• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 10:24 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2007
107 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

Equifax Hacked Jul 29- 143M Americans, Unknown # of Canadians

*sigh* - Names, Birthdates, Addresses and SSNs stolen.

Equifax is providing credit monitoring to impacted Americans (https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ link courtesy of Georvu)

From the website, "Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. Equifax will work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps."

US consumers are able to type their name and last few digits of SSN into a "Potential Impact" check to see if their data was accessed. No such tool provided for potentially impacted Canadians.

EDIT: Added news story from a following post

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technol ... index.html

Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

by Sara Ashley O'Brien @saraashleyo
September 7, 2017: 6:03 PM ET

Equifax says a giant cybersecurity breach compromised the personal information of as many as 143 million Americans — almost half the country.

Cyber criminals have accessed sensitive information -- including names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver's licenses.

Additionally, Equifax said that credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. customers were exposed, as was "personal identifying information" on roughly 182,000 U.S. customers involved in credit report disputes. Residents in the U.K. and Canada were also impacted.

The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said. The company said it discovered the hack on July 29.

"This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do," said Equifax chairman and CEO Richard F. Smith.

Equifax is one of three nationwide credit-reporting companies that track and rates the financial history of U.S. consumers. The companies are supplied with data about loans, loan payments and credit cards, as well as information on everything from child support payments, credit limits, missed rent and utilities payments, addresses and employer history, which all factor into credit scores.

Unlike other data breaches, not all of the people affected by the Equifax breach may be aware that they're customers of the company. Equifax gets its data from credit card companies, banks, retailers, and lenders who report on the credit activity of individuals to credit reporting agencies, as well as by purchasing public records.

Consumers can check to see if they've potentially been impacted by submitting their last name and the last six digits of their social security number. Those affected will be given a date to enroll in free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services.

Equifax is also mailing notices to people whose credit cards or dispute documents were affected.

"This is reason Number 10,000 to check your online bank statements and credit card statements on a regular basis, ideally weekly," said Matt Schulz, senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com. "Bad guys can be very patient, so it's important to keep an eye out long after this story fades from the headlines."
Last edited by Ash20 on Sep 7th, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
211 replies
Feb 21, 2010
365 posts
62 upvotes
Scarborough
I tried with my ssn. Got enrollment date of 9/14 with a link to start the process
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1783 posts
856 upvotes
I wish journalists' would educate themselves on facts before they go ahead with an article.
Employment history, address, support payments and rent payments have nothing to do with credit scores.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1783 posts
856 upvotes
No evidence that the core consumer reporting database was accessed.
Sounds like only data that was stolen are people who have open disputes back when the incident occurred.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2071 posts
1101 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:00 pm
I wish journalists' would educate themselves on facts before they go ahead with an article.
Employment history, address, support payments and rent payments have nothing to do with credit scores.
The writer only got one minor detail wrong...

That info may not directly impact credit score, but it's definitely part of your credit report and was part of the leaked data.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1783 posts
856 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:13 pm
The writer only got one minor detail wrong...

That info may not directly impact credit score, but it's definitely part of your credit report and was part of the leaked data.
I've never heard of support payments or rent payments being reported on a credit bureau.
If they've gone delinquent maybe, but that's about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2071 posts
1101 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:16 pm
I've never heard of support payments or rent payments being reported on a credit bureau.
If they've gone delinquent maybe, but that's about it.
The article says "missed rent". Court-ordered support payments do indeed appear on CB reports - it's also factored into TDSR for lenders.
May 27, 2007
36 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:04 pm
No evidence that the core consumer reporting database was accessed.
Sounds like only data that was stolen are people who have open disputes back when the incident occurred.
the Equifax statements sound more ominous?

"Equifax Inc. (NYSE: EFX) today announced a cybersecurity incident potentially impacting approximately 143 million U.S. consumers. Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files. Based on the company’s investigation, the unauthorized access occurred from mid-May through July 2017. The company has found no evidence of unauthorized activity on Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed."
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1296 posts
142 upvotes
The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers.
Sure, core credit information is not impacted, but that's not important. I actually don't mind people knowing my credit history. What's important is people's personal information that can be used for identity theft.

In other words, a total fxxk up. And in this case, it's not Home Depot or some merchant, it's Equifax itself who is supposed to be the safest.

And they say only limited information were accessed for Canadians. They probably meant the same thing - personal info only, no credit info, and they call this "limited".
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1434 posts
608 upvotes
Oh cripes. I can just imagine the lawsuits in the US...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4643 posts
305 upvotes
Victoria
This is basic security principles here. You don't store personal information in a way that it can be accessed from a publicly accessible web application. There's ZERO reason for this. Completed inexcusable.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14619 posts
3942 upvotes
Ottawa
I was affected by the HD breach and they offered me free Equifax monitoring and now I may be affected by another breach.
Is Equifax going to offer me TransUnion monitoring services?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

mkl38s