Aug 17, 2009
541 posts
34 upvotes
+1
never hurts to confirm with a call ahead
i've never had issues with the entertainment book coupons. i suppose since ottawa isn't as big, all the locations i've tried using them on have honoured the coupons. YMMV
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1820 posts
120 upvotes
Never had an issue in the Toronto area or using the car rental coupons in LA and Las Vegas.........
Aug 16, 2006
214 posts
57 upvotes
Coquitlam
Sounds like you ran into a bad streak with the specific places you tried to use them at, or maybe it's an Edmonton book thing, I dunno ...
But in general, I have the Vancouver books for a few years and had no problems at all.
Now, if you try to use online printed coupons from them, then that's a diff story (but they are still legit).

However, I've heard of the cases where they are misprints. And for actual examples, there's restaurants printed in the book that have actually been closed since like the previous year. I can see that EB might have communication and update/accuracy problems with which restaurants/store is actually participating. And once they print it ... it obviously can't be fixed for the year.

For people that does get the book, we know that it usually more than pays for itself after a few visits.

And for Wingding's comment: I have the opposite opinion, I don't get why this is not more popular, as just look at how popular Groupon is and it's just an internet version of EB.

Now, here's a question for you guys: how does the deal with EB work? Do the stores pay EB or does EB pay the stores? or neither and they just have an agreement. Because each side has both cost and benefits from the coupons.
× < >