The EQ Bank Savings Account thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 3:57 pm
Sep 13, 2018
11 posts
3 upvotes
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:18 am
Anyone able to set up Simplii push to EQ? My transaction was reversed - EQ told me sender name didn't match, Simplii said the correct legal name was on file. Investigation pending and they told me to call back Friday.
Yes, I tried. Called both EQ and simplii to try and resolve this. If I remember correctly, EQ claims when they receive the push, the name that appears as "invalid". The simplii person I spoke with seemed aware that EQ might have a formatting issue and said I was not the only one expediency this problem.

I have given up on trying to get this resolved. Calling multiple times to both banks seemed to get me nowhere

EQ bank also told me that I shouldn't have an issue if I tried to push an amount less than $1000. I had one go through without reversal, but my second attempt ended with a reversal
Feb 28, 2011
400 posts
233 upvotes
YYZ/YOW/SFO
redmintgold wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:26 am
Yes, I tried. Called both EQ and simplii to try and resolve this. If I remember correctly, EQ claims when they receive the push, the name that appears as "invalid". The simplii person I spoke with seemed aware that EQ might have a formatting issue and said I was not the only one expediency this problem.

I have given up on trying to get this resolved. Calling multiple times to both banks seemed to get me nowhere

EQ bank also told me that I shouldn't have an issue if I tried to push an amount less than $1000. I had one go through without reversal, but my second attempt ended with a reversal
I tried $0.10, that worked. I tried $900, did not work (reversal).
✈️AMEX Business Platinum|Cobalt|Blue Business Plus|US Bank Altitude Reserve|Citi Premier🌍
💳Uber Visa|TD NA Cash|TD Cashback Infinite|Rogers WE|CTFS WE+Cash Advantage💰
🏦Charles Schwab|Fidelity|Alliant|Ally💸
📱Zoomer $36 4GB|Carrytel $35 75/10🌐
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
I can push from EQ to Simplii, but not the other way around. For EQ, I just did the confirmation of transactions online to establish the link, but for Simplii, they wanted a real cheque (which EQ doesn't do), or a certified/signed letter from EQ Bank, which also isn't something I can get from them.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5078 posts
1767 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:02 pm
No, it's $100k per account holder, as always for CDIC. No idea why EQB has a $100k limit per GIC, but it's not because of CDIC.
My understanding is that CDIC is up to $100k but INCLUDING any accrued interest. Just in case it matters.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5078 posts
1767 upvotes
Due to Murphy's Law or bad timing, I ended up moving all of my money out of EQ on Monday just before they announced the 3.33% offer. Now, I am in the process of moving the funds back to EQ but was told that I have to wait their 5-day holding period before I can purchase the GIC. I thought that was odd because normally financial institutions allow one to buy GIC's even though the funds may not have cleared because there is no risk to the financial institution as the funds are essentially locked in. Anyways, now I just have to wait the 5 days. Sigh.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16406 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
choclover wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:09 am
My understanding is that CDIC is up to $100k but INCLUDING any accrued interest. Just in case it matters.
Correct. The chance of EQB going bust in the next 3 months is rather small as is the potential loss of interest. But for those who need 100% of their money insured, buy a ~$98,900 GIC instead ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1389 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:18 am
Anyone able to set up Simplii push to EQ? My transaction was reversed - EQ told me sender name didn't match, Simplii said the correct legal name was on file. Investigation pending and they told me to call back Friday.
This was reported multiple times one year ago on Simplii's thread. EQ never finished any "investigation pending" but it is most-likely Simplii's problem. Let us know if you get any updates.
Feb 28, 2011
400 posts
233 upvotes
YYZ/YOW/SFO
andrew4321 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:39 am
This was reported multiple times one year ago on Simplii's thread. EQ never finished any "investigation pending" but it is most-likely Simplii's problem. Let us know if you get any updates.
The investigation is on Simplii's side.
✈️AMEX Business Platinum|Cobalt|Blue Business Plus|US Bank Altitude Reserve|Citi Premier🌍
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
6131 posts
999 upvotes
multi city dweller
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:40 am
The investigation is on Simplii's side.
why not do a pull from eq side ... i think your fund earn interest right away ...
Feb 28, 2011
400 posts
233 upvotes
YYZ/YOW/SFO
VH99 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:23 pm
why not do a pull from eq side ... i think your fund earn interest right away ...
2 week hold
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2484 posts
1480 upvotes
Winnipeg
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:09 pm
2 week hold
In my experience it has only been 5 business days... Is there a longer hold for newer customers now?
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
6131 posts
999 upvotes
multi city dweller
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:09 pm
2 week hold
oh ... but why would you transfer yr fund when you know you gonna need to use it?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1032 posts
384 upvotes
Waterloo
As a workaround, why not just etransfer yourself $$? I do it all the time because it's free and basically instant, although it's for amounts less than $1000.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8783 posts
10731 upvotes
GT-EH
bylo wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:22 am
Correct. The chance of EQB going bust in the next 3 months is rather small as is the potential loss of interest. But for those who need 100% of their money insured, buy a ~$98,900 GIC instead ;)
~$99,170 ... @ 3.33% in 3 months you should get ~$99,995
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Feb 28, 2011
400 posts
233 upvotes
YYZ/YOW/SFO
PressureBoom wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 7:13 pm
As a workaround, why not just etransfer yourself $$? I do it all the time because it's free and basically instant, although it's for amounts less than $1000.
3k cap/day