Hot Deals

[Equifax] FREE Equifax one year TrustedID Premier service (US Citizens)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 10:53 am
Tags:
None
Sep 2, 2017
19 posts
4 upvotes
It says everyone could be impacted on that page, it's not a real accurate check. Tested it with "test and 123456" and says my personal info may have been impacted.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2699 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
fluidmax wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:05 pm
Can't be affected if you don't have a credit file.
if you have a bank account, credit card of any sort, asked for loan, line of credit, financed a car, been on a payroll, etc... i'm sure you're listed in Equifax's database. regardless if you signed up with Equifax to view your credit report or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1198 posts
490 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:10 pm
You don't have a bank account, credit card or any type of loan?
Under the age of majority?
Jul 20, 2006
45 posts
15 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:56 am
IMO, just because the US can carry out a security credit freeze, it doesn't mean it's a good solution to follow. Essentially, this whole thing with the breach is an issue because the identity proofing process only requires static immutable personal data. Regulations and processes should be improved such that mutable/transactional personal information is used, or improve the identity proofing criteria / process overall.

(i.e. security credit freeze is just a temporary patch on a existing insufficiently secure process)
At least it's an option that helps. We don't even have that option
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4590 posts
503 upvotes
GVR
stray_tachyon wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:46 pm
At least it's an option that helps. We don't even have that option
Good point...agree.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
2045 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
where can we sign up for the lawsuit? ;)
Apr 25, 2016
83 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I love how everyone is downvoting the OP to hell because they're mad at the issue at hand. Internet justice, we did it!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1174 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
KombatVirus wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:14 pm
I love how everyone is downvoting the OP to hell because they're mad at the issue at hand. Internet justice, we did it!
When the OP posted it, Equifax's slimy lawyers had language on the site that removed rights from injured parties, forcing them into arbitration (which companies always win). That has since been deleted following intense pressure from lawmakers and prosecutors.
Last edited by FatWallet on Sep 11th, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1174 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
tarushin wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:03 pm
where can we sign up for the lawsuit? ;)
Patience, Grasshopper, patience...
In your pants!
Dec 9, 2014
931 posts
297 upvotes
FatWallet wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:20 pm
When the OP posted it, Equifax's slimy lawyers had language on the site that removed rights from injured parties, forcing them into arbitration (which companies always win). That has since been deleted following intense pressure from lawmakers and prosecutors.
Why do companies always win arbitrations
Mar 9, 2012
720 posts
215 upvotes
KITCHENER
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:14 pm
Actually six years and you're welcome.

Read that Americans are freezing their credit file or doing this fraud alert option. Not sure how freezing works. The only freezing I know is coming in a few months' time.
I haven't heard of freezing for a long time. It basically shuts everything down so you cannot get credit period without contacting the Transunion or Equifax first to give permission for a credit check. That's how I remember of it 25 years ago when my cards were stolen.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1174 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
G0DKING wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:47 pm
Because they hire and pay the arbitrators. If the arbitrator does not rule in the company's favour, they're not hired again.
Last edited by FatWallet on Sep 11th, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1552 posts
156 upvotes
G0DKING wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:47 pm
I don't think they do but arbitrators would normally rule in the middle, that is between what each party wants or at least to some "reasonable" middle ground. So the customer would get some money corresponding to actual loss and hassle (couple hundred or thousands if there was actual fraud) but not the millions that most of these lawsuits usually ask for in the US. They might even just say that a year or two of free monitoring is sufficient since there was no actual harm. Easier in cases of things like say Xbox 360 defect . Arbitrator might give the customer cost of what they paid plus postage and maybe a bit for the time lost but certainly not a few hundred thousands.

Not that I would feel bad if there's hundreds of millions in fines and jail time involved in this particular incident.
Feb 9, 2009
629 posts
109 upvotes
Looks like the breach was only affecting Canadians dealing with US businesses. That means most of us are not affected anyway.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14643 posts
3955 upvotes
Ottawa
smackioio wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:26 pm
Looks like the breach was only affecting Canadians dealing with US businesses. That means most of us are not affected anyway.
As in purchasing goods or services from US businesses...which would mean alot of us would be affected? LOL

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)