Off Topic Archive

Locked: Environmental Handling Fee - WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2011 9:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2126 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto

Environmental Handling Fee - WTF?

I was about to buy a monitor from Bestbuy today and saw this at the checkout process. The monitor was around $200 and I was charged $15 dollar for Environmental Handling fee.

Since when did this practice come to be? I was never charged this fee when I buy any electronics/computers/tv from Futureshop or Bestbuy.

Anyone else got charged with environmental handling fee lately?

More information on EHF from Bestbuy:
Why am I charged an environmental handling fee?

Environmental Handling Fees
Your BestBuy.ca purchase may include an environmental handling fee as required by your Provincial Government. Used to support provincial recycling and disposal programs, environmental handling fees are collected on products such as metal, glasses, and plastics that can be recycled into other products. Handling Fees are also collected on products that may contain substances that are hazardous to the environment.

We charge environmental handling fees on items that are shipped to, delivered to or picked up in provinces or territories where we are required to do so. The handling fee amount reflects the applicable rate. You'll see the handling fee amount during the checkout process.

Returns
If you return an item for which you were charged an environment handling fee, the amount of the handling fee will be refunded. Please refer to your packing slip or our return policy for more details on returning items.

Need more information?
Visit your Provincial Government websites for more information on the specific environmental programs they provide.
Sai Kit Chu Photography
Toronto Wedding Photographer
Share:
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
Costco and Wal-Mart have it too. It goes for electronic accessories as well. :o
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9160 posts
226 upvotes
Brampton
When I buy motor oil at crappy tire they charge me a "eco fee." Its stupid cause they won't even take my used oil for recycling anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2126 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
I buy electronics from FS and BB all the time and never got charge by this fee before.

That's why I am so surprised.
Sai Kit Chu Photography
Toronto Wedding Photographer
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2560 posts
25 upvotes
not another one of these enviro fee bitching threads.

You're about 3 months late to the party.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2006
6014 posts
9 upvotes
Did anyone here actually think that all of the environmental picketing over the last 20 years wouldn't turn into a means of taxation?

BS activism + government action = excess taxation and more gov't waste(gov't jobs)
"When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." -- Ayn Rand

Every facet, every deposit of your mind is to be programmed by you; and unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2002
1877 posts
23 upvotes
Belleville
It came into effect April 1, 2009 in Ontario... Phase 2 is coming soon, more products will be included (telephones, copiers and audio visual equipment)
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15580 posts
507 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Bskll wrote:
Jul 21st, 2009 8:25 pm
not another one of these enviro fee bitching threads.

You're about 3 months late to the party.
+1, nothing new here. just nothin but promises of life, death & taxes.
PC IS MASTER RACE!
( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
VAPE NATION \//\
May 31, 2005
478 posts
27 upvotes
it's mr mcguinty's invention. he copied BC.
I think it started at the beginning of this year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I noticed this fee when I got a netbook recently.

I'm surprised that it hardly got any media attention, as after all it's a new tax. I just found out on RFD a month or two ago.

If this is actually used for environmental initiatives, it would be alright, but I'm skeptical.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3388 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
The spirit of this environmental levy is to fund more local recycling collection facilities, so it will be easier for people to bring in their old electronics. I'll believe it only when I actually see a new facility in my neighbourhood though.

Speaking of which, recycling facilities in Peel Region are terrible. There is one in Caledon, one in Brampton, and only two in Mississauga (where one is in the north west corner of the city, and the other to the east; none close to the centre of the city)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37795 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond Hill
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2009 9:52 pm
The spirit of this environmental levy is to fund more local recycling collection facilities, so it will be easier for people to bring in their old electronics. I'll believe it only when I actually see a new facility in my neighbourhood though.

Speaking of which, recycling facilities in Peel Region are terrible. There is one in Caledon, one in Brampton, and only two in Mississauga (where one is in the north west corner of the city, and the other to the east; none close to the centre of the city)
They're supposed to make recycling free, whereas right now you have to pay a "drop off" free equivalent to the levy. I've visited the dump once since April 1st and indeed, I didn't have to pay anything to drop off my own electronics. So I'm not skeptical about this at all. I think it's probably one of the few things McGuinty did properly.

OP - get with the program. Don't read news much?

OT - The explanation on BB's website quoted by OP is actually pretty well explained. I don't know why anyone would have trouble understanding.
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 21st, 2009 10:41 pm
They're supposed to make recycling free, whereas right now you have to pay a "drop off" free equivalent to the levy. I've visited the dump once since April 1st and indeed, I didn't have to pay anything to drop off my own electronics. So I'm not skeptical about this at all. I think it's probably one of the few things McGuinty did properly.

OP - get with the program. Don't read news much?

OT - The explanation on BB's website quoted by OP is actually pretty well explained. I don't know why anyone would have trouble understanding.
Do you live in Markham, Jon? As far as I know it was always free to bring your electronics and comptuers to the recycling depot, even before April 1. But of course this can depend on the city.

I hardly noticed this until I read that someone complain in the forum, and I read the newspaper every day. I don't think it got much media coverage.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2955 posts
994 upvotes
Paris
Disposed electronics are dangerous to the environment and should be disposed of properly. If the tax helps fund that, then it's all good.

It's a consumption tax. You're under no obligation to have to pay it, if you don't buy the product.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
× < >