• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 7:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3820 posts
66 upvotes

Environmental Fee

I usually do all my electronic shopping online for years now. Went out black friday and boxing day to pick up some deals at Bestbuy and Walmart and was really surprised by all the enviro fees on most items I bought.
$4 enviro fee on a dashcam worth $49! Then there is of course the tax on top.

I remember years ago Canadian Tire had the enviro fee on every item you buy but they did away with it after much backlash. So i thought this was quietly phased out, leaving it just on big screen tv's.

How is this not hurting Ontario businesses? Does it influence your purchase decisions?
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
1944 posts
1797 upvotes
Quebec
The worst is the fees for TVs,based on the size. So you can get 45$ fees on a 250$ TV if it's a cheap one
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3594 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
Enviromental fees have been on electronics and electronic components for years. It never stopped anyone from buying any less.
Jun 21, 2016
245 posts
52 upvotes
I don't know about ON, but here in BC the fees are mandatory by the province, so retailers have no choice but to charge them. For most items the fee is small and not going to sway a decision to buy or not buy, but I might buy a smaller TV since the TV fees are the highest.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1108 posts
180 upvotes
JustinL733617 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 11:12 pm
I don't know about ON, but here in BC the fees are mandatory by the province, so retailers have no choice but to charge them. For most items the fee is small and not going to sway a decision to buy or not buy, but I might buy a smaller TV since the TV fees are the highest.
I heard that Amazon.ca does not charge environmental fees. Can anyone confirm?
Sep 22, 2009
598 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Just another useless tax courtesy of our nanny state premier. Keep voting these crooks into office and act surprised when they rob you.

I'm guess $0 of the fees collected actually goes to anything recycling related. Just more $ for premier chump to pi$$ away.
Jun 21, 2016
245 posts
52 upvotes
They do if the item is being shipped to a location that requires the fees. I just did a mock order for a TV, and the $19 environmental fee is added to the total, but they list is as a regulatory fee. I am in BC so was using a BC address.

minimalist wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 2:37 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
3850 posts
1010 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 2:37 pm
They do, just try to purchase TV and go all the way to checkout. You will see the charge there.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2414 posts
850 upvotes
The Canadian Government doesn't want to charge us more taxes so they just call them fees instead.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18928 posts
2508 upvotes
Poormond Hill
There was a guy in walmart that had just enough money to buy two TVs that was on sale on Boxing Day. After the cashier rang him up, he was surprised to see the total and asked why so much. She told him you have to pay the environmental fee. Since he didn't have enough to pay for both TVs, he had to leave one behind. This made another person happy as they wanted one.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Dec 14, 2011
27 posts
3 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I bought a 2TB WD External HDD ($99) at Staples earlier today. I did not see any environmental fee on the receipt.
Same thing happened last month, bought a Asus RT-AC68U ($219) router from the same staples (again, no environmental fee added).
Sounds like Staples got rid of the fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1212 posts
421 upvotes
North York, ON
The environmental handling charges on consumer electronics and tires — from 7 cents on mobile phones to $39.50 on big TVs — will be phased out under the Waste-Free Ontario Act passed Wednesday.
The Toronto Star has a news story about it.
May 28, 2012
9388 posts
1754 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't know about any other province but here, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how much to charge for what product (amongst the various retailers). I was charged $3.50 enviro fee on a $10 clock radio and another time I bought the exact same model and was charged significantly less. One was from RCSS and the other was from Extra Foods (owned by same company).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11051 posts
1496 upvotes
Toronto
Best buy (in store) is willing to reduce the sticker price on a TV by the Enviro fee rate if and only if you agree to buy their in store insurance.
Hey? Something has to pay for it, right? lol
(clearance TV's get an even deeper discount also.)
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1889 posts
87 upvotes
In Ontario if this Environmental Fee is truly for the "environment" then why is the government benefiting by charging 13% tax on it?