• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 8:36 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
7 posts

Equifax Credit Score

Hi All.
I had some financial issues last year but at the start of the year everything is up to date and i am slowly trying to build back my credit score.
At the start of March both my transunion & equifax was at 620s, My Transunion score is increasing every month and is at 660s now but my equifax score is still stuck at 620s
Any one know the reason for this.

Thanks in advance.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1362 posts
567 upvotes
TORONTO
I suspect it is because you are regarded as a poor credit risk.

You seem to be on the right track, but it will take time to demonstrate that you have a track record of paying your bills on time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7095 posts
4060 upvotes
Edmonton
imranalii wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi All.
I had some financial issues last year but at the start of the year everything is up to date and i am slowly trying to build back my credit score.
At the start of March both my transunion & equifax was at 620s, My Transunion score is increasing every month and is at 660s now but my equifax score is still stuck at 620s

Thanks in advance.
The different scoring systems value different attributes. For example, past history, utilization, etc. So just keep everything paid up, and time will drop the derogatory items off.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7095 posts
4060 upvotes
Edmonton
Tommycoupons wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:20 am
EQ score is always lower than TU
That is incorrect.

C
Jan 10, 2018
198 posts
79 upvotes
Any credit check I've ever seen has worked that way
[OP]
Apr 8, 2018
7 posts
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:26 am
That is incorrect.

C
\
I have no problem in it being lower, my concerns is that its not improving like the Transunion score,even slightly
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7095 posts
4060 upvotes
Edmonton
imranalii wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:35 am
\
I have no problem in it being lower, my concerns is that its not improving like the Transunion score,even slightly
Yeah, I get that. But without seeing your credit report, it's hard to give any concrete advice. If you have any derogatory items (late payments, collections, etc) still on your file, you may not see much movement until those items fall off.

C
Jun 6, 2016
153 posts
63 upvotes
Scarborough, ONT
imranalii wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi All.

Thanks in advance.
EF and TU weight things differently, and therefore your score will improve / decline based on different factors. Overall if it's going up, it should go up on both, but there could be several months lag between the two because they view things in different ways.
Also, often things show up on one credit file and not the other... For instance TU keeps old "good" stuff for like 20 years, EF only keeps for 6 years. I have closed accounts from before 2010 that show up on TU but not EF. On the flip side, my virgin cell phone shows up on EF, but not TU.
Overall though, it's just a waiting game. Your score should improve about 1 year after you "sorted everything out", and significantly improve after about the 2 year mark. Just make sure to do everything right in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
4568 posts
3523 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
Alex383 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:48 am
EF and TU weight things differently, and therefore your score will improve / decline based on different factors. Overall if it's going up, it should go up on both, but there could be several months lag between the two because they view things in different ways.
Also, often things show up on one credit file and not the other... For instance TU keeps old "good" stuff for like 20 years, EF only keeps for 6 years. I have closed accounts from before 2010 that show up on TU but not EF. On the flip side, my virgin cell phone shows up on EF, but not TU.
Overall though, it's just a waiting game. Your score should improve about 1 year after you "sorted everything out", and significantly improve after about the 2 year mark. Just make sure to do everything right in the meantime.
+1
Aug 17, 2013
207 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Tommycoupons wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:20 am
EQ score is always lower than TU
I can confirm with myself and a few other close friends. EQ has always been lower than TU. Small sample size but it seems like the norm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7095 posts
4060 upvotes
Edmonton
orianna wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 5:07 pm
I can confirm with myself and a few other close friends. EQ has always been lower than TU. Small sample size but it seems like the norm
And my TU is lower than my EQ by 38 points. So I guess I'm not "norm". Always is different than often, which was my objection to that particular post.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2690 posts
1637 upvotes
Oakville, ON
orianna wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 5:07 pm
Agreed. In your small sample size that is the norm. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean it translates into being a universal norm.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2690 posts
1637 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Alex383 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:48 am
This. Fords and Toyotas are both cars in the same way that EQ and TU both provide credit scores. So while they’re both cars, there are differences in styling, quality, reliability, etc, etc, between a Ford and a Toyota. They each favour different aspects and attributes.
Aug 17, 2013
207 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianLurker wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 5:15 pm
Agreed. In your small sample size that is the norm. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean it translates into being a universal norm.
First topic i found when i put in "Transunion vs equifax reddit"

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanc ... ncy_in_my/

Again, I'm saying with my small sample size of a few a people, 100% of the population has a higher score on TU than Equifax. No one is saying it with 100% percent confidence. Just stated from what i have seen with my eyes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)