Expired Hot Deals

[Equifax] FREE Equifax one year TrustedID Premier service (US Citizens)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 10:53 am
Tags:
None
Apr 2, 2015
56 posts
37 upvotes
Siberia
They hired someone with a BA in music composition as their Chief Information Security Officer... Thats like the president of the US hiring a 3yr old to be their personal body guard. I'd never trust a company this stupid to protect my security.
whabs wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:22 pm
In the end it's not even about the 400$ (which is nothing in the grand scheme of things), but the total amount they will have to pay... and that hopefully security will be taken more seriously.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15755 posts
4660 upvotes
Ottawa
Jone19 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:23 am
They hired someone with a BA in music composition as their Chief Information Security Officer... Thats like the president of the US hiring a 3yr old to be their personal body guard. I'd never trust a company this stupid to protect my security.
You don't have much choice, as our FIs report to them regardless if you use their services.
Mar 9, 2012
832 posts
257 upvotes
KITCHENER
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:58 pm
Just pay $5 to TU and Equifax for the fraud alert (good for five years)

Harder to churn cards but harder to open new accounts under your name without additional steps - them call you back or something like that.
Never knew of this, thanks for the heads up. (hopefully you'll get more upvotes...)
Dec 29, 2010
36 posts
17 upvotes
For everyone here that thinks that doing this waves your rights to a class action law suit, please don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's been miscontrued, from their FAQ:
>The arbitration clause and class action wavier included in the TrustedID Premier Terms of Use applies to the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection products, and not the cybersecurity incident.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9762 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:05 pm
Never knew of this, thanks for the heads up. (hopefully you'll get more upvotes...)
Actually six years and you're welcome.

Read that Americans are freezing their credit file or doing this fraud alert option. Not sure how freezing works. The only freezing I know is coming in a few months' time.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4764 posts
586 upvotes
GVR
Does anyone know if there's any advisory notice for Canadians (from either Equifax or the Canadian government)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7487 posts
1277 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:14 pm
Actually six years and you're welcome.

Read that Americans are freezing their credit file or doing this fraud alert option. Not sure how freezing works. The only freezing I know is coming in a few months' time.
Basically you get a PIN and only with that you can unfreeze your account online (Provided you changed your PIN after the data breach). So when you want to apply for credit you first go online and unfreeze your accounts

Wish we could do something like that
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7169 posts
698 upvotes
Jone19 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:23 am
what is the difference between that and having a 3yr old as the P who has the finger on that button ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7487 posts
1277 upvotes
I assume there will be an inquiry into the directors who sold the shares before and possible jail time? Maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5811 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
Analogy: If someone I am supposed to trust lets people steal from my home and then offers me free home protection for a year, I am supposed to be happy?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2711 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
BeanFinn wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:10 pm
on a good note I was not impacted
How do you know you're not affected at this point?

If you used trustedidpremier.com to check, I believe it's only capable of checking US customers with a SSN (social security number).

Canada uses SIN (social insurance number). From what I've been reading Equifax hasn't come up with a game plan for Canadian's yet.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1574 posts
166 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 1:40 pm
Analogy: If someone I am supposed to trust lets people steal from my home and then offers me free home protection for a year, I am supposed to be happy?
Isn't this literally what Mafia does (in the movies at least)?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1238 posts
536 upvotes
Alberta
GSXXRR wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:00 pm
How do you know you're not affected at this point?

If you used trustedidpremier.com to check, I believe it's only capable of checking US customers with a SSN (social security number).

Canada uses SIN (social insurance number). From what I've been reading Equifax hasn't come up with a game plan for Canadian's yet.
Can't be affected if you don't have a credit file.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15755 posts
4660 upvotes
Ottawa
fluidmax wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:05 pm
Can't be affected if you don't have a credit file.
You don't have a bank account, credit card or any type of loan?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
I thought in Canada, you only need 4 digits of the SIN, the rest you can guess. So obviously the site is not for Canadians. If anyone checked and found out he/she was impacted. Perhaps your last 6 digits matched with some US SSN who has the last name

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)