• Mar 22nd, 2017 7:23 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10076 posts
1259 upvotes
Toronto
tsatsa wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 7:18 am
In Ontario if this Environmental Fee is truly for the "environment" then why is the government benefiting by charging 13% tax on it?
An excellent point well made.
Jan 29, 2017
71 posts
24 upvotes
Part of Canadian love for taxation culture. Politician and businesses know and exploit it. Eco fees, carbon tax, grocery bag fees, hst...all the same scams.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1057 posts
89 upvotes
peli33 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:24 am
Part of Canadian love for taxation culture. Politician and businesses know and exploit it. Eco fees, carbon tax, grocery bag fees, hst...all the same scams.
Yup, add to it the idiot tax...

Dec 16, 2015
339 posts
81 upvotes
What most people don't know is this environmental fee goes straight to a private company, Ontario stewardship!! They lobbied and perhaps bribed gov't officials to make this into law and profit 100% from it.

Time to abolish this!!
Jan 9, 2011
347 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
These enviro and recycling "fees" aren't really taxes or fees. They have to do with government regulations regarding recycling, that retailers are required to follow. Government has regulations regarding all sorts of things that add costs to products (i.e. labour and employment standards), but all of those costs are of course simply included in the price. Retailers can (and should) be including the cost of following recycling and enviro regulations into the prices, just like they include the cost of every other regulation they must follow. But they have figured out that by charging them separately, they make it look like a tax, and the result is people complain to the government about them instead of to the retailer. This is also why you'll see different fees charged by different companies for the same products. They are all retailer "fees" designed to fool you into thinking they are government fees or taxes. That's why they are taxable—the costs following all other regulations, which they have built into the prices, are all taxed.

Retailers wouldn't be able to get away with ringing in separate charges for the cost of following other regulations like labour, fire safety, building inspectors, health inspection, etc etc. Nobody would be fooled by that. But separating out the cost of following environmental regulations to make it look like a tax really was a brilliant move by the retail community that seems to have hoodwinked almost everybody.
May 22, 2016
398 posts
43 upvotes
Ontario
Its a giant scam. For the fee you have to take your item to a depot where they then make more money by stripping down the item and selling it.
Mar 11, 2017
33 posts
7 upvotes
just wait till the GTA starts doing the falls thing and charging a "destination fee". some places were saying it's a mandatory fee you MUST pay and others would remove it if you caught it before swiping or dropping cash. if you live in the falls most places will remove it if you show proof... others will still charge it saying it's mandatory. just threaten to dine and dash if it's not removed... trust me, it gets things adjusted in a heart beat. either they lose out on scamming shoppers for 8%-10% on the fee or the complete cost of the meal. marketplace just proved it's NOT a fee regulated by any form of government and simply a cash grab lie made up by local businesses... if you bitch enough and make a scene they will remove it.

boston pizza on clifton hill tried this BS on us just last week. i'm like umm what's this charge here it's not clearly stated what it is... she said a tourist tax to help with the funding of the fireworks and other stuff like the xmas lights show and horticulture. i pull out my wallet and show my licence and say i'm not a tourist so please remove it. she says she can't i say go get your manager. he comes over and is like what's the problem. talking a bit louder i say the issue seems to be this FEE you are charging me that i'm not paying. it's not a tax, it's not a mandated fee it's just some made up money grab that i refuse to pay and want it removed. a couple sitting one kiosk over and down asks as well about a fee above the taxes and tip. that's when another family got up and left before ordering. i said yes, it's a non-mandated supposed fee that they try to charge, they are supposed to remove it if you ask them to if you catch it. but it seems this business is refusing to do so. so i said please remove it or i'm simply going to leave... i'm not going to pay for something i don't have to and if it means not paying for my meal then so be it. i also said i would be leaving feedback on yelp and google + warning other diners of this scam and to stay clear. the manager informed our waitress to adjust the bill, yet didn't apologize for anything. and the waitress was also not rude, but short in a way when she returned with the adjusted bill (just dropped the folder with our bill on the table instead of handing it to me) so i only paid her 3% on the tip portion instead of the normal 15%.

if you bought a new car and when paying and signing papers the salesman says... oh and sign here, this is to say you are ok with paying the $100 "drive off the lot" fee. wold you not say umm no, i'm not going to pay a damn fee like that... and they say yes, it's to help keep our lot clean and the cars washed to look enticing to potential buyers and supply us with a coffee machine and cups for just us and not the customer. would you still be open to paying it ? i bet you wouldn't.... this tourist tax/fee is exactly the same thing.

and before someone jumps in here about how i was laughing about the rounding up thing in another post... once again it's a totally different thing. if they are simply rounding up on my actual bill then that's fine. but to add extra that they are not entitled to and lie about it being a mandated or government legislated thing that's a whole other thing and flat out stealing... this isn't a few cents or even 25 cents.... it's dollars (up to $20 extra on a hotel stay). do your homework and look up which businesses pull this stunt and stop going there. it will either make them stop using the fee or put them out of business.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7414 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:05 pm
These enviro and recycling "fees" aren't really taxes or fees. They have to do with government regulations regarding recycling, that retailers are required to follow. Government has regulations regarding all sorts of things that add costs to products (i.e. labour and employment standards), but all of those costs are of course simply included in the price. Retailers can (and should) be including the cost of following recycling and enviro regulations into the prices, just like they include the cost of every other regulation they must follow. But they have figured out that by charging them separately, they make it look like a tax, and the result is people complain to the government about them instead of to the retailer. This is also why you'll see different fees charged by different companies for the same products. They are all retailer "fees" designed to fool you into thinking they are government fees or taxes. That's why they are taxable—the costs following all other regulations, which they have built into the prices, are all taxed.

Retailers wouldn't be able to get away with ringing in separate charges for the cost of following other regulations like labour, fire safety, building inspectors, health inspection, etc etc. Nobody would be fooled by that. But separating out the cost of following environmental regulations to make it look like a tax really was a brilliant move by the retail community that seems to have hoodwinked almost everybody.
Huh? Doesn't all the money raised from the fees go straight to the government?
Mar 21, 2017
2 posts
When will people learn educate themselves before presenting false statements about things that they don't like? It's your right as citizens to complain, but please inform yourself first. To no surprise, 95% of the comments contain incorrect information because it's easier to spew nonsense than to conduct your own research. In case you were wondering, no I do not work for government, environmental fee agency, etc. If you genuinely interested in understanding these programs, I'd be more than happy to respond to your questions. Some things to consider:

- These are provincially legislated programs, not federal and pre-date Wynne in Ontario.
- They are not administered by government.
- No fees go to government. The fees are use to fund recycling of the products.
- Tax on the fee is regulated by CRA. The tax implications vary by province, but considering it's an environmental "Fee for Service" (i.e. recycling of goods), tax is applicable at the point of sale.
- In most provinces, retailers may choose to build the fee into the price or show the fee on the receipt.
- Fee vary by province because the cost to recycle them differ by region.
- Sometimes products sold by retailers are assigned the incorrect or no environmental fee. Retailers with tens of thousands of products may from time-to-time classify one or two environmental fees incorrectly.
- The tire stewardship program experience criminal actions by their staff. This should not reflect poorly on the program itself as it could happen to any business. Proper oversight/checks and balances of the program actually identified the criminal activity so that's actually a good thing. This does not make it a scam.
Jan 9, 2011
347 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
appleb wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:20 pm
Huh? Doesn't all the money raised from the fees go straight to the government?
Hahaha, no. Not at all. Like I said it's not a tax nor a "fee". It was a brilliant move by retailers, to separate out the cost of following environmental regulations and list it separately on the receipt. That makes it look like a tax and it gets people thinking that the money goes to the government, which it doesn't. Most of the "fees" will be passed on to Stewardship Ontario, which is not a government organization, rather a front group set up by industry to look like one. Industry pays Stewardship Ontario to handle their environmental regulations on their behalf.

The whole thing is an attempt by industry to pull the wool over our eyes and make their "fees" look like taxes, and it seems to have succeeded like a charm.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel