Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2189 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary

Entry level Programmer Salary **UPDATE**

I'm a new graduate in computer science and I was wondering what is a fair salary for a computer programmer?

kaddy69
MY HEATWARE - Available upon request
MY EBAY - Available upon request
100 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
I would guess between $40k - $50k for a BSc grad and less for a college grad.
Oct 21, 2004
543 posts
94 upvotes
JustMike wrote:I would guess between $40k - $50k for a BSc grad and less for a college grad.
pretty much on the money for most Canadian companies. Microsoft, Sun, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=17]Amazon[/rfdlink] etc pay almost 1.5-2 times that but then again you have to fit their standards as well. Most of my buddies are making around high forties to low fifties mark doing some form of programming.

kaddy69, you should ask your career resource dept as well. earlier this year when we were applying for jobs, we pretty much knew the salaries or at least the range offered by most companies. so should you. if not, make an effort to find out. will make the process much smoother for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2189 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
I do have a job offer in Calgary, but I do not know the salary that I will getting yet. I just wanted an idea. I'm hoping it's at least over $40,000!

kaddy69
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
If they are giving you a job OFFER, then ask them, negotiate if you have to.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
A formal job offer has to include the salary amount.
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
I'm currently at about 47k if I were to extrapolate my wage. I will be receiving an offer in the next week or so, so I should be able to give you a better figure. From the research I've done though, the salary spectrum is pretty broad. I know a few new grads that are pulling in only 35k or so a year, but 40-60k should be what is expected.

salary.monster.ca has some comprehensive information that might help. BTW, which company will you be at in Calgary?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1361 posts
117 upvotes
It really depends on your skill level but it's about low 40's now... if you're one of the bunch that don't shine above the rest. It's really hard for a lot of people fresh out of university to find a programming job these days.

And that is correct, if it is a formal job offer, they would state what your salary is going to be and terms of employment (i.e. vacation time, probation duration, background check requirement, credit check, etc).
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2189 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
Well my offer is approx 40,000. Does this seem fair?

I'm hoping to be a project manager sometime down the road!

kaddy69
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
depends on what kind of progamming and language.

gov pays about 42k to start. If you're very very good and specialized, you can start at 54k. It depends on the position that is open and the requirements for that position.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
1014 posts
1 upvote
AB
Lets see..

Some PhD in India is willing to code for say.. $2/hour..
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo
im thinking about going in to computer sciences....

would u recommend it?
:arrow: :arrowl:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
kaddy69 wrote:Well my offer is approx 40,000. Does this seem fair?

kaddy69

40K may be low for Toronto, vancouver, etc...

But it is not low for Alberta.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2003
1769 posts
4 upvotes
Seattle
kaddy69 wrote:I'm a new graduate in computer science and I was wondering what is a fair salary for a computer programmer?

kaddy69
i say around 60k....anything below 60k, you are getting short changed.....
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2329 upvotes
Singapore
j3fan wrote:i say around 60k....anything below 60k, you are getting short changed.....
I think everyone should look to you for inspiration. You're definitely one successful person.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
yeah, help us out and share your wealth!! :cheesygri
Feb 3, 2005
408 posts
1 upvote
kaddy69 wrote:Well my offer is approx 40,000. Does this seem fair?

kaddy69
If this is the 1st offer, you should counter-offer. Aside from salary, you need to consider if it's a good company, good people, is there room for growth, etc..
Feb 2, 2003
843 posts
1 upvote
It seems ok if you look at the career journal link, its on the low end but you have no experience so it kinda fits, what are the other benefits, bonus etc?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)