Expired Hot Deals

[Epic Games] Super Meat Boy for FREE now to Mid-JAN

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 6:00 pm
Feb 14, 2007
91 posts
12 upvotes
Just added the Epic Games Launcher to my windows 10 laptop and it didn't work. Well it kind of worked but the signup window was 100 percent transparent. I was finally able to find the edge of it and resize it and that caused it to appear. I have heard good things about Subnautica and will give it a go.
Jan 22, 2013
951 posts
264 upvotes
BC
Added Subnautica, thanks.
Intel Core i7-4790K | Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury | <3
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6511 posts
3395 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Thx for the reminder! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Now I have both the Steam version which was purchased strictly because it was rated as a top VR game, plus this Epic version.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any differences both in content and performance.

Free is good!

Glad I've got an 8TB HDD coming today to use as for my games (backlog) library.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
4054 posts
1588 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks op, another 2 games I’ll most likely never play, but in the off chance I do I’ll add them Face With Tears Of Joy
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19002 posts
5900 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
The launcher is crap. No big picture mode equivalent and can't operate at all with a controller, decides to install the game automatically when launched without asking and hardly any options at all least of which disabling the automatic installation thing.

They're going to need to do better than this if they want to be a Steam replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6511 posts
3395 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 3:49 pm
The launcher is crap. No big picture mode equivalent and can't operate at all with a controller, decides to install the game automatically when launched without asking and hardly any options at all least of which disabling the automatic installation thing.

They're going to need to do better than this if they want to be a Steam replacement.
Odd, mine didn't decide to automatically install the game unless I clicked on the "install" icon in the games library.

The one thing I don't like is that the launcher settings don't allow for an alternative games library location.

I usually like to have the launcher on my SSD, and the games library on a HDD, Steam does this perfectly.

These are probably just growing pains.

That's one helluva game to give away for free though, it certainly got my attention.

Funny thing is, I already had an Epic Games account but never bother to install any software before this.

At some point I must have claimed both Unreal Tournament & the Robo Recall Mod, because they were both available in my games library.
May 24, 2007
914 posts
386 upvotes
As a warning, the checkout screen has some deceptive garbage on it.

In other words: "Check the box to say no." With the default unchecked box saying: "Yes, add me to your e-mail list."
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1077 posts
431 upvotes
I know nothing about this epic games page/launcher, but Subnautica was one of my favorite games played this year. Would recommend.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6511 posts
3395 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
AnonymousBroccoli wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 4:27 pm

In other words: "Check the box to say no." With the default unchecked box saying: "Yes, add me to your e-mail list."

If anyone happened to miss that then hopefully there's an "unSUBscribe from this email" option on their mail-outs.
Jan 27, 2007
16 posts
5 upvotes
Sudbury
AnonymousBroccoli wrote:

They may actually be breaking Canadian law (and almost certainly European law) with practices like this. There's a thread on Reddit about it, and how sketchy Epic Games has become since Tencent bought a major stake in the company.

I installed Subnautica anyway though... Didn't have to provide my credit card information at least.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1061 posts
950 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote:

Another bit of deceptiveness is once I installed the launcher it seemed to force me to download Fortnite without opting out. I went ahead with the download but cancelled it once I got the store's splash screen. Rather annoying.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Jan 27, 2007
16 posts
5 upvotes
Sudbury
GroundBus wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 6:59 am
so this is renting for 2 weeks, correct?
No. Once you install it the game is yours for good. It's just free to install for a two week window.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6511 posts
3395 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
BernardRyder wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 5:53 am
Another bit of deceptiveness is once I installed the launcher it seemed to force me to download Fortnite without opting out. I went ahead with the download but cancelled it once I got the store's splash screen. Rather annoying.
That's weird, I haven't experienced any of these forced downloads which people are mentioning.

The only games in my Library are the one's which I have chosen to download.

Perhaps it's because I have an older account/login, and maybe those who have created a new user ID are having their launcher populated with these titles?