• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2017 6:32 pm
Mar 9, 2012
897 posts
273 upvotes
KITCHENER
ToniCipriani wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:54 am
Equifax is way ahead of you on that. They swept in a clause saying if you accept the TrustedID service, you waive the right to sue or participate in a class action.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/equifax-br ... it-waiver/

Doesn't apply to Canada yet (service doesn't work, they are "reviewing with regulators" , but you bet they will do the same thing.
I think they changed that, when I went over there, it said the reverse of what CBS said. I guess people were pretty pissed.

Anyway, did the SIN thing, told me to come back after 14th for enrolment.
Nov 21, 2010
602 posts
97 upvotes
Canada
According to their incident site: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ (provided at your thestar.com article)
September 8, 2017

We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we’ve made the following adjustments:

1). YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR STATUS IMMEDIATELY
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

3). EXPANDED OUR CALL CENTER
We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.

Wonder if that is true and they are not trying to pull a fast one.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2816 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I put my name/SIN in and was told my information was effected...my spouses info showed his was not effected. Not too sure what to do now...what a mess. This threat will be hanging over our heads forever.....
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15157 posts
1109 upvotes
Thornhill
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/equ ... ster-fire/
I cannot recall a previous data breach in which the breached company’s public outreach and response has been so haphazard and ill-conceived as the one coming right now from big-three credit bureau Equifax, which rather clumsily announced Thursday that an intrusion jeopardized Social security numbers and other information on 143 million Americans.

Bloomberg moved a story yesterday indicating that three top executives at Equifax sold millions of dollars worth of stock during the time between when the company says it discovered the breach and when it notified the public and investors.

Shares of Equifax’s stock on the New York Stock Exchange [NSYE:EFX] were down more than 13 percent at time of publication versus yesterday’s price.

The executives reportedly told Bloomberg they didn’t know about the breach when they sold their shares. A law firm in New York has already announced it is investigating potential insider trading claims against Equifax.
Might affect those who signed up after the Home Depot breach.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1891 posts
88 upvotes
513263337 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:40 pm
Sure, core credit information is not impacted, but that's not important. I actually don't mind people knowing my credit history. What's important is people's personal information that can be used for identity theft.

In other words, a total fxxk up. And in this case, it's not Home Depot or some merchant, it's Equifax itself who is supposed to be the safest.

And they say only limited information were accessed for Canadians. They probably meant the same thing - personal info only, no credit info, and they call this "limited".
+100
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29105 posts
1001 upvotes
Fernando Po
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:00 pm
I put my name/SIN in and was told my information was effected...my spouses info showed his was not effected. Not too sure what to do now...what a mess. This threat will be hanging over our heads forever.....
Alternatively, maybe you have a very common last name and your SIN number matches some American's SSN.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2816 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
hagbard wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 7:55 am
Alternatively, maybe you have a very common last name and your SIN number matches some American's SSN.
Thanks ..makes sense. I've signed up for a free mogo credit report (mailed monthly) and will continue to monitor my a/c's which is something I've always done. Let's hope they (equifax) don't get away with this, let alone profit from it by signing up people for their service. I'm reading about class action lawsuits and if I'm able I'll be joining in but at this point it's a grey area since even by just signing up (after the homedepot leak) I may have already waived.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29105 posts
1001 upvotes
Fernando Po
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:41 am
Thanks ..makes sense. I've signed up for a free mogo credit report (mailed monthly) and will continue to monitor my a/c's which is something I've always done. Let's hope they (equifax) don't get away with this, let alone profit from it by signing up people for their service. I'm reading about class action lawsuits and if I'm able I'll be joining in but at this point it's a grey area since even by just signing up (after the homedepot leak) I may have already waived.
Thought about Mogo then thought they are probably an easier target for hacking than Equifax was and decided against it. My RBC account has free credit reports from Transunion but in their terms and conditions they included that you cannot sue them. So I passed on that too. This is one of those cases where the govt is going to have to do something to force the credit bureaus to provide free access for one's credit reports, make it easy and free to opt out of credit reporting, or free altets. The security in the finance industry is awful....banks should also have two step verification (none do that I'm aware of).
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2816 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
hagbard wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:47 am
Thought about Mogo then thought they are probably an easier target for hacking than Equifax was and decided against it....
I won't pretend to know what happened ...I figured Equifax was secure just by the nature of what they do. As far as I understand, even if you did't sign up with them like many of us did - you can still have been targeted. As for mogo, my understanding is that it pulls the info from Equifax, so that ship has already sailed as far as signing up.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13409 posts
1225 upvotes
Given the recent security breach and ongoing uncertainty about security, is it possible to have Equifax remove all personal identifying information from their servers?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13409 posts
1225 upvotes
It's more out of principle at this point. I realize it won't mitigate damages from the data breach.

I don't feel comfortable being profiled by a company where I feel less like a customer, and more like the product.. especially when they can't even be trusted to hold my identity. Basically, I'm done with Equifax and I want out.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4701 posts
1622 upvotes
IANAL but I have to wonder how enforceable the clause about foregoing the right to sue will be when such a fundamental aspect of Equifax's business is security of information. IOW, I wouldn't be too surprised that they both have to provide the credit monitoring for free AND still be subject to class action suits and damages to those same customers.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13409 posts
1225 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:36 am
I know that Equifax has accumulated private personal information about me, which they now may have exposed publicly. I've never dealt with Equifax in any way, nor given them permission directly or indirectly to accumulate that information. Sounds like grounds for a class-action lawsuit to me.
Exactly my thoughts. I never once asked to be monitored or profiled.

Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29105 posts
1001 upvotes
Fernando Po
Syne wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:44 am
Exactly my thoughts. I never once asked to be monitored or profiled.
The banks and other financial institutions are also to blame and should also be part of the suit.