Personal Finance

Equifax Hacked Jul 29- 143M Americans, Unknown # of Canadians

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 8:39 am
Aug 10, 2001
674 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Has anyone spoken to Equifax to see what Canadians can do to check if we are affected? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2169 posts
1093 upvotes
pennysaver wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:48 am
Has anyone spoken to Equifax to see what Canadians can do to check if we are affected? Thanks!
Why would anyone want to call Equifax, and try to speak to someone who doesn't speak English, for them to either tell us they have no clue about it, or give incorrect information.
And all that is if you're lucky enough to understand them to begin with.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29057 posts
992 upvotes
Fernando Po
Anyone here thinking about Identity Theft Insurance? If so, who'd you go with?
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Jan 1, 2015
42 posts
23 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
unodos wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:38 pm
I think the hack was through website mint.com which gives Equifax free credit score
I'd love to know where you're getting this information from because it looks like you're just making it up.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2810 posts
438 upvotes
Aurora, ON
hagbard wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:41 am
I'd be interested in this as well. Thanks to equifax we're all at risk for the rest of our lives. All that paper shredding and trying to maintain our privacy just went out the window and to top it off we now may need to add another bill to our monthly load - for identity theft insurance.
Will they (equifax) at least give us the courtesy or knowing whether our numbers have been compromised or is the US public the only ones that'll be notified...?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15749 posts
4654 upvotes
Ottawa
hagbard wrote:
TDMM offers it with their home insurance coverage and I've used it once for a claim, but never to the full extent; as I ended up doing all of the "investigation" and to resolve the issue on my own.
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
hagbard wrote:
Have this through home insurance as well, TD Meloche Monnex $60 plus pst per year (renewal just happened)
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2169 posts
1093 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Not sure if this is the product you're referring to, but CTFS has a product called Identity Watch
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2169 posts
1093 upvotes
In the US, consumers can "freeze" their credit reports.
While a credit file is frozen, it cannot be accessed by anyone period, and therefore can not be used to get credit granted.
When the consumer plans to apply for credit, they can then call the credit bureaus to have the files unfrozen.
Sounds like a pain in the ass, but this could be useful to aid in preventing identity theft.
No idea why they don't offer something like that in Canada.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29057 posts
992 upvotes
Fernando Po
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:28 pm
I'd be interested in this as well. Thanks to equifax we're all at risk for the rest of our lives. All that paper shredding and trying to maintain our privacy just went out the window and to top it off we now may need to add another bill to our monthly load - for identity theft insurance.
My guess is that the govt will provide a secondary means of identification that would be harder to counterfeit, but also make it easier for Big Brother to track you. They need to, at least for now, require that the credit bureaus provide a credit report freeze for those who want them at no cost.
Will they (equifax) at least give us the courtesy or knowing whether our numbers have been compromised or is the US public the only ones that'll be notified...?
They're likely not required to provide the information in Canada whereas they are in the US. They said they'll "leave it to Canadian authorities". They should all be banned in Canada.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4597 posts
152 upvotes
pennysaver wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:48 am
Somebody called them:

"Ok, so I just got off the phone with Equifax. The person I spoke with said that the breach was from the US servers and only relates to information for Canadians who had American bank accounts, credit extension, ECT... and would have been in the US credit reports. If you have no reason for having a credit history in the US, your information was not taken in the hack.

That being said, I don't have much faith in the honesty of a company that maybe facing it's death, after a colossal failure like Equifax. Fraud alerts may not be a bad idea for both Equifax and Transunion, and then maintain good credit hygiene by requesting copies of your free credit history from both periodically, to watch for unrecognized credit or account usage.

In any event, I still plan on writing my MP and asking that they table legislation regarding Credit Freeze laws or increasing other methods of privacy protection with regards to people's credit report information (or even have the $5 fee removed to have the fraud alert placed on your report) and encourage others who were concerned about this to do so as well. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comment ... a/dmvcslo/
Sep 10, 2017
2 posts
3 upvotes
Equifax won't freeze in Canada because our government doesn't make them. They won't do it on their own because they would lose millions selling you their monthly monitoring schemes to protect you from.....from...from THEM. Freezing works because you now have the key to let only those legitimate companies that you pre-authorize have your personal information. They have a direct conflict of interest to not have you freeze your information because then you have no need for their monthly monitoring. They are more interested in dangling your personal information to the highest bidder (which includes you), than to act in a responsible manner to protect your personal identity info. Government information is sorely needed here, and is plain to see from there actions to engage crisis marketers to control the fallout, profit from their mistake, and provide as little concrete information as possible to individuals. The one thing that is nearest to a certainty is that the social insurance number, address, birthdate, etc for everyone on this page is now in a data-bank-for-sale, and you can't take it back. You can contact the FCAC in Canada to complain and hope they will enact legislation to protect individuals. At least freezing would put a stop to some fraudulent activity.
Sep 10, 2017
2 posts
3 upvotes
Equifax won't freeze in Canada because our government doesn't make them. They won't do it on their own because they would lose millions selling you their monthly monitoring schemes to protect you from.....from...from THEM. Freezing works because you now have the key to let only those legitimate companies that you pre-authorize have your personal information. They have a direct conflict of interest to not have you freeze your information because then you have no need for their monthly monitoring. They are more interested in dangling your personal information to the highest bidder (which includes you), than to act in a responsible manner to protect your personal identity info. Government information is sorely needed here, and is plain to see from there actions to engage crisis marketers to control the fallout, profit from their mistake, and provide as little concrete information as possible to individuals. The one thing that is nearest to a certainty is that the social insurance number, address, birthdate, etc for everyone on this page is now in a data-bank-for-sale, and you can't take it back. You can contact the FCAC in Canada to complain and hope they will enact legislation to protect individuals. At least freezing would put a stop to some fraudulent activity.
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
ok here we go. so somebody opened a chequing account in Scotiabank under my name with 2.5K in overdraft protection. and check this out, the name on the account is my OLD name. pretty much only equifax had it on file. mint and all legal documents I exchanged with all financial insitutions in the last 5 years all had my current name. coincidence?? I called equifax, they deny that customers without US accounts are compromised. the only other agency that still had my old name on file was CRA, I only updated it this spring when I was doing my taxes. but it's been a while already so I don't see why they would wait this long to use the stolen info. Occam's razor is telling me this is due to this Equifax incident. So how do I sue these evil sobs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15749 posts
4654 upvotes
Ottawa
elfion wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:20 pm
ok here we go. so somebody opened a chequing account in Scotiabank under my name with 2.5K in overdraft protection. and check this out, the name on the account is my OLD name. pretty much only equifax had it on file. mint and all legal documents I exchanged with all financial insitutions in the last 5 years all had my current name. coincidence?? I called equifax, they deny that customers without US accounts are compromised. the only other agency that still had my old name on file was CRA, I only updated it this spring when I was doing my taxes. but it's been a while already so I don't see why they would wait this long to use the stolen info. Occam's razor is telling me this is due to this Equifax incident. So how do I sue these evil sobs.
Opened a bank account and the statements are mailed to your current address?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)