Personal Finance

Equifax Hacked Jul 29- 143M Americans, Unknown # of Canadians

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 12:00 pm
Oct 11, 2010
896 posts
264 upvotes
Charlottetown
What kind of legal problems will the execs that sold stock be on the hook for? My guess is that they knew they'd be caught and it was still worthwhile for them to do
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1301 posts
143 upvotes
nmclean wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:12 pm
No, you may be asked those questions. There are multiple methods of identity verification, and that's only one of them. Name, DOB, address, and SSN/SIN is plenty. In many, many cases this is all you need. Meanwhile, if you had access to the credit history but NOT those 4 pieces, you wouldn't be able to get very far... so yeah, this attitude is totally reasonable. "Clueless" would the people actually fooled by Equifax's desperate attempt to exaggerate the importance of the "safe" information and downplay what was actually stolen.
Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
513263337 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:01 pm
I obviously meant I don't care about my credit information out there WITHOUT personal information. I can post what credit cards I had for how many years and all of their R1 status here for you, but what good does it do without knowing who I am?
Of course some history without identity is useless. But you were talking about YOUR history. Go read your words in case you don't remember.

But sure you can take the foot out of your mouth now. It's ok.

It'd be interesting to see how Equifax goes about fixing this mess. This type of data breach is inexcusable.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29031 posts
981 upvotes
Fernando Po
So I see that you can't freeze your credit reports in Canada but has anyone done a credit alert? And if so, how's it done? Think it might be wise to pre-empt any id theft before it happens.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29031 posts
981 upvotes
Fernando Po
Not sure this is what I'm looking for. I want to stop anyone from getting credit in my name, and be notified if someone tries. This appears to be protection for an existing credit card, no future applications for credit.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15110 posts
4211 upvotes
Ottawa
hagbard wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:37 pm
Not sure this is what I'm looking for. I want to stop anyone from getting credit in my name, and be notified if someone tries. This appears to be protection for an existing credit card, no future applications for credit.
It's exactly what you need, as anyone (including you); that tries to take out a loan or credit card will require the FI to contact you personally to verify the application.
Feb 17, 2017
153 posts
63 upvotes
Calgary
I wouldn't surprise me if this kills of Equifax in some countries. Especially the UK which has 3 credit reference agencies, I can't see them being missed.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29031 posts
981 upvotes
Fernando Po
Thought I should mention, it appears that the Equifax check to see if you've been affected works with canadian social insurance numbers as well. Checked mine and my wife's, said "your personal information was not impacted by this incident" but also offered to sign me up for TrustedID Premier.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2054 posts
473 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:26 pm
Thought I should mention, it appears that the Equifax check to see if you've been affected works with canadian social insurance numbers as well. Checked mine and my wife's, said "your personal information was not impacted by this incident" but also offered to sign me up for TrustedID Premier.
Did they say so or because you entered digits of your SIN so it couldn't find a match with the affected SSNs hence it said you were not impacted?
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29031 posts
981 upvotes
Fernando Po
mkl38s wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:42 pm
Did they say so or because you entered digits of your SIN so it couldn't find a match with the affected SSNs hence it said you were not impacted?
I think the G&M said it was for the US and Canada, so I tried it. It gave a check mark when I entered both my name and SIN. Was assuming the green check was saying that the two matched. Okay, went back and entered a fake name and number and also got the green check. Might be looking for a Social Security Number. They really should have something for Canada.
Last edited by hagbard on Sep 8th, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1161 posts
325 upvotes
Didn't they say the SIN/SSN information, the whole profile including credit history was breached? Why are some people selectively talking only about credit history?
Sep 15, 2014
89 posts
42 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 7:59 pm
Well according to the video shown here,

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/0 ... in-us.html

If you had signed up for the free credit report monitoring you will have agreed to forfeit your right to sue later on. I knew it!!!
Any lawyers (or Supreme Court judges lol) that can verify if this is actually legal? I don't think it is. Just because I draw up a contract stating that you can't sue me if I steal $10 000 from you, and you sign it, does not mean you can't actually sue me after the fact.

People draw up ridiculous/unlawful contracts all the time, doesn't mean they'll automatically have a leg to stand on in court.
Mar 9, 2012
740 posts
226 upvotes
KITCHENER
I wonder if those "Canadians" are ones that may gotten a US based credit card.

Back in 1992 or 1993, can't remember, I went to Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY. Anyway, I was shopping at Kaufmann's and was offered a 10% discount if I applied for their credit card. Free money is free money, and I figured for sure that I wouldn't get a card, being Canadian and all.

Well, I got my discount, obviously and a month later, a letter and Kaufmann's Credit Card in the mail. Never used it, but obviously they would have reported it to the 3 credit companies.

Really, you wouldn't expect this from such a major company, especially one solely based on people credit worthiness.

Wow...just...wow.