• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 9:10 am
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1772 posts
851 upvotes
elfion wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
I'm pretty sure these alters will be delayed by up to a month, which is the frequency with which equifax refreshes the data.
False
Jan 13, 2009
47 posts
5 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:21 pm
False
could you ехpand on that? my mortgage broker told me that they refresh around the end of the month. and that aligns with how she couldnt see some products I was applying for until a month later.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14576 posts
3906 upvotes
Ottawa
elfion wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:20 am
could you ехpand on that? my mortgage broker told me that they refresh around the end of the month. and that aligns with how she couldnt see some products I was applying for until a month later.
The Bureaus update based on when the FIs report to them.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1772 posts
851 upvotes
elfion wrote:
Your mortgage broker is high.
When you apply for a product, the inquiry shows instantly on the bureau file.
Once you open a new account, it may take a month or more for the account to show on the bureaus, but that is the reporting procedure of the lender, not the updating of the bureaus.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4593 posts
843 upvotes
Mississauga
elfion wrote:
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:34 am
The Bureaus update based on when the FIs report to them.
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:04 am
Your mortgage broker is high.
When you apply for a product, the inquiry shows instantly on the bureau file.
Once you open a new account, it may take a month or more for the account to show on the bureaus, but that is the reporting procedure of the lender, not the updating of the bureaus.
I've had a CIBC credit card for quite some time, and they have the free CreditSmart alert features. When I opened my Bell cellphone account and they do the (hard hit) credit check, I was alerted within a couple of days.

That's what Mogo is working on providing. It's an alert when an inquiry (hard hit credit check) is made (which is reported real time), not when a new account shows up (which can be delayed a month or so as mentioned in the above replies).
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1960 posts
452 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:48 am
I've had a CIBC credit card for quite some time, and they have the free CreditSmart alert features. When I opened my Bell cellphone account and they do the (hard hit) credit check, I was alerted within a couple of days.

That's what Mogo is working on providing. It's an alert when an inquiry (hard hit credit check) is made (which is reported real time), not when a new account shows up (which can be delayed a month or so as mentioned in the above replies).
I believe when the account is open/show-up, you would get another alert from CIBC too (account changes). I remember when I applied for PCF WE MC, I got 2 alerts, thought it was wrong, but as it turned out PCF did 2 hard hits for the card, not sure why, but seemed like everyone was the same, my wife got 2 hits too, when she got her card last year
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29008 posts
974 upvotes
Fernando Po
kenchau wrote:

Is this only with the CIBC credit card? How about other accounts? Couldn't find anything when online banking for this.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1772 posts
851 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:33 pm
Is this only with the CIBC credit card? How about other accounts? Couldn't find anything when online banking for this.
I just went into online banking, and selected the bank account, and the Credit Smart Credit Alerts is NOT an option there.
It is only available when I click on the credit card account.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2385 posts
387 upvotes
kenchau wrote:

Appreciate the info... maybe I should get a CIBC cc.

Anyone can confirm if any other financial institution has similar as CIBC?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1772 posts
851 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:35 pm
Appreciate the info... maybe I should get a CIBC cc.

Anyone can confirm if any other financial institution has similar as CIBC?
I have credit cards with:
BMO
RBC
TD (MBNA)
CIBC
Scotia
Amex
Capital One
Rogers Bank
PC MasterCard

Out of these, CIBC is the only one that offers credit file alerts.
Although mine hasn't worked in years, no idea why.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2385 posts
387 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:15 pm
I have credit cards with:
BMO
RBC
TD (MBNA)
CIBC
Scotia
Amex
Capital One
Rogers Bank
PC MasterCard

Out of these, CIBC is the only one that offers credit file alerts.
Although mine hasn't worked in years, no idea why.
Thanks.

Did some more research... RBC has something as well... http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/news/2017/2 ... redit.html
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1960 posts
452 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:31 pm
With RBC you can get your credit file and score once a month, but there are no alerts like there is with CIBC.
Totally different service.
That's right. Only CIBC, that's why I still kept Dividend (no fee) VISA that I only use once a year so I can have the credit alert feature :)
Jan 13, 2009
47 posts
5 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:04 am
ahh, I see. thanks for the explanation, this is helpful.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4643 posts
305 upvotes
Victoria
McMaggot wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:15 pm
Where did you read that?
How else did the data leak?