• Sep 11th, 2019 1:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5228 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Epson WF-7720 Printer - Scan preview too blurry to use

I need a wide-format printer that can print up to 13x19 inch paper and also has a large scan bed.
Used an Epson WF-7520 for years with very few problems.

Decided to buy the new model, the old one was getting noisy (squealing of paper feed) and the new model also has a separate single page feed in addition to the two paper trays which is often very handy to print a single page on a different type of paper.

Anyway..... when I tried the scan the other day, the overview scan is so blurry and out of focus that I can't see the text well enough to actually select a specific section to scan. I didn't have that problem on the WF-7520 that I replaced.
I'm already back and forth with Epson support on that with no resolution and am now trying to decide to either return for a refund or have the printer replaced (if this is a one of quality issue).

So I'm wondering if by chance someone has that same model printer and what their scan preview looks like.
Mine looks like the image attached.
Images
  • Epson Scan_acct blocked.jpg
Last edited by krs on Sep 8th, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6023 posts
2054 upvotes
If the new model is also an Epson - make sure that you uninstall the drivers for the original scanner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6076 posts
2363 upvotes
Alberta
Don't post your scan here. We can see your account number. Post a page from a magazine or something.

Change the dpi to something higher and scan to .pdf instead of .jpeg. Manually put the page one to the glass. View .pdf with Adobe Acrobat Reader. See below. If it still does t work, it might be a problem with the scanner, take it back and exchange it for another one.

Scanned Characters are Blurry

Scanned image appears distorted or blurry, try these solutions:

Make sure your original is not wrinkled or warped. This may prevent the original from laying flat on the scanner glass.
Do not move your original or your product during scanning.
Your product will not operate properly while tilted at an angle. Place your product on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond its base in all directions.
Adjust these Epson Scan 2 settings (if available) and try scanning again:
Increase the Resolution setting.
If the Image Type setting is Black & White, adjust the Threshold setting.
If the Image Type setting is Color or Grayscale, select the Unsharp Mask setting.
If the Image Type setting is Black & White, select Text Enhancement. If the Image Type setting is Color or Grayscale, change the Text Enhancement setting to High.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5228 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 2:16 pm
Don't post your scan here. We can see your account number. Post a page from a magazine or something.
Thanks.
I'm not at home right nowwhere the printer is to do another scan so I blocked out the account number
Change the dpi to something higher and scan to .pdf instead of .jpeg. Manually put the page one to the glass. View .pdf with Adobe Acrobat Reader. See below. If it still does t work, it might be a problem with the scanner, take it back and exchange it for another one.

Scanned Characters are Blurry

Scanned image appears distorted or blurry, try these solutions:

Make sure your original is not wrinkled or warped. This may prevent the original from laying flat on the scanner glass.
Do not move your original or your product during scanning.
Your product will not operate properly while tilted at an angle. Place your product on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond its base in all directions.
Adjust these Epson Scan 2 settings (if available) and try scanning again:
Increase the Resolution setting.
If the Image Type setting is Black & White, adjust the Threshold setting.
If the Image Type setting is Color or Grayscale, select the Unsharp Mask setting.
If the Image Type setting is Black & White, select Text Enhancement. If the Image Type setting is Color or Grayscale, change the Text Enhancement setting to High.
Just to emphasize - the scan itself is fine (although I haven't tested to make sure it scan properly to the edge of the original) - it's the overview scan that is the problem.
I don't think any of the adjustments you suggest affect the overview scan.

I don't need the overview scan to be perfect, but it has to be good enough to be able to see and select specific areas if that is all one wants to scan.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8136 posts
1090 upvotes
In the settings of the app, try increasing the scan resolution (which is currently set at 200) as mentioned earlier.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5228 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
The scan resolution is totally irrelevant.
Increasing that makes no difference to the overview scan.
I just increased the scan resolution to the maximum available, 9600 dpi, the overview scan is still the same.

I wanted to see if by chance anyone had this AIO to compare to as far as the overview scan is concerned.
The older version of this Epson printer did a better job with the overview scan. The text was at least legible so one could see which part of the document to select if one only wanted part of that.

Exchanging this printer is something I want to avoid unless I have some assurance that this one is defective and the replacement will be better. This sucker is heavy.
I will see if I can find some info on the net or if Epson Support has some way to test this.
So far Epson Support has been very prompt with their replies, can't complain about that, but they have no resolution/answer either.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2010 posts
1434 upvotes
Montreal
Wouldn't the overview scan be purely a function of the included software? So I don't think replacing the unit would help.

Look to see if there's anything useful in any settings menu you see (something like "quality of overview" or size of overview or the like)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5228 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I tried both the Epson scan software that came with the printer and Image Capture that is part of the macOS package.
Image Capture actually does a slightly better job with the overview scan than the Epson software.
But neither allows any adjustment of the overview scan.

The previous Epson model I had, WF-7520 did a better job of the overview scan than this later model.
I could clearly see the text, it was still blurry, but not so blurry that I could not select the correct area to scan which is all I'm after.

I see on line that some people complain about having an overview scan at all and are looking for a means to turn it off because in many cases it launches automatically.
No way to do that apparently (not that I want that), but maybe Epson decided to increase the speed of the overview scan which in turn would make the scan more blurry.
I assume the overview scan is controlled by the firmware in the printer, so I imagine Epson could adjust that - but there is nothing in either scan software to adjust that overview scan.